5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2013 12:11 AM by marriottmemberfromla RSS

JW Marriott Essex House - Curious

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone stayed at the JW Marriott Essex House?

• no photos on the web page - that's very unusual in my experience
    • particularly weird since they're touting:
      • "Part of the National Trust, this luxury New York hotel is a work of art where guests may admire ornate gilded doors, rich wood paneling and a Beaux Arts Grand Salon"
      • Art Deco inspired guestrooms and suites - many affording views of Central Park - that offer distinctive amenities and the latest in technology
  • can't find any web page information on the concierge lounge
    • web page says Executive Lounge - coming soon - what does that mean?

Anyway, I think I've stayed in 6 or 7 of the 20 Marriott/Renaissance properties within (extended) walking distance of Times Square (but only 2 of the 5 category 8's), but I'm trying to figure out whether to try this one....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA
  • Re: JW Marriott Essex House - Curious
    jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews

It is a recent addition to Marriott

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

ssindc,

Thanks for posting.  I'm a little curious about this property too.  It appears that it became part of the Marriott family late last month.  I would also be interested to hear what other Insiders who have been to the property have to say about it.  Recently USA today did an article about it.

Marriott Rewards members flock to New York's Essex House

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Folks - thanks for the quick and helpful responses, which, of course, explain exactly why the web page isn't up to the normal standard....

FYI - for folks who spend a lot of time in NYC, there's a lengthy thread here about NYC market pricing, timing, and some of the various properties that you might find interesting or at least worth trying:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/29242#29242

tim846 Platinum 42 Reviews

I stayed at the Essex House just after it was purchased by Marriott (late Sept 2012) and did not like it at all. The rooms are REALLY small, they tried to stick my wife and I in a single, cramped King room with our 3 year old (the bellhop helped us get into a room with a small daybed). Instead of views of Manhattan or Central Park we got... other rooms in the building.

Also, there was NO concierge lounge at all along with ZERO check-in amenities. This means no breakfast whatsoever and no options other than the high-end restaurant. There was no mention of any of this before we arrived. The Essex House offered a 2500 point "bonus" to compensate us for the trouble. This was instead of the 500 point check-in bonus I should have gotten and didn't make up for the increase in points to stay the night at a JW (40k points!) over another Marriott or Renaissance nearby.

There were several other little things that were annoying, including the lack of close food options on the neighboring streets.  I complained to Marriott and they got in touch with the Essex House. Eventually they just gave me my 40k points back. I won't be staying there again any time soon.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Very helpful information.

I am hoping to stay here for a 10-day rewards stay next year.  Hopefully, by then, they are doing more for their elites on a rewards stay including upgrades (according to their website, about 20% of their rooms are suites).  The rooms book at a high room rate though so it might be hard for them to upgrade rewards customers when paying customers are paying $500/night.  I might have to call ahead to make sure I can get an upgrade before booking.  I don't mind having a small room, but I would really want a Central Park view.

Their executive lounge is now open.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...