36 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2012 12:04 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Peggy Lee, "Is that all there is"?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Professor you writing has "Inspired" me to share with other MRI's songs I have attributed to them.

I wasn't going to share this with anyone, but I use this title song to remind me of my travels and people who bring me much happiness.   There are so many "Big deals that aren't worth it" and I really strive to share with other MRI's "Values that ARE worth it", it is not just what you spend, it is "The bang for your buck"!

Let me share with you a few of my musical attributes: To:

My 26 year old chef son:          Phil Collins,  "You drive me crazy"!

NUHusker                                Kingston Trio,  "This land is your land"!

Razorback                              Linda Ronstadt, "Blue Bayou"

The ole Judge,                         Ray Charles, "Georgia on my mind"!

pluto,                                      Neil Young, " Heart of gold"!

Shoeman                                The New Christy Minstrels, "The Wheeler Dealer"!

Californian,                              The New Christy Minstrels, "Californio"

Gem Princess                         Celine Dion, "Titanic" The Theme Song!

Arkwright                                Roger Whittaker, "A whole New World"!

chrisf                                      Harvey Reid (Not well known), "Show me the road"!

And you professor are the most difficult because you are so "Complex", but I would have to say the song from "Cabaret", one of my favorites, (Never saw it), the great Tony Bennet sings,

"Maybe this time"!  I love that song!

I know I left some people out and I am sorry, and I wish to offend no one!  This is just a hobby of mine, and helps me remember how unique we all are!  Remember to:

"Dream a little Dream for Me"! (Mama's and the Papa's)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, Missouri, USA
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
  • Re: Peggy Lee, "Is that all there is"?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry

love it! 

the dealin' man

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman,

I was a little worried that you would take it the wrong way!  Am glad you enjoyed it. 

My rational was that "Dealing" with so many countries and cultures, you had to be a "dealin' man"! 

You also got the "Deal of your life" by marrying that "Sweetheart" from Washington, MO!  The town will never be the same!

IMG_2011.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
      Washington, Missouri, USA
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

I love it! You'll have to keep adding more!

ProfChiara

Well professor, the first two liked it and now I can share more "Personalities" that match favorite songs!

I would also like to share with you a few places that I have found that "Symbolize" Peggy Lee's song, "Is that all there is!  Would appreciate others "Nominations" on the subject!  (We will probably have to get another thread on this subject, pretty quick)

Here's a few on my nominations:

IMG_1627.JPG

Jules Verne Rest., Paris.  The worst escargot I have ever had and it cost $100 a serving.  I should have just stuck to walking up The Eiffel Tower.

KIF_0904.JPG

The DINING room at The Ritz in Paris.  The hotel is memorable, but the dining was miserable.  The table next to me all ordered an appetizer each, at $225 each!  That is an expensive way to start a meal.  I love the hotel, but would never go back to dine.  It is a "Shame" because the Ritz in London is a fantastic place to dine.

I don't have a picture but another ones makes my "Nomination" and that is "Spaggio's" in Chicago.  I should have listed to Peggy Lee when she said the words "Let's Break out the booze, and have a ball" instead of going there.

I am sure each of can add to this list of "Is that all there is"!

professor,

Here's another one I'll share.  I hope to meet Klaus29 someday, and plan to, he seems like a most interesting and experienced person, but till then:

"He's just a stranger in Paradise"!

( Tony Bennet sings about him a lot!)

One of my favorites on MRI's is Jasper.

I would like to share my favorite song that reminds me of him as well.

"In the Jungle"  (Kingston Trio)

"Wee-ooh, D-Wim-o weh,

In the Jungle the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight"

The reports he has posted about Africa and the world represent his "Lion sized appetite for world travel!"  Likewise his recent absence speak for "The lion sleeps tonight".

Hope the "Lion" comes back with his great experiences!

Another favorite of mine is alrenaissance:

For his upcoming great trip, he reminds me of a wonderful singer, Don Ho, who sings a great song:

"Tiny Bubbles"

Al seems to love the beaches and Don Ho is gone, but his music lives on!

Thanks Al, for your wonderful contributions!

Don't get too much sun!

Location Brand Hotel
    Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

It would make me very happy to salute my Nancy who really enjoyed our visits with NUHusker and Chrisf!

For her, she deserves:

"One in a Million" by Larry Graham.

If you are not familiar, go to u tube and listen to the song.  I am a lucky guy and we are treated so special by Marriott!

IMG_2240.jpg

One of our favourite pictures!  With Chris and Anne Marie at The London County Hall Marriott!  They are a special couple.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Jerry,

You've gone out on a limb here, but you've done a good job.  I'm not sure if I have a heart of gold or am still mining for a heart of gold , but I'll accept your choice for me.  Here's one for you!  "It's a Wonderful World."  Louis Armstrong.  And indeed it is.

The 'big deal not worth it' photos are nice, even if the places they were taken were not so much.  I can't really think of any 'big deal, not worth it,' places that I have experienced, except for perhaps one:  On one trip to Paris on the second to the last night, we had reservations for the Moulin Rouge.  We couldn't get into the early showing, and had to settle for the late one (11:30 or later if my recollection serves me correctly).  The metro stopped running at about 1am, so we would need to taxi back to the hotel (Marriott Rive Gauche).  We hadn't actually paid for our tickets, and so there we were that night, standing in line on the sidewalk about an hour before the show was to start, and the line was already fairly long.  It kept growing and growing, as we stood there waiting and waiting.  Finally, I turned to my family and asked, 'Are we sure we really want to do this?  The tickets are (something like) 135€ ea., we're going to get out really late and with all of these folks in line, how difficult might it be to hire a taxi, plus that cost, and then we'll be exhausted the next day, and will squander half of our last precious day in Paris sleeping late.'  The unanimous response was, 'You know, we really don't want to do this after all.'  We got out of line, went back to the hotel via a stop at a sidewalk café at Place Saint Michel for a late night drink and some people watching, awoke well rested for our last glorious day in Paris, which was memorable and well spent, and never looked back with any regret.  Though I still haven't seen a Moulin Rouge show, I am convinced to this day that it qualifies for your 'big deals not worth it' list.

I have found that Jasper comes and goes.  When he goes, we don't hear from him for perhaps a few weeks, but when he comes back, he's always bearing armloads of good stuff.

pluto,

You really did the right thing!

I have been and I would say The Moulin Rouge belongs on my list of "A big deal not worth it"!  Would never go again, and the prices are outrageous.

Thanks for the Louis Armstrong recommendation, "It's a Wonderful World" thanks to you!

FH040003.jpg

pluto, this is what it looks like in the day!  You did not miss a thing!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Alright, The Lion is back and has awakened. I am currently in Iceland ( a great place to visit) and just spent several weeks in Norway on my "Chasing the Northern Lights" trip. I will be posting some of my pictures when I get back to the states.

Here is one picture I took in Tromso, Norway to wet your appetite: "A Stary Stary Night"...I believe that is a song too???

DSC_0003.JPG

Jasper, Yep!  Always bearing armloads of good stuff.  This is fantastic!!  It looks like you have met with 'Cosmic' success.  Terrific photo, and am thrilled for you both.  Look forward to your report.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Great!  Glad to see you back Jasper!!  Did you get to see Gulfoss and the Blue Lagoon yet?  The Blue Lagoon is more impressive when it's foggy and ugly weather.  I remember the walk around Gulfoss was just a little scary, because there wasn't any railing or anything when we went there, about 20 years ago, and it was a little cold, wet, and slippery.  You could see if you decided to fall down the hill, it was similar to a Niagara Falls distance to the deep canyon bottom below.  It was really breath-taking though.  We were there for a military TDY to bring the new radar station on line.  Because of that, the only places we had time to go to were Gulfoss, Blue Lagoon, Keflavik, and Reykjavík.  I'd love to back and see more some day.  I'll look forward to all your great pictures and videos later!

Went to the Blue Lagoon today for about three hours..Pretty impressive. I also went to Gulfoss, Iceland has some incredible scenery. I will be posting som of my pictures when I get home. I am staying at the Hilton here in Reykjavik and enjoying it. Upgraded to a executive level room on the top (9th) floor with access to the lounge. Has been a great place to stay. See you later!!!

S1370095.JPG

Picture of my wife with the Blue Lagoon in the background!!!!

S1370101.JPG

Another picture taken at the Blue Lagoon - Top visited place in Iceland!!!

Jasper,

Nice photo's and story!  This looks like a most interesting and scenic place!

Jasper,

Thank you for posting those.  It brings back so many memories from long ago.  I'll look forward to the rest when you get back!  Your wife looks a little cold in that picture, and here we are just starting our vacation in Mexico, with 92 degrees with high humidity.  We will also post some pictures later.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jasper,

Thank you for the pictures.  Dis you have time to soak in the water of the Blue Lagoon or is too cold by this time of year?

Yes..my wife and I spent about two hours in the hot springs. Although it is very cold outside (-4 degree centegrade), the water is very hot and comfortable. The only uncomfortable part is getting from the door to the springs, that is very cold until you get into the springs.

I am now in Oslo, Norway overnight and catch a plane tommorrow from Oslo to Frankfurt on to Orlando on Lufthansa...Should be comfortable since I am in business class from Oslo to Frankfurt (No first class on this flight) and then in First Class from Frankfurt to Orlando - Using my United Airline points for the trip.

Jasper,

That is a Don McClean song, I think celebrating Vincent Van Gogh, called "Vincent"!

So glad to hear you are back with a "Roar"!

Have a wonderful trip and please keep the pictures coming!

Stay warm and let us know if you try any of the "Spa's" out!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Nice pics Jasper.  Do the lights appear every night?  A trip to see them in on my list with a question mark?

They are there everynight but you can only see them with good weather and if they are positioned correctly. We were very luck in the we went out "chasing the northern lights on 6 nights (4 in Tromso and 2 in Iceland) and had great clear weather every night. The nights in Tromso were better viewing than the nights in Iceland, but we were luck enough to see them every night.

That is great that you were able to see them every night.  I talked to a person who went to northern Norway for an entire week and did not see them.  That is still on my list with a question mark>

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Just found this thread..Nice work, JC!!!  Excellent pictures coming from the top of the world from jasper, too.

PP,

Glad we know Jasper is doing well!

Thanks for your post, I have dedicated "Philadelphia Freedom" by Elton John to remind me of you!

Nice to see that you were thinking about me and included me.  Thanks.

californian,

Anyone with the moniker, "californian" cannot be dismissed.

Ever listen or see Hopalong Cassidy?  His sidekick was "California"!  Many more in TV and movies shared that great name!

Glad you are with us!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Jerry,

When I think of you, I recall all the wonderful pictures that you've added to Marriott Insiders. So, I'll nominate Paul Simon's "Kodachrome" as your song. Here's a verse:

Kodachrome

They give us those nice bright colors

They give us the greens of summers

Makes you think all the world's

a sunny day

I got a Nikon camera

I love to take a photograph

So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

PP,

That is so nice of you!

Went to see Chad and Jeremy the other night and they recounted meeting and performing with Paul Simon in London decades ago.  They said he was talented and that was before anyone new of him.

What is funny is that I never used to take pictures and now I find the most "Insignificant" photo's are sometimes ones that I need the most.  When you take pictures of your room numbers at certain hotels, it may be you are "Losing your mind"!

Yes, "Mama don't take my Kodachrome away"!

Jerry,

My wife and I are both laying on the floor laughing.  Just a few hours ago, I took a picture of our room number!  And a couple of stays ago, my wife went ahead of me and took the luggage cart up to the 7th floor of a Marriott (no, I never make her do that, and probably won't let her again), while I finished up with the front desk, and she told me she knew the room number.  I got up there and found that she wasn't there and neither was the luggage, so I figured she got stuck waiting for another elevator.  I went out in the hall and looked around and found her, with our friends we were traveling with, wandering the halls, trying her room key in rooms by random.  We had a great laugh about that one!  Really, we're not that bad off, but it makes me wonder sometimes if they should let us out alone

tryt53,

This is so "Typical" of all of us travelers!  "If you didn't laugh you would cry"

The crazy things that you experience, no-one other that other travelers would realize.  Thank goodness, most of them are "Safe" mistakes!

She is lucky no-one came out of their room to see who was trying to get in!

The other night, NUHusker and I had a lot of laughs about similar situations!  Only people like us "Might" be let out alone!

Tryt,

Here's one for you and the lovely Mrs. Tryt: James Taylor's "Mexico."

Oh, Mexico,

It sounds so simple, I just gotta go

The sun's so hot I forgot to go home

Guess I'll have to go now

Oh Mexico,

It sounds so sweet with the sun sinking low

Moon's so bright, like to light up the night

Make everything all right.

Or how about perhaps, Tim McGraw's "That's Why God Made Mexico."

Enjoy!

pluto,

Nice post!

I have to tell you, and I may be the only one, I did not like the James Taylor Concert and left at the intermission!

How about "You're the reason God made Oklahoma"?  A great duet!

Good choice.  We've been starting to talk about working remote in Mexico for a few months of the winter.  My company is very flexible about letting their programmers work wherever they want and having most of their meetings via Google Hangout's video conference.  Nobody has asked to move to Mexico yet.  Maybe some day....

tryt53,

You have a wonderful trip in store for you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...