28 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 5:27 PM by nuhusker RSS

Iowa "Pork Tenderloin Tour"!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There are 31 Marriott properties in the state of Iowa representing seven different brands.

Today I was reading a food magazine that listed seven great places in Iowa that serve some of the worlds best pork tenderloin.  I have not been to any of these places but would welcome any comments, especially from NUHusker.

Pork tenderloins and Marriott's are a favorite, and I hope I can try a few of these with NU in the future!

B&B Grocery in Des Moines, It looks great!

The Chatterbox Cafe, Audubon, Iowa

Darrell's Place, Hamlin, Iowa

The Farmer's Kitchen,  Atlantic, Iowa

Mr. Bibbs Tenderloins, Des Moines

Smitty's, Des Moines, Iowa

Red Barn, Exira, Iowa.

I know many don't get to Iowa very often, but "Invent a better mousetrap, and they will find you!"  These places have to be good and if you are nearby, it would be worth a try!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Iowa, USA
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Indianapolis
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
  • Re: Iowa "Pork Tenderloin Tour"!
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

JC,

I didn't realize pork tenderloin sandwiches were big in Iowa. I've had a couple in Indianapolis. They were very good.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

PP,

This may not be the most popular post of all time, but if you are in Iowa, a great place to enjoy a meal is important.

Can you tell us where a good "Pork place" in Indianapolis is?

Location Brand Hotel
      Indianapolis, Indiana, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Indianapolis
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I eat a lot of pork.  And fried tenderloin sandwiches are definitely a very popular dish in Iowa.  The best I've ever had were at the Cottage Cafe in Fort Madison, Iowa, The Williamson Tavern in Williamson, Iowa, Mt Hamel Tap, in Mt Hamel, Iowa, and Big John's in Bellevue, NE.  Recently, Breitbach’s Country Dining of Balltown, Iowa (just north of Dubuque) was voted the Best Tenderloin in Iowa contest sponsored by the Iowa Pork Producers.  I haven't been to Breitbach's, but it's on the list.

NUHusker,

Let us know how it goes!

Maybe we can get to one of these places on an upcoming trip to Iowa!

Fort Madison is a half hour from Burlington on the newly completed 4-lane.

NU,

Have driven by this place many times, but did not know it was so good.  Let's make it a point to go there next time!

we'll do it.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Jerry, you do pick some strange topics but they seem to stir the interest! It may habit getting 'lost in translation' but I don't recall eating pork tenderloin anywhere in Iowa.  I've certainly eaten pulled pork and various pork ribs ... is that the same?  I am feeling that I may have missed something.  BTW ... one of our favorite places to eat informally in Des Moines was the Court Street Brewing Co.

chrisf wrote:

Jerry, you do pick some strange topics but they seem to stir the interest! It may habit getting 'lost in translation' but I don't recall eating pork tenderloin anywhere in Iowa.  I've certainly eaten pulled pork and various pork ribs ... is that the same?  I am feeling that I may have missed something.  BTW ... one of our favorite places to eat informally in Des Moines was the Court Street Brewing Co.

chrisf -- pulled pork sandwiches and ribs are great too, but that ain't no fried pork tenderloin sandwich!

NuH, I see.  I guess that I definitely missed some important Iowa fare! I shall have to ask my Des Moines buddies why they didn't introduce me to this dish!

NU,

Great picture!

I hope this will get chrisf's "Appetite up"!

The other thing that is wonderful is that these are typically very reasonably priced!

We may have to select Des Moines for a "World Tour" site!  Chrisf could be a co-host!

Yes, we think they are very reasonably priced.  They are so big that my wife and I split one.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

NuH,

That really does look great!  I'd definitely try one of those if I was there!!

chrisf,

Thanks for the reply!

Where are you?

Thanks for the tip on Court Street Brewing, am not familiar with it, but sounds like a good place to visit.  "Hope they have some good pork, as well"!

Location Brand Hotel
                Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Court St is right downtown, near the capitol building.

THat brings back memories!  Stunning building.

Nuh, we are in Williamsburg today.  Went to the Williamsburg Winery yesterday for a tasting.  Probably head for Jamestown today.  The other location that I liked in downtown Des Moines was a pub called the Royal Mile ... they had great malt whiskey selection and do a great shepherds pie.  We tended to stay downtown in either the Marriott Savery hotel (if there was space) or the Embassy Suites ... They were the only two corporately approved hotels.

chrisf, the Marriott Renaissance Savory Hotel, a very historic place, is still open for business and I'll be there for a few nights week after next.  I remember staying there during the first week after Marriott took it over (maybe 6 or 7 years ago, or was it longer???) and I got upgraded to the Presidential Suite which was the entire top floor.  It had a huge walk out roof top area with a fantastic view of the downtown area and the capitol building.

Wow!  I never got upgraded to those heights!  They normally put me on the concierge floor, which was great.  I loved the CL there ... it was quite small but very personal ... guests seemed very sociable and I met some great folks.  I hope that the hotel stays Marriott until we do our Northern States trip ... my wife would love it.  Enjoy your stay.

have you ever been in Des Moines on a Saturday, when they have their Farmers Market?  I used to try an stay over the weekend in the summer ... the market was excellent!

chrisf,

You will need to find time to get back to Des Moines!

We can get a group together and head to The Farmer's Market on a Saturday and have Pork Tenderloin for dinner!

What a day that would be!

You'll have to have the signature Iowa Chop from the Machine Shed Restaurant.  That's a winner!

Yes, it's a nice CL.  On Tuesday morning they put out some awesome breakfast burritos.  Farmers markets are a very big deal in Iowa and Nebraska as I'm sure they are many other places too.  Dallas also has a large farmers market where they even have food trucks and so on.

NU,

Good information!

Long Beach has a great farmers market on Friday.  A short walk for The Renaissance.  This topic may make a great topic for a completely new thread!

chicagoblue Gold 4 Reviews

Jer, thanks for the update my son got accepted to Iowa and I plan on attending Hawkeye Events

My Family says my Pork Tenderloin is best; 10 pounder, cooked on low temp and rubbed with Montreal Steak Seasoning....its not just for steak ya know!

chicagoblue,

Wow!  That sounds great!  Maybe you can bring some to our "World Tour", get together in Chicago, next May!  I am sure our British friends would enjoy a nice "Taste" of the "10 Pounder", as well as myself!

chicagoblue Gold 4 Reviews

Would love to participate with our friends across the pond!

just to clarify, the world renown port tenderloin sandwich (pictured in a previous post) is not the same as a port tenderloin roast.  But I'd sure like to try your recipe!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...