20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 3:06 PM by kharada46 RSS

Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone stayed at the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche?  Please share your experiences with the property and transit!  Looking to stay here next November for a few nights on points.  Recommendations for Rome would also be greatly appreciated!  ,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

khardarada46,

There has been much written about this property, I personally have not stayed at this property.  The reports have been so mixed that that is discouraging to me.   Likewise, there are so many other great choices offed by Marriott's in Paris.

Please go to the "Professor's" and others previous posts on this property.

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

kharada,

I've stayed there.  It was a fair stay for the price, but there are better properties in central Paris if you can afford it.  The closest metro station is about .25 mile walk (very easy) from the hotel.  Use metro line 6 (light green) from Saint-Jacques all the way to metro line 1 (yellow) at Charles de Gaulle Etoile for the Champs-Elysees or else metro line 6 to Denfert-Rochereau (1 stop), change to RERB (blue) to get to the 1st. Arr.  The metro is easy to use.  Plan Interactif des transports en Ile-de-France

Pros:

Less expensive than other central Paris Marriotts.

Polite, professional Concierge (my opinion)

Rewards category 7 (so you save some points over the other central Paris Marriotts, which are all Cat. 8)

I've read a couple of reports here from members who said they enjoyed the surrounding neighborhood and restaurants.

With the metro only 1/4 mile away, you can get to anywhere in Paris in short order, just not as quick as when staying at other Marriott properties.

Cons:

Smaller rooms and bathrooms, but still very doable if the price is right.

The decor/architecture is smart and up to date, but not quite as visually pleasing as other properties, IMO.

A bit farther off the beaten path than other properties, but again not bad for the price, and if you don't mind the 1/4 mile walk to the metro, not really a problem.

During my stay in 2007, we had climate control issues in our room (very warm; a/c didn't work well).  May have been an anomaly, maybe not.

One platinum member posted that she was treated very rudely by front desk, and made to pay for a room upgrade.

It is a conference center, so it's geared more towards the business guest, not the leisure guest.

I can't say I would never stay there again, but would opt for other Marriott properties first.  If minding one's nickels is imperative, then this is an acceptable property for the cost, in my opinion.

pluto77,

Thank you for the excellent information!  Unfortunately, price/point cat. is a sticking point for me, as we will be making stops in NYC and a few cities in Italy.  I'm trying to keep the properties at Cat 6 or lower, but still have them be at least Marriott or AC, not CY or RI, as (from what I understand) you lose some Elite benefits (CL access) at these properties.  If cost wasn't an issue, then the Renaissance Arc de Triumph would have been my first choice

Thanks again for your great tips! 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

kharada46,

If you are going to be there on a "Week-end", I would recommend Renaissance La Defense.  Pluto has stayed at that property as well as I (Not together) and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

It is a "Hub" for trains and metro, but if you drive don't attempt this place without knowing exactly how to find it.  There is much shopping, reasonable dining, and only minutes away from C-E, Louvre, etc.

Let us know how we can help you!

jerrycoin,

I'm actually (planning) on going for my honeymoon next Nov.  We plan on going to NYC, then Paris and Disneyland Paris, and then on to Italy.  Haven't fully planned it out yet, as we need to time it so that we are at DLPR during the week (we'll be exchanging DVC points for DLPR room nights) to avoid higher rates.  Not sure where in Italy we will be staying yet either, as we will be traveling to there via TGV, and the line ends in Milan.  I do want to go to Bologna and Rome, however.  But because we have limited points (about 250,000 after our wedding at Ihilani), we need to conserve as much as possible!  Will probably pay out of pocket for cheaper properties/shorter stays.  If you have any recommendations on where to stay for any of our destinations and/or what to do/see, I'd greatly appreciate it! 

jerrycoin,

I think I actually looked at Renaissance La Defense too.. It looked a little far, so I ruled it out, but please do share your experiences there!  I would consider there too.  Thanks!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Kharada,

If price is a priority, then I think you will be satisfied at Rive Gauche (are you paying cash or points?  also same question for Paris Disneyland.)  But also, about Ren. La Def., while it is farther away on the map (3.75 miles from the center of Paris to be exact), it is actually faster to get to central Paris on the metro from Ren. La. Def. than it is from Rive Gauche.  (I have stayed at both hotels now.)  Additionally, if you can get upgraded to a larger corner room, you will love it.  It's a beautiful room with a view of the La Defense Arch.  Ren. La Def. also has a CL, not sure about Rive Gauche.  Check the hotel website.  If you stand on the steps of the La Def. Arch, you can see the l'Arc de Triomphe in the distance.  I really liked the Ren. La Def.  Another thing to look for, is in the fall, Marriott often has some good deals, especially with the Vacation Clubs.  Check your elite offers page for a 35-40% discount at MVCI's.  You can get a stellar deal at the MVCI Disneyland.

The train from Paris to Italy should stop in Bologne.  As for Rome, Grand Flora is THE place to stay - fantastic - but also the priciest.  Again, check for deals.  Many here have posted about the Rome Central Park Courtyard.  I have been there, but not stayed there (sounds strange, I know.  I met family members that were staying there.)  Folks who stayed there seemed to like it okay, but be careful, as the regional trains to/from central Rome stop at 9pm.  If there is anyway at all that you can stay at the Grand Flora or the Boscolo in Rome on your honeymoon, go for it!  Let us know if you have any other questions.

Pluto77,

After the helpful tips from you and Jerrycoin, I think I'm going to shoot for Ren. La Def.  We will be staying on points, and it's a Cat 6, so shouldn't be too bad.  As for Disneyland Paris, we actually have ownership with Disney Vacation Club, so we were planning on staying at a Disney property.  I wasn't aware of a Marriott property near Disneyland Paris.  How is that property?  Hopefully the fall deals extend through Dec. as we won't be able to make any reservations till then. 

But yes!  I was looking at trying to stay at Boscolo.  Thanks for the train tips as well.  I was planning on at least overnighting at the different cities we see in Italy.  So for Rome was looking at Boscolo on points, and was going to pay for the stay at the AC in Bologna.  Milan, not too sure where we'd stay yet (if we overnight at all there). 

Thanks again for the great info!

Thanks Pluto77.  I'll give it a try!  I do already have the premier card, though.  Perhaps when the time comes, I should book book Boscolo first since it's a Cat 8... I'll check current availability for next month and let you how it goes! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...