11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2013 9:57 PM by razorbackfan RSS

Pillow Talk?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Back at the Richmond Marriott - a consistently well run hotel.  I was intrigued to see a different pillow configuration on my king bed. 

• I'm used to seeing two rows of pillows on a Marriott bed:
    • the back row being the big square pillows with the fancy case, and
    • the front row being the smaller "normal" sized (home/consumer-size) pillows.
  • This time I've got four identical long (two feet?), rectangular pillows in two rows.  I must say, I really like the pillows.

All of which begs the questions:

• Is Marriott moving to a new pillow configuration?
  • If they're new (or not), do folks like/prefer these pillows?

p.s. I wonder if Marriott will someday go the route offered by the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas (a wonderful property), where they offer a pillow menu, and you can request (through the TV-based menu/information-system) any size and configuration...  It's really quite impressive...

My only other question - which only time can resolve - is whether I'm leaving this hotel later today, or whether I'm going to hunker down here until Sandy passes through DC so I can go home....  Ah, the joys of travel!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Autograph Collection The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Richmond, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Richmond Marriott
  • Re: Pillow Talk?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

ss,

I prefer the regular size pillows. I haven't found a practical use for the giant squares.

I also have no idea if your findings are new "pillow configurations" that will continue brand wide, but I hope it will!

PS... I'm riding Sandy out at home.  She should pass right over my house. We're hoping for the best. Good luck to you and the rest of us!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Good luck to both of your families and you with Sandy on it's way to you. Sounds like NYC is already getting battered and a crane problems due to weather.

Stay in touch, but it sounds like you better prepare for power outages.

Our best to you!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Yes.  Good luck, but staying in one place is probably the best option for this one.  No telling where it's going, or the range.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

pained, hope you and your family are safe.  Do you have power tonight?

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ssindc,

Best wishes to you and painedplatinum and both your families.  We'll all be thinking of you and wishing for a safe storm for you. 

ss, hope you are safe wherever you are.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Maybe the real pillows are in the closet or in one of the draws?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Checking in ... about one year later ... and I am seeing the newer (bigger, better, albeit fewer) pillow configuration more often (including last night at the Miami Airport Marriott).

I agree with painedplatinum, I never much liked the giant squares (and I never knew where to put them)....  The newer, longer, rectangles, however, work great for me...

I'm still surprised how little reaction there has been among Insiders, because I think this is a huge improvement.... 

Sure, I'd love to see more places follow the Cosmopolitan and offer a broad mix of pillows (on request), but, again, I think this was a step in the right direction.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

ssindc,

I love the rectangle pillows, but unlike you I knew where to put the giant square pillows.......I'd hide them from housekeeping any place I could find.  Might find them in the closet stacked up in a pile, could be where the refrigerator once lived in a room where it had been removed, even been known to put them behind the curtain if it went to the floor and didn't look obvious. 

Pillows on request, seems like such a small issue however; makes a customer very happy when they find what the requested in their room.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

ssindc,.... I have been experiencing these queen size (?) rectangular pillows the last couple of weeks. They are the best generation yet of the Marriott pillow.

I had forgotten we had the new rectangular pillows at the Houston Marriott Galleria at West Loop.  I usually take my own pillow with me if at all possible, but I did prefer the new shape.  It is easier to cover my head with a rectangle than a square when my husband snores.