25 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2016 2:57 PM by marriedatlantic@gmail.com RSS

Madrid, Spain - AC Recoletos

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Recently returned from Spain.  Stayed at the AC Recoletos in Madrid on my last stop.  Very nice hotel.  Very clean room.  Somewhat small room as compared to American hotels rooms but was expected for a European hotel.

Mini-bar is free and restocked daily (only alcoholic beverage in it is 1 beer).

No CL and no free breakfast.  I had read that someone else said there was 'free' food on the bar or the check-in counter but the only thing I saw was jelly beans on the check-in counter which was fine by me.

Some good restaurants very near the hotel.

P1030145.JPG

x

P1030144.JPG

P1030146.JPG

P1030147.JPG

P1030149.JPGP1030150.JPGP1030151.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Madrid, Spain
  • Re: Madrid, Spain - AC Recoletos
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

newhiltonmembr,

Thanks for the wonderful pictures and information!

Looks like a lovely place.

Have a wonderful trip and keep the pictures coming.

Could you share anything about Madrid that would be fun to do and see?

Never been there!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Jerry,

Thanks very much!  I had a great trip.... didn't want to come home!!!

If you go, you must do the 'convent cookies' purchase!  You ring the doorbell of the convent and say 'Dulces, por favor' (Sweets, please).  The nun will buzz you in, look at the the price list next to the lazy susan and place your order.  Your order will be swung around to you on the lazy susan, take your package and place your money on the lazy susan and swing it around back to the nun.  If you need change, the nun will place it on the lazy susan and swing it back to you!  All done without any face to face contact.... these are cloistered nuns.

Here's what was on my itinerary for the Madrid piece:

Prado MuseumEuropean Renaissance art - Velaquez, Goya, El Greco, etc
      Pick up the English floor plan as you enter.

Audio guide - 3.50

Photography not allowed
      Royal Palace (Palacio Real)Sumptuous, lavishly furnished national palace. A must see!

Audio tour - 4E
      Opera House (Teatro Real)Opposite the Royal Palace opened in 1850
      Plaza de OrientePlaza de Oriente is a haven of peace and tranquillity. The landscaped gardens are enclosed in a kind of semi-circular design. It's a leafy area with plants and trees beside broad walkways, one of which is lined with the statues of Spanish kings from the medieval period.
      Descalzas Royal Monastery (Monestasterio de las Descalzas Reales) - Monestary of the barefoot Royal NunsMost visit worthy! Founded in 16th c.

Founded by Juana, youngest daughter of carlos I, it contains a splendid Baroque staircase and a number of art treasures.
      Real Monasterio de la EncarnacionOnce connected to Royal Palace Convent meant to be a refuge for the women of the royal family in case of some novelty.  Church is a splendid example of 18th C architecture by Ventura Rodriguez.  In relicry, is vial of san Pantaleon's blood  which is said to liquify every year on 27 July
      Puerta del SolMarks the center of Madrid, lively central square
      Plaza Mayor (Main Square)Center of 17th century cobblestone district
      Plaza Santa Ana
      Retiro Park - Crystal Palace (Parque del Buen Retiro)See at sunset from across lake for a great photo op?  Inside, floor reflects all the colors… beautiful!  PHOTOS!!!

Real Jardin Botanico - small charge - just to the south of the Prado, created in 1774 by Carlos III, tranquil and lush w// green houses a shaded walkway of Spanish vines
      Mercado de IbizaMunicipal market on Ibiza near the eastern side of Retiro Park
      Grand ViaFor walk/architechture/shops
      Chapel of San Antonio de la Florida (Ermita de San Antonio)Church w/ Goya's tomb plus frescoes by him

Goya's extraordinary frescoes - walls and ceiling showing St. Anthony raising a murdered man from the dead.

Gorgeous!
      Temple de Debod

1968, Egypt gave Spain an ancient temple as gift for help in rescuing monuments threatened by rising Nile waters.  Original Egyptian temple with fine carved reliefs from 200 BC!

Tremendous sunset photo op!!!!

Market in historic center
      Puerta de AlcalaGorgeous photo op at night!  Neoclassical gate
      Plaza de CibelesPlaza de Cibeles is a square with a neo-classical complex of marble sculptures with fountains that has become an iconic symbol for the city of Madrid. It sits at the intersection of Calle de Alcalá (running from east to west), Paseo de Recoletos (to the North) and Paseo del Prado (to the south). Plaza de Cibeles was originally named Plaza de Madrid, but in 1900, the City Council named it Plaza de Castelar, which was eventually replaced by its current name.
      Mercado de San MiguelLavish displays of Jamon, shellfish, cheeses, pastries, wines and beer, and fresh produce. Many Madrilenos patronize the market more for tapas and snacks than anything else
      Mercado de MaravillasBiggest of the Madrid's old-style covered markets. Part of its success must be its location: the Calle Bravo Murillo runs right through the densely populated and traditional neighborhoods of Estrecho and Tetuan.
      Mercado de la PazLacy iron-and-glass coverd market was designed in the late-19th Century by Gustave Eiffel (of Tower fame), and today individual stalls showcase an abundance of epicurean fare ranging from hams and cheeses to fresh fruit and vegetables to fresh meats and seafood.
      El Rastro MarketOnly on Sunday morning
      Plaza de VillaPretty pediestrian square and showcase of Madrid architechture from 15th-17th c.  Main attraction is the Baroque Casa de la Villa, or town hall.   Also note the Torre de los Lujanes, w/ Mudejar arches and a Gothic portal

newhiltonmembr,

Great detailed repot!

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Would Madrid be a place for a "World Tour Event"?  I have never been but would like to go!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi nhm,

Thanks for your notes on the AC Recoletos. I wonder if you'd be willing to list a couple of the restaurants you mentioned?

Best,

A

Hi Arkwright,

Here are 3 that I enjoyed:

Pelotari (very good steak, sit in the front room as the back room has a huge TV on the wall)

Calle Recoletos 3 (same street as the hotel)

La Kitchen (very good duck confit and drunken carrot cake)

Calle Prim 15 (few blocks away from the hotel)

Lateral (good lunch place for tapas, nice outdoor seating)

Velazquez 57 in Plaza Santa Ana

There's also a seafood restaurant on Calle Recoletos that was good.  Can't remember the name.  Close to Pelotari on the same side of the street.

Hi nhm,

Information much appreciated.

I'll raise a glass to you as I dine:-)

Best,

A

Hope you enjoy the dining as much as I did, Arkwright!

arkwright,

Do you think Madrid would make a good sight for a "World Tour Event"?

Sounds like an interesting place, and I have never been.  How often do you go?

Jerry,

I think so. It is a city I've visited many times over the last two decades and it has always been a source of great enjoyment, catering - depending on your tastes - for art (must be one of the great centres in the world), heritage, fashion, design, sports (I think I wrote in an earlier piece about the significance of Real Madrid soccer team in Castillean history and politics), wine and cuisine. NewHiltonmember's excellent list of places to visit gives an exhaustive (and probably exhausting) flavour of the city. And if you manage to complete that itinerary, I'd suggest a few "day trips" - by the relatively cheap and easy train service - to the likes of Toledo, El Escorial and Aranquez. Even Salamanca is within range if you get up early enough.

Two points to note:

1. Climate: Madrid sits on the Castillean Plateau at an altitude of approx 2000 metres, one consequence of which is that the summers (mid-June/end-August) are baking hot and the winters (December/mid-Feb) are very cold.

2. Politics: You'll have read about the various economic problems confronting Spain at present. A corollary to these is the political tension that is currently threatening to destabilize, and even break up, the post-Franco political constitution. Next month will see " independence votes" in  the Basque country and Catalonia, both of which could easily be won by pro-separatist parties. If this happens, it is possible that we will see a repeat of the "UK-Scotland" situation.

Best for now,

A

arkwright,

Thanks for the insights!

I think that Madrid would be a place to consider "Down the road", your perspectives on weather and politics seem a little "Risky" at this point.  Maybe 2014 will represent some good opportunities for Madrid.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Excellent report NewHilton.... thanks for the pictures.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Newhiltonmember,

Thank you for another classic Nhm most useful/helpful post.  The room looks lovely, and I hope/trust you had a terrific time.  I have a couple of questions... Did you (or anybody else) notice anything of concern in the 4th and 5th pictures?  I don't mean to by coy...so to be a bit more specific, it's with regards to the toilet.  Also, did you happen to inquire about whether or not the AC hotel accepts Marriott gift cards?

Thanks, Pluto!

Yep.... that is a frosted glass 'wall'.  Glad I was alone!  Some things just need to remain private!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I have to agree.  That is strange by the standards we are used to.  Great pictures and thanks for the review.  I love the part about the "convent cookies"!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Newhiltonmember,

Thank You for taking the time to produce the detailed post on Madrid.  Last month I stayed at the AC hotel in Florence, Italy and it also had a frosted glass bathroom wall and door along with a hardwood floor.  I wonder if this a common theme in AC hotels.  At first it seemed weird; however, after a few days it no longer struck me as unusual.

Pluto,

Yes, the AC Hotels now take the Marriott gift cards but I did not use them because of the unfavorable exchange rate they would have applied.

I used MR points instead.

Here are a few Madrid pictures...

Goya's ceiling frescoes in the Chapel of San Antonio de la Florida:

goya1.jpg

Inside the Royal Palace:

P1030228.JPG

Crystal Palace in Retiro Park:

P1030279.JPG

Temple de Debod:

templo-de-debod-espana.jpg

Fountain at Temple de Debod:

P1030374.JPG

Mesons along the pedestrian zone:

P1030263.JPG

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

More Madrid links on MI

A Sense of Spain

A Sense of Spain - 1

A Sense of Spain - 2: Madrid

A Sense of Spain - 3: Valencia

Never Been to Spain...

Going on my first trip to Span  Barcelona then Madrid.  Suggestions as to accommodations

Madrid

Madrid, Spain

Madrid, Spain - AC Recoletos

Spain - where to stay

Marriott in Spain

Marriott Playa Andaluza - Spain

Andalusia, Spain

Valladolid, Spain or Somewhere Nearby?

Penha Longa, Sintra - a truly magnificent hotel and team.

AC Hotels - Spain

AC Aitana- Stay away

aphunter

Do we get room recognition at AC hotels even though we don,t get points until the end of 2011?

AC Hotels - join Marriott Rewards?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Spain next year.  Any suggestions on the best hotels in Barcelona and Madrid accepting rewards points?

Destination Suggestions for the NEWBIE Travelers ; Somewhere Exotic!

where can I make a recommendation for a Marriott Location

Spain - AC Hotels Deal

Hotel Ritz Madrid                                        http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madrt

AC Santo Mauro, Autograph Collection         http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madma

AC Hotel Aitana                                          http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madai

AC Hotel Aravaca                                        http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madac

AC Hotel Arganda                                        http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madar

AC Hotel Atocha                                         http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madat

AC Hotel Avenida de America                      http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madav

AC Hotel Carlton Madrid                              http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madca

AC Hotel Coslada Aeropuerto                       http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madco

AC Hotel Cuzco                                           http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madcu

AC Hotel La Finca                                       http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madfi

AC Hotel Los Vascos                                  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madva

AC Hotel Madrid Feria                                 http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madfe

AC Hotel Monte Real                                   http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madmr

AC Hotel Recoletos                                     http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madrc

AC Hotel Rivas Vaciamadrid                         http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madri

AC Hotel San Sebastian de los Reyes          http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madse

AC Palacio Del Retiro, Autograph Collection  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/madre

An update to this thread with this year's stay at the AC Recoletos in Madrid.  Stayed 2 nights at the end of August before flying home.  Was upgraded to a larger, corner room this year.  My Plat status (not Lifetime status) and that I was a returning guest was mentioned by the staff on check-in.  Received the 500 points welcome gift in addition to a cheese/fruit plate dellivered to my room.

Great staff, great location, very clean!  Highly recommend this hotel!

Here are pics from this year's room:

P1050428.JPG

P1050429.JPG

P1050430.JPG

P1050431.JPG

P1050432.JPG

P1050433.JPG

P1050435.JPG

P1050436.JPG

P1050441.JPG

P1050442.JPG

P1050560 - Copy.JPG

Thanks NHM...I really like the pictures. I was not aware that the floors were predominantly wood. Almost has the feel of a loft in NYC. I like the look of the room overall. These AC hotels do not have lounges, is that correct? How about breakfast for Plats?

Hello pained plat,

My experience of the AC's is that:

1. In general, they do not have lounges.

2. Whether or not they offer comp. breakfasts varies widely. For example, the AC Carlton and Atocha in Madrid, in Valencia, Girona and Seville do not; while the AC in Bologna does.

All best wishes,

Ark

Ark,

Great to see you're still ticking.. thanks for the info.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

newhiltonmembr

Thanx for the pictures!

It really helps in making decisions about properties to be able to see what it looks like.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

stayed there in June and yes nice hotel with great location near the park and walking to the museums and in a nice quite neighborhood   . No concierge and no free breakfast

marriedatlantic@gmail.com Member

Gorgeous! Thank you for posting as I too would love to experience Madrid! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...