48 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 9:38 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Zurich Switzerland Marriott or Renaissance Zurich Tower

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Sally and I will be going to Zurich and using points.  Has anyone stayed in both (or either recently)?  The Marriott is a catagory 8 while the Renaissance is a catagory 6--easier on points.  Recommend any day trips out of Zurich--Sally does not like to go schlepping form one city to another, so we spend a week in each city.  We will be celebratring wedding aniv # 48--we have spent the previous 10 celebrating in a different city in Europe each year. Jerry I think you have been to Zurich and look forward to your, as well as all others, input.....Bill

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Zurich, Switzerland
Zurich, Switzerland Marriott Hotels & Resorts
Zurich, Switzerland Courtyard By Marriott
Zurich, Switzerland Renaissance Hotels
Zurich-Glattpark, Switzerland Renaissance Hotels
Crans-Montana, Switzerland
  • Re: Zurich Switzerland Marriott or Renaissance Zurich Tower
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

judge,

Yes, I have stayed at all the Marriott properties in Zurich and will gladly share any information with you!  All the properties, including the CY, have pluses and minuses.  I think the first thing to do is make sure which ones are available on points (I could not use points where I am right now, Park City, Utah!).  Now let me also share with you that I have the same "Caveat" on my trips, "One Place for the week", she doesn't mind "Day trips', but no packing and unpacking!

I really like The Marriott, here's why:(I will divide this into individual posts to include pictures on the two main properties)

Central location, and you can walk or take a tram to the train station, or downtown.

Nice CL

Nice staff

Easy access to/from airport, You can take the train from the airport to the train station, but I would recommend a taxi if you have multiple luggage bags.

Nice, scenic view from certain rooms.  I would suggest you look at your room first, then bring your bags to the room, if you approve.

One thing that could be a problem is this is a major convention center hotel and can be very busy, as will the CL be busy. 

The CL is busy, but great food virtually all the time.  It will save you $100+ a day, and you can take the food to your room, if you choose.

Let me share some photo's with you and again, I welcome detailed questions.

One thing I need to share with you is expect prices on most everything to be 4 times what they are in Atlanta.  If you eat at the hotel, expect it to be even much higher than that.  I will point out places that are both reasonable and upscale near the hotel.  I don't have any pictures but have taken the "Cruise" around Lake Zurich, and it was most interesting.  Have plans for "Good weather, and bad weather" touring!

IMG_1472.JPG

This was my room, facing the river, park and downtown, not a suite, but very adequate.

IMG_1473.JPG

View from room of peaceful river and park across river.  The walking bridge takes you right to the train station!

IMG_1475.JPG

For an inexpensive "Touch of home", visit the Burger King at the train station.  You can walk thru it to shop downtown!  Ralph will take good care of you!

IMG_1495.JPG

Department stores like Jemoll, downtown are very clean, safe and diverse.  All walkable, but I would recommend getting a day pass on the trams (From the front desk) and relax and explore the city on the tram!

IMG_1523.JPG

Shopping on small streets like this are a lot of fun for all!

IMG_1478.JPG

We took two "Day Trips" one to Zermatt and another to St. Moritz, both are beautiful and relaxing taking the train.  I think there was one change of train, but very easily done.  Don't forget to take your own snacks, food and wine.  The train food is not too good!

IMG_1486.JPG

In Zermatt, there are many cafe's and this is a fine one that we enjoyed, Wallserkanne.  You can walk throughout Zermatt, no cars are allowed.

IMG_1490.JPG

Scenic Zermatt with The Matterhorn above the city.

IMG_1517.JPG

This is a photo of our train coming back to Zurich from St. Mortitz.

Bill, will have more for you later!  Am in Park City and I have got people waiting for me to show them around!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel

Jerry as always you are the best--I am working on a trial in St Louis so we can meet

theolejudge,

Thanks for the kind words!

Let me know the dates so I can make sure I am there.

Likewise, let me know if I can assist in travel arrangements for making your stay in St. Louis enjoyable.

We can discuss your trip to Switzerland and have a laugh or two!  Will have more on Zurich, and post "Dining in Zurich" soon.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Bill,

I posted some pics of the Zurich Marriott last year... great hotel and CL!  I think the location is better than the Ren.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/29696#29696

As for daytrips, I stayed a couple of nights in Luzern and loved Luzern!!!  (If I were you, I'd consider staying at the Ren in Luzern over Zurich as a base.)  It's only about an hour away from Zurich, I believe.

Here's a couple of pics from Luzern:

264.JPG

334.JPG

You can also daytrip to Rapperswil.  Take the steam boat there and a train back to Zurich.

And, Bern is an easy daytrip by train from Zurich.

Depending on when your trip is, if in spring or fall, you may be able to go to a small town to see the "moo-ving" of the cows where they move the cows from the valley to the mountains in the spring or back down into the valley in the fall... all decked out in their finest bells, flags and flowers.  I really enjoyed that!!!

616.JPG

657.JPG

579.JPG

newhiltonmembr,

Yes, wonderful pictures!

HPIM0034.JPG

By the way, here is a picture of a "Typical" two bed room at the Zurich Renaissance!  Forgive me for showing Dr. Bill and my son Clayton.  I do really like this hotel.  It has a very good CL!

Hi NewHiltonMember!

Thanks those are great pictures and it is the running of the cows and things like that Sally and I enjoy!!  Sally has been doing some reading on our second choice Edinburgh so I am not sure she has narrowed the choice to 1 yet {we start with 5 each time that way if points at hotels Delta FF points etc don't work for one place we have a fall back plan} that said any pictures on Edinburgh?  Thanks .....Bill

Sorry, Bill, the last time I was in Edinburgh was the pre-digital age!!! 

nh,

I have found a way around that problem.  Bought a hand held scanner, like a "Wand" from the local camera store.  Got out some old pictures (You want to be selective) scanned the ones I wanted and loaded them onto the computer. 

This is a great way to save and archive photo's!  Once you have them on the computer you can "Crop", edit, enhance or whatever.  It was a way of preserving "Personal memories"!

Thanks, Jerry!  I do have a scanner and could load those old photos on my computer! Just have never gotten around to it! 

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Thanx for the tip!

I am going to pick one up as most of my photos were pre-digital age as well.  I do have an old, large scanner that was installed on an older computer, but can't find the install disk to re-install on a newer computer

Gemprincess, there are so many lost cost all-in-one printers that have scanners now... you can pick one up for about $100.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

GP,

Almost all the scanner/printer drivers are available out on the web.  If you just google search on the model and search for the word driver, you may find it.  If you want to let me know the brand and model, I can try to locate it, if you don't find it.

Thanx tryt,

Was just wondering if anyone has had good experiences with one brand versus another, or if I should just check my consumer reports and see if they have a review.

GP,

I picked up a "VUPoint Solutions/Magic Wand, model PDS-ST415-VP.  I got it at a local Camera Store and it is great.  It is slender, about one foot long and fits into my brief case.

Good luck!

I have a Canon PIXMA MX882 wireless office all-in-one inkjet printer.  Duplex (2-sided) printing, copier, scanner, fax, etc.  Can put your memory card in it to print or upload photos.

Bought it from tigerdirect.com for $130 about 1 1/2 years ago.

Does way more than I need it to do!

And, eats up too much ink.

I had an Epson for years and liked it.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I figured JC had a secret to getting all these great pictures. Good advise and excellent technique, Jerry.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear Judge,

A few comments on Edinburgh that might help to inform your choice:

1. As far as Marriott is concerned, you will know that there are three choices. The Residents Inn is the newest and the most central; the Marriott is (I've found) the least enjoyable in terms of ambiance, though perfectly functional and with an Executive Lounge; Dalmahoy is undoubtedly the best appointed and impressive site, but it is relatively difficult to access from (a) airport, (b) train station and (c) the city centre, and does not have a Lounge. However, if you and your wife want to play a round of golf, it has two courses, one of which is of championship standard and once hosted the Solheim Trophy.

2. The City itself is relatively small, and the tourist attractions all quite accessible - except perhaps for Rosslyn Chapel of Dan Brown fame, which is charming and well worth seeing, but is several miles from the city itself.

3. It offers great scenic, historical and cultural attractions - but there are some (notably Glaswegians, of course) who say it lacks "humanity" - or words to that effect.

4. Two points to note: (a) climate: during October-March period, Edinburgh is usually cold, and often windy and wet too: in short, it is unwelcoming unless you enjoy discomfort; (b) the Festival - annually during August - is a massive cultural and tourist event and consequently leads to accommodation etc becoming more expensive and less accessible. Ideally I'd go there either in June or the second half of September.

I'll stop there, but please let me know if you feel I could offer any more assistance.

Best of luck,

A

Location Brand Hotel
    Zurich, Switzerland Courtyard By Marriott
    Zurich, Switzerland Renaissance Hotels
    Zurich-Glattpark, Switzerland Renaissance Hotels

theolejudge,

You may want to consider where you can go on points.  Both of the Marriott and Renaissance are fine hotels!

The Renaissance is a little ways away from downtown, but an easy street car ride to downtown.  If you are driving, it is a much easier place to take drives from.

You should consider seeing The Black Forest, and the falls on the Rhine River.  They are the only place on The Rhine that has waterfalls!

HPIM0551.JPG

The Black Forest is "Mystical" and easy to get to from Zurich!

theolejudge,

Please review the post that GemPrincess found of my old post, "Zurich Marriott, a winner"!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear Judge,

One small point to add to the detailed responses from Jerry, NewHiltonM and others,

Timing is a factor. What tends to happen in several European cities - e.g. Zurich, Munich and Heidelberg - is that late-June, July and August sees a significant influx of families from Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States; the male comes for medical checks etc , while the female tends to spend her time shopping. This is fine and perfectly unexceptional in all respects bar one: the Executive Lounges tend to get very full - with many lively kids.

Have a great visit,

A

arkwright,

So true!

I have seen this in London, Paris, and Zurich!  I won't go to Europe between our Memorial Day to Labor Day!

That's the reason I go to Europe in late September... not as hot and less tourists!

A & JC,

Agrree completely!

This June was the 1st time I went over the pond during the summer, and it was just one night before taking a cruise.

Managed to get in and out prior to Wimbleton and the Olympics with af of about $1000 which is decent these days, and used Marriott points in London or would have paid 200+ GBP

Dear A,

Great to know!

Most of my trips have been fall to enjo the wine harvest and visit friends.

Ever since spending my summer in Europe after graduating college and dealing with the crowding, high prices, and lack of a/c, and steered clear of Europe in July and August.  Early June is sometimes okay as many European schools aer still in session.  Come July and European summer hollidays, everything is crowded and expensive.

sg1974 Gold

theolejudge,

I have to agree with NHM, Lucerne and Bern are beautiful places.

We have visited the country several times and these are two of the places that I did really like, and would happily see again.

Very good chocolate shop in Zurich is: Sprungli http://www.spruengli.ch/index.php?lang=en located on Bahnhoffstrasse.

Whilst we were in Lucerne we also did a day trip to Pilatus which was excellent: http://www.pilatus.ch/en/railway-cableways/golden-round-trip/

Switzerland is a beautiful country.

SG

Thanks sg1974!!  Both Sally and I are chocolate LOVERS!

sg1974 Gold

I'm not a huge chocolate lover myself, but would happily revisit Sprungli.

My wife really enjoyed those chocolates.

I'm sure if we are back in the city she will remember where the shop is!

If you like chocolate, you have to visit the Callier chocolate factory in Broc!  Unlimited 'tastings' at the end of the self-guided tour!  Yum, yum, yum!!!

http://www.cailler.ch/en/maison-cailler/attraction/information/

Probably too far to do as a day trip from Zurich.  But easily done from Montreux by train or maybe even Bern... and you could have a fondue lunch in the medieval town of Gruyere!  (I did the chocolate tour and fondue lunch on my drive from Interlaken to Montreux).  They actually have a Chocolate Train tour to both locations from Montruex.

841.JPG

852.JPG

857.JPG

sg1974 Gold

the ole judge,

After seeing some nice photos of Lucerne by NHM I have looked over my photos albums and have a few of my own to add.

Swiss Sept 2008 190.jpg

Swiss Sept 2008 313.jpg

Swiss Sept 2008 323.jpg

Swiss Sept 2008 333.jpg

Swiss Sept 2008 343.jpg

Swiss Sept 2008 344.jpg

Swiss Sept 2008 298.jpg

Pilatus has the world's steepest cogwheel train.

What a view we had from there at 7,000 feet!

sg1974 Great pictures I just bring back memories but each time I see pictures like others take I wonder why don't I do that.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

sg,

Another great set of pictures!!!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews
        Re: Zurich Switzerland Marriott or Renaissance Zurich Tower

So beautiful!!!  What wonderful pictures especially!!

sg1974 Gold

eb5147,

Thanks.

I do really like Switzerland.

Luckily, it is easy to show its beauty through photographs.

SG

sg,

Have never been to Mt. Pilatus, and it sure looks beautiful! 

I did travel on The "Funiculaire" in Crans Montana, (Eastern Side of Swiss Alps) East of Geneva toward Italy, and it too was a wonderful experience.

HPIM0368.JPG

HPIM0374.JPG

As one car goes down, it pulls the other car up! 

HPIM0345.JPG

You can never get too much "Scenery" in CH!

HPIM0479.JPG

Looking down on the lovely city of Sierra!  It is "Under" the low clouds you see!  It was a "Long Way" down, I could NOT drive down, it was too scary for me and I had Dr. Bill drive down, put a coat over my head and prayed!  We didn't go ten feet and he just missed hitting a car!  His first time driving in Europe!

HPIM0334.JPG

I have no idea what this means (Help Pluto!), but it was in the window of one of the shops in Crans-Montana, Switzerland, and caught my eye!

Hope you enjoy!

Location Brand Hotel
      Crans-Montana, Switzerland

Actually, "Think Pink" is an Italian Casual Wear Brand.

History per Wiki link below,

"History

In 1979, a group of young Italian rock climbers began to adapt a free-climbing technique with minimal equipments to enjoy freedom of movement and connect with nature without the burden of gear. They introduced a different approach to staying in tune with nature as well as a new style of attire which places equal emphasis on both style and function. At that time, the color pink was known to stand for freedom and so it was used as the signature for THINK PINK to represent the longing for a lifestyle free of burden."

http://www.thefullwiki.org/Think_Pink_(clothing)