78 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2014 10:39 PM by jerryl RSS

Resort fees for elite guests

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

When hotels charge a resort fee that mainly covers free Internet, do you feel that Platinum guests should not have to pay or at least get a discount?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Resort fees for elite guests
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I agree.  However, I recently stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott and it looks as if my resort fee ($25) was waived.  I stayed as a Gold, but was given the kama'aina (local) rate, so I'm not sure if the fee waive was due to the kama'aina rate or the Gold status.  They did give me an "Elite password" to access the wifi network.  I guess it just depends on the property

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

That is good to know.  Next time I will call the hotel direct and ask if they will do that.  The resort fee was a contributing reason why I didn't go there this fall.

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

It would certainly be nice to have the resort fee waived since I am in the middle of a day night stay here. Another things I may politely try and inquire about.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

The resort fee also includes parking, as well as a package of discount coupons at some properties (which admittedly may or may not be useful), I believe.  Kamehameha and Waikoloa come to mind.  A lot of elite members have expressed displeasure with the resort fee. I see it more as just the cost for parking, but if an elite guest isn't using a private or hired car during their stay, I can see how it would indeed be annoying.  As for parking fees in general (not necessarily related to the resort fee), in high density locales, I can understand parking fees, but there are some low density locales that charge exorbitant rates for parking, which I find offensive.

The Waikiki Beach Marriott's fee doesn't include parking.  I think if it did, it would be more bearable, however, the fee provides features that are normally free to Elites!

"Resort Fee plus applicable taxes includes high speed internet access, local calls, long distance/international calls up to 60 mins. per day, faxes up to 20 pages per day, daily Fitness & Cultural classes, $10 off Stand Up Paddle or Surf lesson, local newspaper and one Mai Tai drink per day."

kharada,

That would indeed be annoying if you don't need or want any of the inclusions listed for your resort fee, except the free wifi, which you would expect to get free anyway as a gold or plat elite customer.  From Cal's comment, it sounds like the RF is a relatively new charge.  Sort of like airlines charging for bags and meals now?

I am here now at Waikiki rsort, and I get wifi (normally $12.95 a day) and my better half goes to the free aerobic classes. Am I missing out on a free drink (cocktail) everyday? Nobody mentioned that to me, yet the front desk lady when I arrived late the first night seemed to have an attidude problem. I guess I should call down and inquire. thanks.

alrenaissance,

did you at least get an Elite discount card for the Marriott owned eateries?  No idea how the free drink works, I'm guessing it's by room key?  Even though they mentioned the resort charge to me at check-in, I wasn't informed of all the features included... I bet the drink amenity is "omitted" at the front desk so people don't take advantage of it...   I would ask about it so long as your paying the fee.  But if you can get the fee waived, all the better! 

Dang. Thanks Kharada, it seems I am missing out on any potential ammenities. I will check on Elite dining card, and you are probably right about things being ommitted like the free drink!

alrenaissance,

here's the card!

photo1.JPG

WOW!  That is too cool!

Thank you very much Kharada!  You are like me, and save everything!  I will make copy and show to the front desk. I really appreciate it!

For this, I am going to "follow" you on Insiders if you do not mind.

Have a good day!

Al

By the way, I really like your Avatar. Thoe colors combined (like a sunset) are my favorit color combinations of all time.

You are very welcome alrenaissance!  Hopefully it helps you.  And thanks for the follow! 

By the way, my Avatar is actually a sunset picture I took from inside an ocean view room at the JW Marriott Ihilani.  The graphic is the window sticker! 

Yep. That picture is beautiful!

So the fron desk issued me the card you showed me in your link now, and I will se where that gets me. Thanks again!

Next step is to work on the free drink. Do you think it is related to the room key?

The room card does say "Platinum Elite" on it. The girl working did not seem to know much, so I figured I would go talk to the nightime manager and see about the whole free drink thing.

alrenaissance,

That's great to hear!  I would assume the free drink is related to the room key, but I unfortunately do not have any experience with that.  My last stay there was a 1 night stay for a friend's wedding over at the Hyatt.  So we weren't on property much. 

Hopefully you get better luck with the night manager!  Service does tend to be VERY hit or miss at that property...  Which is sad, because (while not the best), I do like the property.  The CY, on the other hand, has consistently good service, but I don't care much for the property...  I only go there because it's the only place on the island I can redeem my Visa Cat. 1-5 certificate! 

Jojoangel Platinum 1 Reviews

I Agree hit or miss.  I was just there the 6th thru the 14th and started out fabulous with upgrades and meal discounts and just phenomenal service.  Had an issue and the night manager was good it seemed but no follow up and sadly she did not do what she said.  i filed a complaint with corp when i got home and next day manager at hotel contacted me.  It was then handled to my satisfaction.

i Will go back next year and hopefully all will be well.

Jojoangel,

wow, we were there at the same time... I was there for just the 13th thru 14th!  I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end.  If only this property could have consistently good services like the CY, it would be so much better (though the addition of CL and removal of resort fee and resort status would make it even better!) 

Things are getting better. I really appreciate your assistance!

I will file a more detailed report near the end of my stay on what worked well and what did not.

I am very thankful for all of the Insiders help. It is so nice to get quick feedback on here on just about any subject.

IT REALLY MAKES ME FEEL BETTER TO BE AN INFORMED TRAVELER!!

alrenaissance,

That's great to hear!  I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacay and look forward to seeing your full report!

Hi Kharada and others.

So the Tsunami alert just went off 2 hours ago, and National Guard are down in the lobby.

I am not too personally worried as I checked stats and severity.

Some people are making it out like a 100 foot wave is coming and are getting way too carried away.

Almost like the wave is carrying them away!!! LOL!!

Here is my present Hawaii situation:

I was acting all casual in the front lobby today, and just happened to strike up a friendly conversation with a Marriott employee. We were talking a bit, laughing and stuff, and I eventually tossed in that I was a Plat member and had no idea what was going on with the free drink a day thing, but at this point I was not going to worry about it too much. Another 10 minutes or so went by, and he asked me to hold on a minute, and I said sure, no problem.

He then returned with about A DOZEN free drink certificates and said "Enjoy!"

I was very pleased, and thanked him very much.

Now with this Tsunami thing (alert) going on, I am just sitting at the pool bar putting a few away, ON THE HOUSE!!!

Some cool talking with some cool people can work wonders!    Sometimes people get so upset, and a few kind words can remedy it all!  This is how I always try to fix things and it seems to work for me a little too often.  I do count my blessings!

Maybe I am one cool, smooth dude!!! LOL!!!

Hey Al, Glad to hear you're waiting out the tsunami warning with a couple of drinks!  I was worried that it might have derailed the vacation of some, or much worse.  This is good news!  And yes, you are one cool dude.

Hi Ms. "Rose" Pluto!

Long time no talk to.

Well, drinking helped to "derail" everything being closed down there, so I come homw to Pittsburgh today to find in a big mess in my yard from this "Sandra Storm"!

Is it time for more drinking again.......................hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Hope all is well, and thank you for your concerns! - Al

Thank you for the "cool dude" statement.

All you guys/gals on the Insiders get my head real big, which I like!

The drinking makes my head feel real big also, but in a way I hate! (hangover!)

Thanks!

alrenaissance,

haha, apparently you are a legend!  I should learn to be more of a social butterfly too

Kharada, HA HA!!

Well you're well on your way to becoming a socialite by participating on the Insiders here. A very good start!

alrenaissance,

No kidding!  More fun = more expensive!  Hopefully you get your points situation straightened out!  I had a similar incident last year, but it was such a short stay (and at a CY) that even though I was missing half my points, it was only 200 pts.  Thankfully got it cleared up in a couple of days though. 

But no prob!  I'm glad you enjoyed Oahu!  I'm always willing to help, just let me know!  I can even refer you to some great local websites on dining/night life/events!  And thanks for the offer!  I'll keep that in mind! 

Thank you very much!

Did spend a littlr coin down there, but being short in excess of 30,000 points is prety heavy duty!

I faxed them some stuff today, and have a nice lady who is going to look at everyhting. I am supposed to call her tomorrow, so I shall report what happens.

If I lose those points I am going to hit the ceiling!

I am keeping my fingers crossed, but fortunately for me I am the type of person who kept a copy of my final folio, which is in excess of 6 pages long! (When I party, I party hardy!)  LOL!

Al,

I don't think it should be a problem, but if it does, I'd hit the ceiling too!  But that's why, like you, I keep all my folios!  That's incredible, though, 6 pages?!  That must have been "a little coin"  

Well my friend, concerning the point discrepency I experienced, here is what happened:

I called Plat. rewards, and they told me that although they can usually pull up any hotel folio, that it was only true for the continental U.S.

The first rep I got hold of took personal charge of my situation. She asked me to fax a copy of my folio to her, with "urgent attention" written on it, to make to her attention, and to put her ext. number on it.

I did so promptly, and she said to call her back at the extension personally after 30 minutes and talk to her. I called back about 45 minutes later, and they said she was not answering her line, but when I looked in my account (via the smartphone app!) an hour later, she had recouped the 33, 435 points I was missing, and they had already posted!!!

Generally, if I have a point issue, they always tell me that it will take until after midnight to update in the system, yet 90 minutes after I made the first initial call, there they were! I was very impressed.!

I always seem to get good people on the platinum customer service end. So, once again I am happy! LOL! - Al

Since she took personal charge of the situation, and resolved it to my satisfaction so quickly, I was thinking of referencing her in the "spirit to serve" part of the forum here which I have never done before. What do you think? Do you know which section I am talking about for outstanding employees and the like? I have not seen it for awhile, but I think there is something like that on the Insiders.

I have her name, and extension, and although I would not publically list her extension, I really feel that I should say something somwhere about what a good job she did. People love to write things when things go sour, but I am a strong supporter of writing about positive experiences, especially!

Al,

That's great to hear!  I'm glad everything worked out for you and so quickly!  I would definitely write about her, as you are correct, most postings about service are usually about bad service.   Haven't heard of the spirit to serve part of the forum, but opening a discussion might work just as well? 

Thanks. I agree. I just sent you a personal message but noticed I spelled your name wrong. A thousand pardons! LOL!

You should definitely write Marriott about your situation.  People really get some special recognition if the complement comes from a platinum person.

I am going to do something. So many people are so negative these days. I will let you know what happens.

Hi Al,

That's really great to hear!  If you would like to nominate her for a Spirit to Serve award, click on Groups and Topics, then scroll down the list until you see Spirit to Serve.  Click on that, then click on the button 'nominate an associate for this prestigious award', and then follow the instructions from there.

Thank you Pluto. That is very helpful!

al,

haha, I try

erc Platinum

Big Al

Glad to hear you're having a good time and all is well. Here's a tip; when you hear it go from tsunami warning to blizzard watch put away your free drink comp certificates and take a nap, you've had enough!

erc

Somebody told me that all of this free drinking is going to effect my decision making, so you may be right ERC, I simply can't decide!

LOL!!!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Al,

That's a neat story.  You're right, the more you talk to people, the more enjoyment you get, and it pays off in some extra things you never expect.  Glad to hear you're weathering it out OK.

Thanks Tryt53.  I went through all of the boring Engineering undergrad so I could finally realize my true extrovert potential with the MBA, and talking to people and learning new things is about my favorite thing to do. Thus explains my love of travel and things like this forum, I guess!

Weathered it out OK to get home today to deal with the mess this SANDRA Storm caused. **** all over my yard!

I was there when they had a tsunami alert.  I was leaving that day and was afraid that the road closure might make me miss my flight so I headed for the airport really early.  That way I could return the rental car before possible damage to it.  Flights were delayed since no airline wanted to have their planes on the ground.  It turned out to be a very long day and the tsunami was not much.  Since I was in the airport I didn't see any of it.

So you went through this nusience as well.

I figured it was training as the actual wave was like 6 inches high.

Real problem is I just got home today and found all of the stuff on my front and rear decks blown all over my yard from this SANDRA Storm business!

Uggh!

Could barely make a path to the front door, it is still pouring rain, and it is about 38 degrees!

Not nice to come home too.  Might have to head out again soon!

Al,

That's quite some luck you've had.  First heading to an island where a tsunami warning is issued, then come home to a super storm.  Thankful that you managed to fare well on both ends!  (Well, except for the mess.  Hope it's just leaves, and not tree trunks, parts of houses, live wires , etc.)

I second that!  News reports on the East Coast have been pretty grim...  Hope all is well for you Al!  And I hope everyone affected by the storm will be able to recover quickly! 

Thank you for your concern Ms. Pluto. After closer examination no permanant damage, except for one gutter portion. Just a big mess!

Always a price to pay for fun!

I do not know how, but within 12 hours they had my points posted for this stay in my Marriott account. Should have been 66,455 but they credited 36,450.

Quite a big discrepency! I will be calling tomorrow!  (?????????)

Hi Kharada!

I just wanted to say "thank you" and talking to the right people a little did the right things for me!

The manager situation worked f;awlessly. Please see the other posts I put in just a few moments ago.

Do you want to stop by and help me use up a few of these free drink comp certificates???

I am at the pool bar area, during this Tsunami alert!

thanks again! - Al

Hi alrenaissance!

Now that's the way to wait out this tsunami!  I'm just sitting at home watching TV.  I'm glad things worked out for you in the end though.  You must be a really cool dude!    Thanks for the tempting offer, but HPD has closed off all access to Waikiki!  You folks are isolated now.  Be safe and enjoy your tsunami watching from the bar! 

Yeah, I am a regular "legend in my own mind' LOL! I am a real social butterfly, so I think it pays off a lot!

Always a price for fun!

Thing that has me bewildered is they posted my Marriott points to my account within 12 hours?????????????

Way off - Gave me 36,450 where should be 66,455!  Will be looking into this pronto!!

thanks for you assistance during my trip. Made it so much nicer!

If you are ever in Pittsburgh, PA I can give you a lending hand! LOL!  - Al

I checked when I thought about staying and was told it covered a class, Internet and some phone/fax.  That was it.

Parking is another issue and I agree with you.  There are many out of the way places that charge high rates.  I try to find alternate parking when I can.  A few weeks ago, I was at the Monterey Marriott and parked in the street for free as opposed to paying for valet parking.

In many cases resort fees include Wifi as the main component which as a platinum, I get for free.  I am reading Kharada's comments and that is what one would get at the Waikiki Marriott, Wifi, phone (I use my cell) and a class which I would not take the time to take part in.  Pretty much every thing in the package is given to elites for free but we are still charged.  It seems to me that we should not have to pay the fee or at least be given a big discount.  I think it waters down what we have earned.

I read a travel article and people really don't like the RFs.  As they explained, they take what used to be free and break things out and charge for them in the form of a RF.  that way their advertised price looks cheaper.  Also, if we stay on points, we have to pay.  Before RFs our stay was completely free.

I found the Monterey Marriott parking situation to be frustrating, as if you opt out of the valet parking (which wasn't cheap, around $28-$30/day if memory serves correctly), your only option is a parking structure, but it's a few blocks away (not doable in wet weather), and they don't offer a daily rate with in/out privileges.  I wasn't aware of any unlimited street parking availability.  We also had to reserve the room with breakfast rate for a weekend stay, as free elite breakfasts are only on weekdays.  There was no CL.  I will say however that the breakfast and dining room was stellar, as I posted on another thread (best breakfasts).

The street parking is 1 hour from 9 -6 Mon - Sat.  I arrived on a Sunday so it was free all day and I could stay till 10am the next morning before I had to move it.  If I had arrived on a different day, I could park at 5pm and stay till 10am.  This works for me.

I have yet to be to a Marriott resort where the Resort fee covers parking. Certainly not here at Waikiki beach resort. Actually, the parking is expensive. $35 a day, and $40 for valet parking. Not the most inspiring thing I must say.

Yes, the parking is very expensive there!  What I don't understand, though, is why Marriott (and Disney) charge $35/day self-parking for their resorts in Ko'olina!  They're out in the middle of nowhere.  I suppose it's because they have a captive audience... no other parking options anywhere nearby...

They don't allow street parking and it would not work to park outside of Ko'Olina. It would be hard to go without a car so you pay.

The resort fee on the Big Island covers parking among other things and is a lot more expensive.

pluto77,

Exactly!  Except airlines at least waive the first checked bag fee for being a credit card holder... no such thing in this case, not even for Gold & Plat Elites.  I think the policy should be revised to waive any RF for Gold & Plats, as the fee covers things that are normally free for those Elites anyhow as californian had mentioned. 

I am platinum with AA and don't pay for bags among other perks.  I agree that we should not have to pay for things that we earned as benefits.

It sure would be nice Cali, as it would save me $250 plus taxes for my 10 night saty here.

It is worth talking to a manager and making the point that you are being asked to pay for something that you earned through your status ( I assume that you have it).  If they don't want to give up the revenue, maybe they can give you a F&B credit.

taxman415 Platinum

Parking should be affordable, convenient and safe not necessary free... I am still not sure why Marriott does not give points for these charges when you stay at one of their properties...