57 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 10:47 AM by GemPrincess RSS

Hurricane Sandy..Updates

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This thread can act as a community thread for Hurricane sandy updates.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Somerset, New Jersey, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Somerset
Ewing, New Jersey, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott Marriott Hotel Al Jaddaf, Dubai
  • Re: Hurricane Sandy..Updates

Some info from the northern suburbs of Philadelphia. 3 plus inches of rain.

All times EDT:

2PM   57F,  winds 27mph N, gusts 46 mph

4PM  59F,  winds 33N, gusts 59

6PM  61F, winds 40 NNE, gusts 57

8PM  61F, winds 48 NE, gusts 64

9PM  57F, winds 38 ENE, gusts 62

Interstate 95, I-76, I-476, and Route 1 have been closed through the city of Philadelphia.

Many local streams and creeks above their banks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

In NJ, the Garden Sate Parkway is closed, and many local roads as well.  To be on the road in NJ you need to have an Essential Worker Pass.

No stats as power is out, and TV off.

Looks like Boston is faring better as Northeastern University will be open for classes on Tuesday.

Meanwhile our office in Princeton will remain closed on Tuesda, and they have also closed the CT office.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Spoke to a friiend.  Ithaca University was open today for classes, yet Cornell University which is right across the street was closed today!

No power in NW NJ for last hour.  very windy but not too much rain.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

All is well in Middle Village, Queens, NYC tonight.  Still have electric and no problems.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

newhiltonmembr,

Hang in there!

Hope the power stays on.  What we are seeing in your area is not pretty!

Keep in touch, and make sure you have some batteries and candles.

Thanks very much, Jerry!

I think we've been lucky through this Superstorm!  Haven't been outside so I don't know if there is any damage.  Did see some firetrucks earlier on the next block up but couldn't see what was happening from my windows.

Other areas have been hit much harder than us.

NH,

At least you are home!

I feel sorry for the people that are there that could not, nor cannot get out for home!

Chrisf, should really be happy that he got out, who really knows when a person is going to be able to leave!

Stay safe!

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Was supposed to go ATL-IAD-PIT on Tuesday, flights cancelled, going ATL-ORD-PIT on Wednesday (maybe). Stuck in the ATL Gateway Marriott an extra night. Darn the bad luck. Stuck here with Lake—my favorite bartender at Champions. A wee bit less irritating then bailing from MSY during Issac. Why do I seem to always point myself in the general direction of lousy WX?

Anyone else here?  I'm bored...

jk,

Sounds like your friendship with Lake is going to even get better!

So sorry you are stranded, and hope you get out soon.  Are there any cars to rent? (Like 9/11, not a chance), so just the best to you and your efforts to get out!

It is really much worth North of you.

Take care!

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

Tuesday Morning --- Rain has stopped and wind abated.    I'm in a high rise with generators so have power, but all around lights are out.    Loads of trees are down and we are still being told to stay indoors and off the roads.    Nowhere to go anyway!!     Watched NYC streets turn into rivers last night.    Worst problem was NYU Hospital had to be evacuated as their backup generators failed.      Still moving 250 patients to other facilities, wow our emergency personnel are still the greatest!    

It will take lots of time and $$$ but NYC & vicinity will be back soon and better than ever.

Lots of trees down, thank goodness no water flooding in basement, like I had with Hurrican Irene.  Also, I have lots of huge trees in my backyard, and non of them came down.  Still have no power.

At least 12 people have been killed in NYC by the storm.

80 - 100 homes destroyed by a late night fire last night in Breezy Point, Queens, NYC.

More homes destroyed by fires in Rockaway, Queens.

Just terrible!  Feel very bad for those folks.

http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Tracking_Hurricane_Sandy_2

The news just got worse, as there are now 39 dead.  See below:

http://t.news.msn.com/us/sandys-us-toll-climbs-to-39-82-million-without-power

tragic.

Bucks County, PA ...lots of damage. Trees down all over. Most of folks in area without power. The Pained residence is up and running. We ahve all utilities except cable/internet. I'm sitting in one of the few local food establishments that is open..A Burger King. Luckily, they have WIFI.. 

We are currently hosting 4 families...2 are my wife's brother and sister. My son's friends and family friends are the others. All spirits are high, but it's a bit crowded!!!! 

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Glad you all are safe and sound.  I know you are glad you have power.  And how lucky you are to have found a place with Wifi.  I hope conditions return to normal as soon as possible.

Wish we had power---not expected for another 7 - 10 days!  Libaray has WIFI, bu tthe line is very long.  Streetlights are out, so cops are managing the flow of traffic.  Lots of trees down here.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Lonestar,

Does this mean that you are not from Texas?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Glad you're safe, and fingers crossed on restoring some sense of normal for you soon.

Marriot - My Safe Haven During & After Hurricane Sandy!

Finally ventured out today after loosing power on Monday night.  Turns out the generator at the SHS only can handle the lobby, so it was heated, lit, and we had three TVs with news on, but no internet on Tuesday.  Even after the power went out on Monday night, internet was still working, but by Tues a.m. it was not.  The kitchen was also working so we had breakfast, and a cafe menu.  Staff were amazing!  Many stayed on site, and just couldn't do enough to keep us comfortable, in addition to all their other duties.  On Monday night, after we lost power, I saw Marriott staff walking the perimeter of the hotel with flashlights, inspecting the property and the cars in the parking lot.

Was sort of like being in college, as everyone lived in the lobby, and only returned to rooms to sleep as they were not heated or lit.  Luckily mine had plenty of light from the parking lot lights which must have been powered by the generator.  They had flashlights to hand out to us all so we could get back to our rooms, even though the emergency lights were on in all hallways and stairwells.

Drove north today for a conference in Sommerset.  Decided to drive up US Route 1 as I thought there would be less trees down than Route 206 or 27.  Made it to South Brunswich mid-day, and traffic was creeping.  We were routed off Route 1 (three lanes of traffice down to 1) and then through residential streets (am glad I don't live in those neighbor hoods).

Since traffic was creeping, gave me a good chance to look around and see all the trees that were down (most looked to be large and dead), and uprooted (mostly evergreens as it looks like their root system is not deep but more spreadout at the surface).  Most of the roads that were cordoned off by police (and carry a $500 fine if crossed) had utility poles either down or leaning dangerously low.  Even the residential streets we were routed through, had wires all over the ground.  None of us were sure if they were live, so zig zag'd around them.

Finally made it to the RI in Sommerset.  Luckily I practically lived at the FS when it existed for 2 years, so know all the back streets.  Since Easton Ave was closed, had to zig zag through back streets to get here.  The property had people standing in line out the door for rooms as they have electricity in rooms, as well as TV and internet.

Sure was glad to be platinum and had platinum support block the room for me, as I was the only one to get a room immediately, and they offered to extend my stay by putting me at the top of the queue for cancellations.  So if the office remains closed tomorrow, I will stay another night and enjoy all the things we take for granite, like heat, lighting, TV and internet!

So if you ever wonder what your platinum, platinum premier, lifetime platinum gets you, just go talk to the folks in the lobby awaiting rooms.

Location Brand Hotel
    Somerset, New Jersey, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Somerset
    Ewing, New Jersey, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott Marriott Hotel Al Jaddaf, Dubai

Some additoinal logistical information from colleagues and friends in case its helpful to anyone that needs to travel.

• Our CT office was closed on Tue as they had not power, but as of today (wed) they once again have power and the office is open though some folks are working from home to deal with leaky roofs, fallen trees and no power at home
    • Our Hopewell, NJ office has power and is open
    • Neither Princeton nor New Brunswick have power, and I couldn't even drive as far north as New Brunswick today on Route 1, as they had it closed.
    • Colleagues in Bethlehem, PA are without power.  They are also reporting quite a lite display when the transforms where hit of glowing blue flashes of light, and sparks.  Sounds like they had their own version of Northern Lights.
    • Friends in Derry, NH lost power on Monday nite at 7pm, and had no power as of Tuesday.  No new posts, so they may still be without power as much of NJ is.  I only have power cause I am in a Marriott with power.
    • Northeastern University in Boston is open as of yesterday (Tue).
    • I have pictures from friends in TN of snow on the ground.

In Notrthern NJ, we are still without power.  Someone counted 175 cars waiting in line to get gas.  Trees down all over the place.  People who had generators to heat their house now face the task of obtaining gas to keep it going.  Schools are still closed, i imagine that Sping Recess will be cancelled.  Thank goodness it is not raining, otherwise basements would be flooded.  Flying home tomorrow from FLA, so I will see first-hand what the damage is.

Yikes...that's a tough one L6S... I've got my fingers crossed for you.

We are back to 100% at my house. Many in the area of SE PA are still waiting for power.

My neighbor was stranded there but finally got home this afternoon.

It's going on 11 days and still no power.  Used some of my points to check into a RI ysterday and today.  Haven't been in a Ri in many years.  It was wierd being in one, as I've spoiled myself with full-scale Marrioots over the last 2 years.  Anyway back to the power outage, this just really SUCKS!   Nothing is going my way.  Now it is snowing, and earlier today my BB charge stopped working!  JCPL says the earliest it would be back up is Sunday night and the latest is Thxgiving.

Lone6star,

I am so sorry that so many of you are going through all the aftermath of Sandy.  I don't know your position but my friend's daughter had a natural gas run generator installed a few days ago.  It is enough for her whole house.  She found someone who gave it to her at cost.  She now has power.  Her sister went to a hotel in Pa and it was so noisy that she return home after 2 days and her power went on just as she arrived home.  Hope yours is on sooner than you expect.

Cali, Lone6star,

One of my colleagues also has a generator with a natural gas hook up. When power goes out it automatically switches over to the generator.

Problem is she said it cost $8000 some years ago.

I see the folks with the gasoline generators standing in line at the gas station and that doesn't seem like much fun.

Anyways for the week I spent last year during Irene, and this year during Sandy, its cheaper to stay in a hotel.  For $8K I can have alot of hotel stays and earn points.

Lone6star, another thought is one of the Marriott Execustays. When I relocated here, I lived in one several months, and it was really nice.

I believe the cost is at least $5k.  Will investigate this later in the month.  Have a biz trip next week, then it's Thx giving time.  What used to take 10 minutes to get to a food store, is now triple the time, due to detours and road blockages.  Gas lines have become shorter, but gas is now approacing $4 a gallon,since the generator requires premium unleaded.

I haven't been able to find any open gas stations.  Only driving Middle Village to Lake Success and back.  Go past 4 stations, none are open yet.

Hope some open by Friday or I'm in trouble.

newhiltonmembr,

That really sounds like a bad situation!

I really hope others and you can find a solution, soon.  I cannot understand WHY this has to happen.

Good luck to you and keep us informed!  I really wish there was something more of us could do!

I hope you find gas.  It is hard driving around looking when you are running out.

I hope that all this goes away soon.  The natural gas generator my friend's daughter got normally costs $20K but they got a huge discount.  It depends on how much of your electrical needs you want to cover.  Most want at least refrigerator and heat.

Lone6star,

Not certain how far north you are, but all the gas stations north of Princeton have lines.

When I get to south of Princeton, its just the normal 1 or 2 car wait we have always had.

Not certain if that is too long of a drive.

Also, our gas prices have hovered around $3.60, so it is the lowest I have seen.

When I cross the border into PA the prices were well over $4/gal.

I am north of all of this.  The Gas lines are not an issue any more.  Still without power.  They state that it will be restored either Saturday or Sunday, but no one here is believing it.  I have now booked hotel reservations for my family thorugh Nov 17th to be on the safe side!  Only good thing was that yesterday's Noreaster didnt leave snow on the sidewalks or driveways, so nothing to shovel.  Also, thankfully the Noreaster did not inflict any more damage up here!

I checkin at the local hotel at the first sign of weather that will cause a power outage, before they sell out.

Its also closer to the office, with no bridges inbetween that can flood.

I get a good corporate rate, so for the last 2 years I have spent significantly less than what a generator would cost.

I think at this rate, it would take me 10-20 years to break even on the cost of the generator that my friend has.

You can spend as little as $300 for a generator or as much as $12k.  I presume that your friend paid in the upper range.  The hotel I am at now, is fiilled with local residents.  very few biz travellers here.

We just got our power back on last night afer 2 weeks.  Very draining experience.  Unfortunately, there are still people out there that do NOT have power.  Expect lots of law suits against JCP&L>

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Really glad to read that your power is back on.  That's huge.  Hope things continue to improve in other areas.

Pluto77 - Thanks!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

lone6star,

You have really suffered, even though others may have suffered more.  We were without power last winter in our big storm, for 8 days and I remember how terrible that was.  I hope everyone else in the area gets theirs turned on very soon.  Are you able to get gas in your area yet?  How are food supplies?

TRYT53 - Food is abundant now, and gas lines have dwindled.  So things are pretty miuch back to normal except that there are a lot less trees in the town.  Also, thre is still a lot of cleanup to do regarding trees and branches.

Some of the ones that don't mind the aftermath are the woodturners and firewood cutters, among others.

This is a great opportunity for free firewood!

The $8K generator is hooked into natural gas (no standing in line at the gas station with the cans), and switches on automatically.  Still need to pick and choose which appliances to hookup as its not large enough to drive the entire house.

p.s.  the latest from sunday brunch that I heard is people buying properties in PA, log cabins, with solar, and stock piling propane.

lone6star,

That really sounds difficult at best!

We all send our best and hope this will turn around for you soon!

Jerrycoin and others:  Thanks for your well-wishes---means a lot!

Lonestar,

I noticed this driving back from Somerset to Princeton on Thurs.  Alot of gas stations were closed, but the ones that were open had long lines of cars.

I tried driving down the backroads to 206, but 2 different ones were closed, and I had to back track.  Luckily the sun was out, so whenever I came to an intersection I headed east or south figuring I would need to hit either 206 or 27 at some point.  Eventually landed on 27, but again, everyone was routed off of 27 for downed electrical poles into residential streets. When I finally got back on 27 the road had narrowed, and was almost blocked by the lines of cars on either side of the road standing in gas lines.  Reminded me of the oil embargo in the 70s (probably dating myself here).

Taked to my brother who lives up near Newark airport and he said he stood in line for 2 hr to get gas.  Luckily my car gets 40 mpg, so I made it up to Somerset and back on an 1/8 of a tank.

Also, just south of princeton, I found several gas stations open, with no lines.  Now I am capping off the tank every time I see an open station with no line.  Not something I did pre-Hurricane Sandy.

It's going on 11 days and still no power.  Used some of my points to check into a RI ysterday and today.  Haven't been in a Ri in many years.  It was wierd being in one, as I've spoiled myself with full-scale Marrioots over the last 2 years.  Anyway back to the power outage, this just really SUCKS!   Nothing is going my way.  Now it is snowing, and earlier today my BB charge stopped wotking!  JCPL says the earliest it owuld be back up is Sunday night and the latest is Thxgiving.

Very sorry to hear this lone6star!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Lonestar, I hope you and Newhiltonmember find some relief and are able to return to some semblance of normalcy soon.  Very sorry to read about your trials.  Wish we could help.  Sending warm thoughts, positive vibes and prayers out your way.  Let us know if we can help in any other way.

It would be nice if Marriott would offer space available to Marriott Rewards members in hotel in areas without power.  Rooms could be offered for the cleaning cost when they were not rented any way.  It might be worth asking a local hotel.  It would be good for victims and Marriott would have some good will.

lone6star,

We'll all sorry to hear about this terrible time you're having, and have our fingers crossed for the earlier date!  Hang in there and let us know how things progress, as you can.  Good luck!!

ankingspeech Silver

We have been staying at the Marriott Marquis in Time Square. Our stay was originally schedule to end on Monday 29th, but Hurricane Sandy changed all that.

The hotel staff have been nothing short of magnificent. Despite the strong demand from people in hotels downtown with no electricity the press, people from Hoboken, and now the New York marathon, they took good care of those of us whose flights have been cancelled, and we've been able to stay in our 2 adjacent here without moving - which is really great.

Special thanks to Amanda, Michelle and Eddie at Check In, for their calm demeanour and brilliant professionalism . Not so sure about Antonio though .

The concierge service has also been magnificent - with special thanks to Derrick in the Concierge Lounge on the 30th floor. He and his team have been great in providing useful information and update about what's happening around here. Make sure you check him out when you stay here.

Overall, despite the difficult circumstances, a fine experience all round.

anking,

It's great to hear that the folks at the Marriott Marquis are treating you so well in this trying time. Some rise to the occasion and some fall to pieces....excellent work by the Marquis management and staff.

NathalieF

ankingspeech,

Please enjoy this difficult situation as best you can!

Has anyone at your hotel been "Asked to leave' to make room for the NY Marathon people?