50 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2014 5:41 AM by jerrycoin RSS

World Tour 2014!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

That seems a long way away, but let us know your recommendations!

We can choose cruises, Asia, Europe or ?

Let's try to go where we have other MI who can help us enjoy a travel experience with ones we enjoy!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Anchorage, Alaska, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Anchorage Airport
Bangkok, Thailand JW Marriott JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok
Bangkok, Thailand Renaissance Hotels Courtyard Charlotte Ballantyne
Bangkok, Thailand Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
Phuket, Thailand JW Marriott JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Phuket, Thailand Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Takuapa, Phang Nga, Thailand JW Marriott JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa
Krabi, Thailand The Ritz-Carlton Phulay Bay, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Koh Samui, Thailand Marriott Hotels & Resorts Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge
Koh Samui, Thailand Marriott Hotels & Resorts Protea Hotel Entebbe
Koh Samui, Thailand Renaissance Hotels Protea Hotel Umhlanga
  • Re: World Tour 2014!
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

How about South America to replace the "?"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GP,

Yes, that is probably the only way that some of us will ever experience South America!  I am not going by myself!

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Thailand!

JW Marriott Bangkok

JW or Renaissance Phuket

Thailand is a wonderful place. Culture, sights, people. My favorite place on Earth. Happy to provide any information you like. Ask if you are interested.

tker,

Good recommendation!

I am game as long as I have someone there who knows the city!

Again, would not go by myself!

Thanks for your suggestion, and could you share with us any experiences?

We traveled there in 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2011. Each time we stayed 5 nights or so in Bangkok and a week in Phuket. (On our first trip we purchased a week at Marriott Phuket Beach Club MVCI).

Both places are VERY safe. In fact, one time I left a digital camera in a taxi in Phuket. It was returned by the cab driver the next morning. That would never happen in the US. Non-violent crime happens. Pick pocketing etc. I truly believe that one can stay safe in most places and find trouble in most places as well.

Depending on your interests, I can recommend things form you. Bangkok we love the JW. WONDERFUL lounge. Tour company based there: BE Tours.net is wonderful. The weekend market is not to be missed.

Phuket is paradise. Marriott has two elephants on property that interact with the guests daily. I am going to load a Thailand photo album in the next few days.

It takes approx 25-30 hours to get there from the east coast of the US. But, once there, its truly awesome. Happy to help with anything you want to know.

tker,

Great information!

I have never been, nor had any desire to go till now!

We can surly put in on the places for future trips.  I just hope we can get more people "From around the World to post on MRI"  that will make these trips so much more enjoyable!

Thanks again!

iker,

Where do you fly from to get there?

Best flight experience and airline?

I would leave from St. Louis.

Bankock, would be my first stop, the on from there.  That JW does sound pretty nice.

Location Brand Hotel
      painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

tker,

I'm  sure klaus29 would buy any and all Insiders a libation if we ever make it to Phuket.

klaus29 Silver

for  Thailand  on arrival  take  the JW   marriott  in  Bangkok, nice  hotel with a E lounge,  about   tours  youi find on   sukumvit  many agencys  what sellt tours, cheaper at in the hotel.

then when you go to Phuket  you have now   2  hotels  and 2  vocation clubs ,in 2 years i think you have more hotels;  now you have the  JW marriott and spa the  Renaissance resort and spa

the  2 hotels, now the  vocation clubs.  phuket  marriott  beach club, and the mai khao Marriott beach club,  in the vocation clubs you will find  very nice 2  bedroom  villas.  and in the  hotels

you find  from the  simple  deluxe room  ,to a villa  with  your  private smimming pool. . All depends  how much money you want spend,  all  4  brands are on the same place, Mai Kao  beach.

this place is unique  view on the andaman see,. All is  very   luxueux.  i can only recommanded  phuket.. attention  you can get  the vocation clubs  with gateways from interval international.

not  all is perfect there.  if no it is the paradise on earth;  not  1 hotel have a E lounge; you near  the airport only 15 minutes with taxi;  phuket i town is  a about  30  km;  no  bus  transportation

only  with taxi;.  and  near the hotel nathing  for  dinner  or  have a drink.

i have  my car , and know all place there, the first restaurant autsite marriott  is a 7 km ; with the car  its 10  minutes,  when i check in in the marriott phuket beach club, i stop  bevore on

a big schopping mail, and  buy  for 1 week food and  drinking;  and whe eat on the balkony  with the view on the andamann see; its, Formidable. this place.

Thanks klaus29!

Please keep giving us information on the area!

It seems so far away but I am sure we could find people that would like to experience the hospitality and scenery of the area on a "World Tour" event!

klaus29 Silver

jerry

what  you can do, is to book   a taxi  for a half day  and  make the james bond island tour  with the boat,  there  wars make the movie  The  man with a golden gun.  bevore you arrival on the island  very very  touristique now

you have  very  nice  view  from the boat.

then   with taxi  one time to phuket town in the morning  early,  for have a look on the market,,  and there  you have to  taste .t the china  breakfast;,  delicious; and change your money in phuket town..and same time have

a  look over the town.

and one day you have  to make a  fisching tour  is formidable;  dont vergette  your cold chicken, and  beer.;   In thailand  you have to handle,  for  taxi  and tours,, when he say  1000  bath  you say 500.

near the  chalong bay  you have the big boudha  in the mountains, but accesible  with a  car,. nce place to go.

the  restaurant from what i speak bevore is about 7 km  from the  hotel  is just under the  Sarasin  Bridge  direct on the water very nice place;,  Jerry  there you not in Paris, dont order a entrecote,  but fisch and fisch

autside  from the hotel you have  taxi stands  if .you dont like  to make  the price down,  then  you have only one place with  fixed price  is  the marriott  concierge, but one more time  you not in europe but in thailand.

wisch you a wonderfull  trip

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Excellent tips Klaus!!

klaus,

Thanks!

You be my guest on this little tour!

Maybe we can find a few others to join us!

World Tour 2014, here we go!

Stay in touch!  You will be our "Local host"!

We will be back to Thailand in 2014.

Kindee is a favorite restaurant in Phuket. 10 mins from the JW.

iker,

Could you let us know when?

Would you be willing to help maybe showing a few of us around for 1/2 a day?

Sure! It will probably be around Memorial Day 2014. We usually go for 2 weeks part Bangkok part Phuket. That would be great fun.

klaus29 Silver

tker

the  kindee restaurant, is not in phuket town  30 km;  but  a  mai  khao  2 km  from the sarasin bridge.,  better  you make 2  km  more,  and you find thre restaurant direct on the  water.

klaus29,

Are you going to be there as well?

Could you help us plan one dinner or join us on the 1/2 day tour?

klaus29 Silver

Jerry

schure,i am happy to help you  ; i am every year  6 months in asie;   please give me your  dates.   i think the  best  is to rent a  car  or   a small bus; and  whe take a  driver for  12 hours  the  day ; whe give  him 1000 bath a day

this is  about 35 us dollar  per day, big  money in thailand. .and then  whe dont have to look the time.  you know  better for rent the  right car with hertz;  what do you think about. i can schow you many places in and around phuket.

whe have to make all the  beaches in this island, the  viewpoints, whe   have to go one evening  to the famouse  Patong beach,  with haut ladys, no jorking, there its very interesting to see the nightlive in phuket;  then  you have rawai beach

with a very good  fisch restaurant  400 bath  the kg  fisch  are alive,  cooked how you like..  1 us  dollar  is  30 bath;  the fisch .It  is cheaper in this restaurant, at on the marked in paris., and much cheaper at in the tour de l argent;

klause29,

Memorial Day in 2014 is May 26, 2014.

I am blocking the two weeks prior to that as a target for our "World Tour Event" in Bangkok.  I really like you idea of the driver.  I would never get behind the wheel in Asia.  Frankly, I would never get behind the wheel in the USA if I did not have to!

We really might be surprised how many people may show up.  Without tker's and your help, I would never make this trip!

klaus29 Silver

Jerry

from what  date you will be  in bangkok? and  when you cam to phuket  and  leave there;

klaus,

While I don't have, nor can make a reservation this early, I am going to block the dates from May 12th-May 26th, 2014.

It is a way away, but will planning on "World Tour" events as we get reservations.

klaus29 Silver

Jerry

i ask you this  why? normaly  i leave every year paris to phuket  the  9/11  and  cam  back the 17 of may . next  time  i will go back later to paris,Iin 2014,  good so, more holidays for me..

We will be in Paris first week of May 2013. Marriott CE.

klaus29 Silver

schure  you will like Paris, i stay  alredy more at 20 years in my  second  home  near  nice  or nizza  now..  the  best  Guide  for Paris   is jerry  now  he wars  there many times.

and know all good restaurants ; and places  to  visit;

wisch you nice  holiday in Paris

Normally we go week before and after Memorial day with Memorial weekend int he middle. Saves a vacation day. Either way, we will work something out. This will be great.

Jerry,

Is the date locked in?

That part of the world is getting pretty hot by may/june.

Klaus, correct me if I am wrong, as I haven't been in those  months, cause my friends suggested I would be more comfortable there in Jan.

In my experience, its hot ALWAYS. The temperature fluctuations are not very large. From August through December it gets rainy. January-March it is pretty dry. In fact, I think it can be too dry. I like the afternoon rains to take the edge off. May/June generally have 20-30 minute afternoon rains. But the temp is always 85-92 fahrenheit.

We were there in Jan, and also in Feb.

Temps were about the 80s with the occassioal 90s.

My friends said it could get up to 40c in may/jun which is over 100

We haven't experienced heat that high in those months. Here is a link to average temps. Look at the rain! That's what really varies. Honestly, it comes in spurts. Having been there in: Feb twice, July and May/June. We haven't had any rain that lasted more than 45 mins to an hour. No rain at all in Feb. The summer rain was refreshing.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/THXX0018

The link is for Phuket which is on the ocean and cooler.  Below is the link for Bangkok.

My friends have lived there for years and work for the UN. They have a condo in Phuket, and generally leave town during the hot parts of the year.

When we arrive in Jan its usually just after the moonsoon season, though further south in Malaysia its the tail end, which is why I switched to traveling in Feb so I could go to Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore after the moonsoon before the heat, and also when my favorite fruits are in season.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/THXX0002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_mangosteen

You are correct! I thought we were talking about Phuket. Bangkok is scorching. But the highs still don't vary by much--7 degrees. 87 in Dec. 94 in April. The humidity is what kills you.

Phukent is a honky tonk beach town.  Most of my Thai friends prefer Hua Hin (links below)

The real sights to see are in and around Bangkok, the temples, the palace, the rose garden

Another interesting trip is up to Chang Mai.

I had wanted to see the hill tribes, and this is the jumping off point for doing this, but was told that this might be dangerous, so settled for going to the night market, where the hill tribes come to sell things, and I got to see them there.

Also went elephant riding on the edges of the jungle, and rafting down a river

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Mai

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phuket_Province

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phuket_(city)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hua_Hin_District

Location Brand Hotel
                                  Bangkok, Thailand Renaissance Hotels Courtyard Charlotte Ballantyne
                                  Bangkok, Thailand Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
                                  Phuket, Thailand JW Marriott JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
                                  Phuket, Thailand Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
                                  Takuapa, Phang Nga, Thailand JW Marriott JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa
                                  Krabi, Thailand The Ritz-Carlton Phulay Bay, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
                                  Koh Samui, Thailand Marriott Hotels & Resorts Protea Hotel Umhlanga Ridge
                                  Koh Samui, Thailand Marriott Hotels & Resorts Protea Hotel Entebbe
                                  Koh Samui, Thailand Renaissance Hotels Protea Hotel Umhlanga

Ouch! We love Phuket. Been there 4 times. The JW is true Heaven. Bangkok is wonderful too. Phuket town is not a great place-I agree with you there. But as far as a great resort place to relax, JW or Phuket Beach Club is wonderful. We usually do a week in each place. We own a week at the Phuket Beach Club. Marriott even has elephants on property in Phuket.

You cannot compare Phuket and Bangkok. Bangkok is culture and history. Phuket town is honky tonk as you said. Patong is nightlife for people about 20 years younger than me. But, the JW area of Phuket is luxury at its best.

Just telling you what my Thai friends tell me.

Some of the comments said in Thai about 'westerners' visiting there are not pleasant.

They didn't realize my friend speaks fluent Thai, but after one short trip, she started going to Hua Hin.

I think the feeling about visitors in Phuket Town is different than Patong and Mai Khao. Phuket Town is not visitor friendly. We generally tour and explore Bangkok. Relax and enjoy JW Phuket.

klaus29 Silver

GP

please  not  hua hin, only  build for tourist  nathing but nathing to see, a 20 km ou have  cha am  there you have a realy  beach.; and many fisch retaurants direct on the port.   ..nathing  is  better  at phuket, i know  you not a  beach lady

but  for the person whatt like, you have 6 different beaches in phuket, this you  will see no where in all  thailand;  when i say nathing is better at phuket ,schure i speak only from citys,  for good swimming,, there where you can find many

ather  islands, for a  nice boat trip   . and where  you can make  the  best fisching tours, this is in phuket?

Klaus,,

I love the Thai culture, and prefer to spend my time in Thailand enjoying it, else there is no need to fly so far and spend so much.

No need to fly that far to go to a beach as I live 1 hr from a beach.

I will pass on Phuket.  Have not been to Hua HIn, but it is the ancient retreat of the Thai Kings.  My girlfriends relatives also go there, and as part owners of Thai Airways, Dusit Thani, and Ma Boon Krong. They can go anywhere, and do.  Am just not inclined to spend my time on the beach.  Thai culture considers Western behavior in wearing bathing suits on a beach, and burning their skin at best immodest, and I won't even repeat the worse.

If I was going to go to the beach, I would pick a culture that embraces the beach lifestyle.

klaus29 Silver

Dear Gm

if you dont like  the beach, go  to chiang  mai, the  nord  of thailand.  many  thinks  to visit.  better  for  you at  hua hin  or phuket.

what  you mean for go to the beach  you neet 1 hour.? you have  on the phuket beach club  a  beach. . if  no in patong  is  10

minutes  to the  beach;  kamala  ; kata , rawai  beach its  the same. .   you neet  1 hour and  15 minutes  from  bangkok  to phuket with plane.

niçce  holiday in thailand

Dear Klaus,

I have been to Chiang Mai and loved it. This is where I had an opportunity to see the hilltribes when they came to the night market to sell their handcrafts.  Also got to go elephant riding and rafting.  Visited the caves, and buddhist shrines in the caves.  Anyways, most times I go to Thailiand I visit friends, or they recommend activities for us.  Neither Phuket nor Patpong where recomended.  Even when the guys suggested that my husband accompany them, he turned them down.

I would love to visit Bangkok again, and surrounding areas, but would probably not do a beach vacation as its not really part of the thai culture. This is much more a western thing to do.

klaus29 Silver

GP

i see just one more post from you. your thai frends  dont like  phuket, and go back  to hua  hin; hua hin wars build for tourist, and only tourist ; is a good buisness for thai peaples yes.

but only one  beach and not so clean; you know  many young german go there for  drinking  and.............; you have a ather island  near there?   near   phuket you have many many

look ko samui   i go now to thailand  32 years  6 months  per year, this is same  i stay there 16 full years.     i can say i know thailand.  i bean in thailand  wher the phuket beach club i

is today, i see a ricefield  there  before.  the  luxury and service  make for many  insider  the  must  from marriott  phuket in the  world;

we use to send money to a school friend in Thailand that needed help.

we sent $35/month, which was all they needed to live.  Never visited to see how they were living, and by the time we traveled over there, that friend was gone, and other friends were in town.

Understood. I was talking about a restaurant close to the JW and MVCI properties. Sorry for the confusion.

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

klaus29 said "make the james bond island tour  with the boat,  there  wars make the movie  The  man with a golden gun."

Do you have to have a third nipple to go on this tour?

Great info!  Maybe someday I'll make it to that side of the world...

klaus29 Silver

Jerry

the post from  gem princess is correct about the time.,  in may,  not only the  temperature go hight,.  but  the  raining saison  will start slowly.  The best time is normaly  january and  february

but i see  alredy much raining  in this time.    if  good will whe have  luck in may.

klaus,

We will have to see when we can all get there.  So much will depend on costs and flight availability. 

Thanks for all of your input!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I don't know whether this would be good to post or not.  It's a contest for a cruise.

Enter to win a Holland America Line Alaska Land+Sea Journey for two

Request your FREE Alaska & Yukon vacation guide and enter to win a 10-day Alaska Land+Sea Journey for two.

© 2001-2013 Holland America Line N.V., 300 Elliott Ave. West, Seattle, WA 98119
    www.hollandamerica.com

eb,

Thanks!

That cruise sounds like a lot of fun!

klaus29 Silver

Jerry

after  2  weeks  formidable  in the  Phuket  Beach  Club ,  i stay  now  in   the Marriott  , Ban gkok,   The

Empire  Place , its  to

a Vacation  Club,  whe  stay  in the   8 Floor   ,2 Bedroom   Appartement     nice  view  to  the  City.

when  is  your  arrival   in Thailand?

Klaus

klaus29,

Nice to hear from you!

Sounds like you have a wonderful "Set-up" in Bangkok!

Hope the weather cooperates to make your stay there even better.

I don't have any plans to visit The Far East, at least for awhile.  It's just too long of a flight and I don't think I could handle that distance, especially if it is hot and humid.  Will have to "Catch-up" with you in France!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...