10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2012 7:39 PM by jasper100 RSS

Hot Springs - Rotorua - New Zealand

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Having just read Jasper's posting on the Blue Lagoon in Iceland and spotting some feedback on Yellowstone, I thought that it may be worth checking if any of you experienced travellers have ever been to the hot springs in Rotorua.  We are planning to spend some time in New Zealand next March/April and the guide books / web sites make the Rotorua hot springs look attractive.  However, there is no matching personal experience.

Have any of you visited these hot springs?  Do you have any tips?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rotorua, New Zealand
  • Re: Hot Springs - Rotorua - New Zealand
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes, I have been to the hot springs in Rotorua, New Zealand in February of this year...They are outstanding and you should plan to go there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks Jasper ... do you have any recommendations of location to choose ... there seem to be a number of sites?

I was unaware of a number of sites..I thought they were all in this one location!!!

The books that I have refer to a number of locations around the Whakarewarewa and Te Puia areas.  There is also a park referenced that seems to be in the middle of Rotorua ... Kuirau Park.  In addition, there seem to be a number of thermal pools and spas that sound similar to mini blue lagoons.  Then there seem to be a number of springs/pools just outside Rotorua ... e.g. Rainbow Springs Nature Park, Paradise Valley Springs.  I am just looking for some first-hand experience of what to put at the top of our list.  We are planning to stay there for 3 days.

The only place that I went to on a one day booked tour was the Puia Thermal Reserve while I was in Auckland, New Zealand!!!

Here is a video of the Rotorua, New Zealand that I posted on you tube.

Puia Thermal Reserve - Roturua, New Zealand 18 February 2012 - YouTube

Wow ... you call that a hot 'spring'!! Looks more like a major main-line burst ... stunning!  We've just got to see that. 

I've also had a look at the other videos ... looks excellent.  I don't tend to look at You Tube ... I may have to change my mind.

How long were you in NZ?  Any other recommendations?

I was in New Zealand from 2/15/12 through 2/28/12 on a Tauck Tour that included a Private Jet for 40 passengers that took us from place to place. Our itinerary was:

Auckland, New Zealand - Wonders of Waiheke Island and Maori Traditions

Wellington, New Zealand - Exploring Historic Wellington

Anau, New Zealand - Mussels on Marlborough Sound and Cruising the Milford Sound

Queenstown, New Zealand - Wine Tasting and More in Queenstown, Shotover Jet Boat & Helicopter Tour - and one of the highlight of the tour Skipper's Canyon

On our own, we did a tour of Christchurch, New Zealand as Tauck cut this part of the tour out due to the Major Earthquake there!!!

Here is a group of videos I put on you tube that I placed here on Insiders that got deleted:

https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sq=new+zealand

Seems like a lot of my New Zealand postings were also deleted for some reason as I had posted this as well as many others that don't seem to be on Insiders anymore!!!

NathalieF

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...