34 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2012 11:08 AM by californian RSS

Anyone see that the MR Credit Card now has SmartChip Technology?

jpbarnes Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Stumbled upon this link to what I assume is the new MR Premier Credit Card with the SmartChip Technology. I know there have been some threads about having this added, but hadn't seen anyone bring up that it was finally added.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/marriottpremier/50n1ksh/?CELL=67G0

I wanted to see if anyone has this new card yet or knows how to get one if you are a current MR Credit Card Premier cardholder?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Anyone see that the MR Credit Card now has SmartChip Technology?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I looked at mine and didn't see a chip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

jpbarnes,

Thanks so much for asking this very good question!  I just received a new card this past summer (when the old card expired), and my new card does not have the smart chip.  Upon reading your question here on Insiders, I did some research regarding the smart chip technology, and then contacted Chase cardmember services to inquired about this.  The agent informed me that this is brand new since September 12th, 2012, and said that anyone who wants to replace their existing card with a card with the smart chip in it, just needs to contact Chase cardmember services and request a new card.  That's exactly what I just did.  The card number and the expiration date remain the same.  The new card can be used within the states as well as abroad.  Once I get the new card, I will contact Chase again to establish the associated pin number.  This should more and more come in handy with Europe travels.  Can't say about Asia and elsewhere, as I don't travel to those places.

According to an article published in the Seattle Times last November, the smart chip technology reduces fraud and is already widely used outside of the U.S.  Additionally, the U.S. is the only developed country still primarily using credit and debit cards with the magnetic strip.  The rest of the industrialized world has already switched or transitioned to the chip-based cards.  The new technology is primarily useful in less traveled areas in Europe, and the mag stripe cards can no longer be used at train kiosks, plus having non chip-based cards is becoming more and more of a hassle when traveling abroad.  I'm sure you already knew this; I didn't and am only posting for any others who were perhaps unaware, like myself.

I'm glad to be getting the new card.  I think it will save some headaches down the road.  I too would like to hear from anyone else having experience with using credit cards with the smart chip technology both here in the States and anywhere abroad.

This was the telephone number that I called:

Inside the U.S.

1-800-432-3117

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I recently received the new MR Premier card with the EMV chip.  To get the card, all you need to do is call the number on the back of your card and request the new "smart chip" card.  I've used it a couple of times since receiving it about a week ago, but haven't had the chance to use it abroad yet.  No issues using the magnetic strip locally thus far, though few merchants have chip readers, so I haven't been able to test that transaction method yet.  From what I understand, though, the MR Premier EMV chip is Chip & Signature, not Chip & Pin.  So while it may work most places that use EMV chips, it likely won't work at unattended kiosk locations that conduct offline authorizations and require the Chip & Pin standard. 

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

So...please keep us informed as to advantages and any unforeseen issues.  Thanks.

Just spoke with Chase Cardmember Services.  They told me that you do not need a pin and that offline authorizations should work, even at rail kiosks.  They said that if the machine requests a pin, you'll need to decline the pin request (it'll ask about two times).  We'll see if this works!

Here's how the actual card looks!  MR info is now on the back of the card

IMG_1383.jpg

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Very cool!

I have the black premier card, and when I logged in on the Chase homepage about a week ago, I noticed in the background that the design had changed somewhat.

Did you have to ask for one, or do you think they are all being replaced automatically?

Thanks - Al

rmiii Platinum

I have the MR Credit Card with SmartChip Technology and have successfully used it in Europe even at a rail kiosks (this has been a major frustration). As was previously noted it is Chip and Signature as opposed to Chip and Pin. The system knows the difference and prints out a receipt for a signature. At the rail kiosk no pin is required. I was told if one is requested enter any four digits. I was also told that if you request a pin and use it, the transaction would not be handled as a credit transaction but rather a cash advance. As a cash advance various fees would be incurred.

WOW. Well if that is the case, not only would you incur cash advance fees, but you would not get the points associated with it as they are obviously not given on cash advance aspects. I hope this is figured out soon and rememdy taken. Thank you for bringing up this important point - Al.

I would certainly like and prefer a pin. If anybody knows how to request one, please let me know. It is not the same as my cash advance PIN that they had me set up originally I assume.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I think it is one and the same, Al.  Call them to be sure.  I was told that it is definitely not chip and pin, but chip and sig, and that if I ever do any European transactions with a pin, the transaction will be treated like a cash advance transaction.  At least that's what I was told by the C/S agent on the phone.

If you call, and they tell you something different, please share with us.  Thanks!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Maybe we don't want this card with the chip.

Appears that it is easy to steal info

WTHR_The Risk inside your credit card - YouTube

If you do get one, protect your info.

Hi Cali, hope life has been treating you well.

I find it very intriguing that you found this helpful YouTube video about what technology is getting us into. The good, the bad, and I am waiting to see the ugly! (LOL!)

Very interesting stuff you found here on the video link. 2 things which really stood out were:

1) That the majority of cards shown were by Chase, who issues the card in question.

2) That they were shwing "Marriott Elite" room keys as one of the conveyers of purchasing power. How interesting that it would apply to us so directly.

I am glad you shared this with everyone, and think that anybody using the card we are talking about (being applicable to this specifically or not) should be aware of what you have brought to our attention,

Thank you very much!

ATTENTION: Heavy credit card users should watch the 6 minute video link that Californian has shared with us!

Best Regards, Al

neube1j Silver 5 Reviews

The MR Card has a different type of chip in it.  It is not an RFID chip that can be read from a distance, but a chip that has to be physically placed into a reader and have a pin entered to use.

Thanks Ms. Pluto. I shall look into this, as Californian has.