41 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2012 2:33 PM by californian RSS

Hawaiian Tsunami Evacuations - All Islands

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Were you affected?

Hearing about tsunami warnings and evacs on all islands.  Hoping that all is well among Hawaiian residents and travelers alike.  News agencies are reporting that it was not as bad as expected.  If you were affected by it, let us hear from you.

Tsunami hits Hawaii after Canada earthquake - World News

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hawaiian Tsunami Evacuations - All Islands
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Pluto77,

fortunately my home isn't located in a tsunami inundation zone and I had no need to evacuate.  I was, however, at the grocery store when my phone started going off with alerts.  I left just as traffic began getting bad with everyone rushing to stock up on supplies, get gas, and/or evacuate.  Got home just as the sirens began to sound and spent the rest of the night watching TV, on FB, sleeping, and on here! 

I known alrenaissace had a grand time having free drinks at the bar of the Waikiki Marriott!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Glad to hear that you fared well.  Since the tsunami was triggered by an earthquake near southwest Canada, it causes me wonder if the evacuation zones would have just been for the northeast sides of the Islands.  I read that hotels weren't necessarily making guests evacuate, but were telling lower floor guests to move up to higher floors and for higher floor guests to 'make new friends.'

Sounds like some may need a nap today.  Glad all is well.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Pluto,

I have been told that all buildings built after a certain date will withstand them.  The lower 2 floors might get some damage and so they move everyone up higher.  I have been to the islands during alerts before and was lucky since there was never a really bad one while I was there.

Thank you Pluto77.  Thankfully, this one turned out to be nothing, just as the last few, though the local news made it sound like it was going to be at least a little devastating.  That being said, the South shore was evacuated, as officials were afraid that a wrap around effect would have endangered those areas as well, despite the tsunami coming from the North.  But yup, "vertical evacuation" is a standard procedure for us now to minimize gridlock. 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

khrarada46,

Glad to hear you are doing fine!

By the way, what happened to the Renaissance near Ala Moana Mall?

That was a great place!

Your information is really appreciated to all of us "Mainlanders" and our Asian counterparts, we really need to have information from Hawaii.

jerrycoin,

Thank you!  Yes, the tsunami turned out to be nothing at all, not even a small wave. 

As for the Renaissance near Ala Moana, that was the Renaissance Ilikai Waikiki Hotel.  I remember having one of my school functions there and my fiancee and I went there years ago to eat at the Italian restaurant named Sarrento's Top of the "I" located on the top floor of the Ilikai.  The hotel and restaurant are still there, the restaurant remains unchanged, but the hotel is no longer owned by Marriott.  The hotel is now owned by an investment firm and is managed by the local company Aqua Hotels & Resorts.  I think the Ilikai now only has about 200 rooms, with the rest being converted into condo units.  From what I hear, what remains of the Ilikai is not doing so well.  http://www.oyster.com/hawaii/hotels/the-ilikai/

I believe a portion of the hotel was also converted into the Edition Waikiki (which houses Morimoto Waikiki), but was converted into the Modern Waikiki when the hotel owners illegally ousted Marriott as the property manager and installed Aqua Hotels & Resorts as the manager of that property as well.  Too bad, I wanted to try staying at the Edition, but I don't think I will anymore as I do not want to support the owners for their unjust actions against Marriott. 

kharada46,

Thanks for the update, and thank-goodness your story is not the same as our East Coast, USA!

By the way, having been to Hawaii only six times, it always got better each time!  I wanted to ask you if Michelle's at Colony Surf is still there as well as Spat's at the Hyatt.  They were wonderful places to go, but I enjoyed Honolulu better than any of the other Islands.

Thanks for bringing back such great memories!

Jerrycoin,

Are you on the East Coast?  If so, hope you're holding out ok!  It looks pretty awful out there! 

Michelle's at the Colony Surf is still there.  I believe it is the last bastion of old Hawaii fine dining.  Local landmark restaurant John Dominis closed a few years ago, leaving Michelle's as the final one.  Unfortunately, Spat's is no longer there.  Hyatt recently finished renovating and had replaced all previous restaurants in the process.  Now they have 3 new restaurants:  Shor American Seafood Grill, Japengo (Japanese fusion), and Swim (poolside).  Fortunately, I hear they're pretty good, but haven't been able to try them myself yet.  Even though we've lost many old favorites, a lot of new and exciting places have been popping up recently.  Let me know if you need any dining tips for Honolulu!  I'd be more than happy to help! 

(I'm debating doing some bog posts on Honolulu dining )

kh,

Glad to hear about Michelle's it used to be right across from the Zoo, and one night Joan Rivers was sitting next to me, and was she ever great looking!

Went to John Dominis a few times and it was so spectacular.  I had never been to a place that had so many fish, lobster and seafood literally swimming around you that you "Could pick them out and eat them"!  It was a wonderful scenic place right on the water!

I am actually traveling (Every week) and am in Park City, Utah.  This is a wonderful place, and I will have pictures and information shortly.  Salt Lake City was also wonderful today!

Thanks for the memories, we may need to have a "World Tour Event" in Honolulu!

By the way, I like the idea of a "World Tour Event" in Honolulu

kh,

Yes, it is a good idea, but where would you suggest it be held?

jerrycoin,

that is an excellent question.  There aren't many "free" space that are good to mingle here besides public parks, beaches, or going to a restaurant...  where would you prefer to have this event if ever?

kh,

I would be inclined to lean toward the Marriott in Honolulu.  People could then go to the beach, walk, dine, or do whatever very easily.  I am not a resort person, not time sharer.  I respect their views and value their investments, but would really only enjoy casual "Get togethers".

jerrycoin,

that is a great point.  I was thinking either Waikiki Marriott as well, or the JW Marriott Ihilani, but that property is pricey and isolated, so Waikiki Marriott it would be! 

kh,

Yes, there are many that would be inclined to visit but have never been there before.

Your information on traffic is so valued.

To rent a car and leave on the street is so valuable.  You know if you leave your car on the street 5 minutes past time, you will be towed!

kh,

There is a very good "Pub" type place that has multiple locations that is "Pacific rustic" that I ate ate tow locations while in Honolulu.  One location was not far from the Mall, the other was out close to the The Navel Hospital, and had great burgers!

Can you help me with the name?  It was a wonderful place to have bar food!

jerrycoin,

Michelle's is still in the same place   Have you ever had brunch there?  It's the first Sunday of every month only, but last time I went, the had an amazing "gold coast omelet" that was filled with crab, lobster, and scallops!  The also had a good wagyu beef "loco moco."  But the food must have been just secondary to Joan Rivers! 

But yeah, John Dominis was amazing!  Great views, great food, great ambiance.  I miss that place, but I also look forward to trying the new restaurant there: 53 By The Sea

You travel every week?  I must get travel tips and advice from you!  Utah must be nice if you can get out to the scenic locations!  Can't wait to see your pictures and info!

Anyhow, can't think of a Pub type place near Ala Moana or the Naval Hospital.  Is there a certain dish you can remember?  We have a few of Irish Pubs in Chinatown, one of which serves amazing NY style pizza. 

Kh,

So good to hear the report from you!

I am following the East Coast storms on FOX and they are doing great reporting.

Don't worry about the name of the places, it was popular but may be gone!

I think a lot of people would enjoy the area!

jerrycoin,

I've been glancing at the reports here and there, it seems pretty intense!  Hopefully everyone pulls through ok.  But saw some interesting things too like sharks swimming in flooded residential areas of NJ, and soldiers continuing to stand guard in the driving rain at Arlington. 

If I can think of something, I'll let you know! 

kh,

That was absolutely fantastic that the guards at "The Tomb of The Unknown  Soldiers" stood their ground!

Bless out troops, and hope the recovery is a quick one for all!

Agreed! 

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

We should be honoring our troops more often, like at every sporting event.  Not enough is stated about what they do.  It's a shame what the media reports on their front pages,

very true!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

lone6star wrote:

We should be honoring our troops more often, like at every sporting event.  Not enough is stated about what they do.  It's a shame what the media reports on their front pages,

Is there a post of the year award?  If so, this one gets it!

Husker and Lonestar,

Did you see the Marine throw the pitch at the last (think it was the last) World "Serious" game?  Awesome!!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

pluto -- I sure did and my emotions got the best of me.  And then to see the great Willie Mays, a veteran himself, was icing on the cake.  Here's another great American who takes care of the troops.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

It sure looked like he threw a strike, too.  I'm sure he brought proud tears to the eyes of many Americans.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I will second this.  I am extremely superlative of our troupes.  Living close to San Diego I have the opportunity to meet many and their families.  They are wonderful people.

I taught some classes at El Toro years ago and they were the only classes where every single person passed.  I can tell people how to study and prepare for tests but they are the only ones who listen and follow orders.  It was a great experience.  That was when I started going to the air shows.  My students had been working really hard in preparation and asked me to go.  It was nice because I really knew the base and where to park and such.

Cal,

Whoa.  That takes me back.  I was stationed at MCAS El Toro.  Great duty station.  The IT work wasn't as invigorating as other assignments, but the base and location was great.  Frequently jogged perimeter road and often as would happen, I (and others) would be jogging the point in the road that crossed under the end of the flight line when the jets would take off, their afterburners kicking in.  Boy can the vibration shake one to the core! 

Sometimes, being the greeny that I now am, I take the Amtrak to visit my folks in Carlsbad.  The track goes right by the base, and I can see the warehouse where I used to work on the second floor, and it sort of makes me sad to see all of the weeds growing up through the cracks in the pavement of the parking lots and the flight line.  It just seems to be a ghost town now, that quietly whispers of glory days gone by.

kharada, there was on article on MSN that included these pictures and said they were fake.  They were actual pictures, but not taken during Sandy.  The same article also showed shots of NYC with storm clouds in the background, but they were also real pictures, but not taken during Sandy.  You might still be able to find this article if you want more information.

razorbackfan,

that's unfortunate that people would use fake pictures like that... especially during a natural disaster.

When there must be lots of real pictures, I don't know why people think they have to post a fake picture.  By the way, the article is still available on MSN.  I did hear a scientist say that it really is possible for sharks to have been washed up.

Agreed!  Perhaps people are looking for their chance in the spotlight?  Either way, its unfortunate that people would do such a thing.  Thanks for the heads up!

When I lived on Oahu in the early 80's, John Dominis was our choice for special occasions.  I was so disappointed when I visted a few years ago and discovered it was closed.

Yes, we were disappointed as well when we learned of its demise.  It was a favorite special occasion place for all that lived here.  The new restaurant is quite nice (from what I see in pictures) but doesn't do the original restaurant justice.  Be prepared for more changes, though, as that entire area, including the Ward shopping centers, are slated for MAJOR re-development. 

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

We we're staying at the Kauai Marriott resort once during a warning.  Announcement came over the loud speaker, but we we're considered OK since we were on the 6th floor.  As it turned out, there were no issues.

Was that for the tsunami generated by the earthquake in Japan last year?  If so, lucky you were on Kauai and not in Kona.  A lot of hotels were damaged in Kona because of the mild tsunami that hit.  I think some still haven't re-opened... but at the same time, Marriott gained a second hotel in Kona after the tsunami...

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

No this was maybe 5 or 6 years ago?  Turned out to be nothing, but I was impressed by their warning system.

Ah, I see.  Lessons learned in the devastating 1960 tsunami still haunt those that experienced it.  Our government has vowed to never let that happen again!  Better safe than sorry is the motto now, even if it turns out to be nothing more than an inconvenience

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...