11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 8:22 PM by californian RSS

Inoculations and Travel Medical Insurance?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have traveled twice to southern Africa, once each to Australia, Germany, and Qatar. I always check the U.S.Sate Department and Center for Disease Control (CDC) websites for warnings and updates. I've been inoculated against Hep A and B based on these recommendations.  I've purchased travel insurance on each visit. I've never had to use the insurance for health reasons but did file a luggage claim that didn't even receive a response. I'd be interested to hear from the community as to your  experiences and thoughts. Has anyone purchased and used this type of insurance? Did you find the carrier was a reputable firm?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Inoculations and Travel Medical Insurance?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I purchase travel insurance for trips outside of the country.  The main reason is medical.  If something happened and I had to be in an air ambulance, the cost is really high.  I also purchased the insurance when I went to Alaska since many areas are far from medical help.  The only time I filed a claim was for damaged luggage.

I meet a couple at the Marriott Kauai and he had chest pains in the middle of the night.  They called 911 and the paramedics came and took him to the hospital.  There they told him that they did not have the equipment to properly diagnose his condition so sent him in an air ambulance to Oahu.  It turned out that it was nothing.  They had to pay for last minute flight to get back to Kauai and had no idea what the bills would be but said their medical insurance would not pay for the air ambulance and maybe the ride with the paramedics.  They said they would only go to Oahu in the future.

Things like this make me think about travel and travel insurance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I use AAA who use Alliance Travel Insurance.  I trust AAA.  If you don't have AAA, you can purchase the insurance directly.

Sorry for multiple replies , I should have read your post carefully before I answered.  When I filed my luggage complaint, it was easy and they paid.

Did you use AAA when you had your luggage issue?  I'm a AAA member but have not used their insurance. Thanks for the tip.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PP,

This is great information to share with us!

I for one, had no idea of any of this!

Thank!

Jerry,

My first overseas trip someone warned me that my health insurance wouldn't cover me if something went wrong. I went on-line and found a policy. It wasn't expensive. Now I do it every time, but started thinking that I better vet these companies. Now that I know AAA offers this service, I'll use them. Many thanks to Californian.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Another factor to consider with travel insurance on the health side is whether they are a "primary" or "secondary" insurer.  I found this difficult to ascertain by reading through the policies.  Even though a particular insurance provider is touted as a "primary" insurer, it often becomes hazy as you read through the policy as they start talking about reimbursement procedures.  I use the A.M. Best list of top travel insurance providers to choose a policy.  I am glad to know that AAA offers travel insurance.  I called them and was told that did not.  Of course, it could be that AAA Texas does not.  I will certainly investigate this further as I am in my 43rd membership year.  Thanks for the heads up!

AAA sells the insurance.  They don't insure.  I got mime through their travel department.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...