22 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 10:14 AM by missgee RSS

What suggestions do you have to make posts easier to find and our site more user friendly?

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Many of us go off topic and when it happens those taking part enjoy it but others may find it undesirable.  I would like to see a button to branch the post to a new thread.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What suggestions do you have to make posts easier to find and our site more user friendly?

Organize comments on hotels by geography: country, region, state, ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What suggestions do you have to make posts easier to find and our site more user friendly?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Cal,

Recently there was an upgrade to the site, where when you reply to a post or a comment, in addition to the 'reply' icon, there was a 'branch' icon.  Now suddenly I don't see it.  (I went back to the London Dining thread and tried it, hoping I would see the 'branch' icon, but it's not there anymore.)  I wonder what happened?  NathalieF

It was really an great enhancement.  Even with the enhancement though, what I've found is that someone will veer off topic without branching, and then other's will reply in kind (off topic), and by the time I get to replying and it occurs to me that I should branch my reply, the topic has already veered off for a few comments that would be relevant to the new topic that I would want to branch to, but branching will only start with my comment if I click 'branch' icon, and won't take previous relevant comments over with mine.  So even when the branch feature is working (community manager?), it wont' be 100% effective unless it is properly done (branched) by the first "commenter" who digresses from the original topic. (I hope that makes sense that was hard to explain).

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Ugh.  My number one pet peeve with this site.  I have contributed my comments, ad nauseum, and even provided examples and suggestions. My impression is that they're falling on deaf ears.

WRT to the branching... I think this is fine for something such as email correspondence when you have a limited number of responses.  But when you are attempting to follow or contribute to a thread with a greater amount of participation it becomes more of a chore.  In fact, I have actually stopped following a number of topics for just this reason. 

This is a Marriott-specific site; ergo a direct reflection on the Marriott organization and name.  To have a production forum software which is this poor and user unfriendly is, frankly, not only a deterrent but an embarrassment.  Especially when you consider there is free forum software out there which is not only easily available but also far more technically advanced than this current iteration of MI. 

Anyway... end rant.  It's just that every time I come on here I am reminded of how annoying it is.    Sorry. 

Missgee,

Please clarify the reason you stopped following a post.

Maybe if we take the time to let the website employees know what we would like, we might get at least some of it done.  Many have expressed frustration.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Californian, they become too hard to follow.  There isn't a way to click on a link which takes you to unread posts.  (i.e. where you left off.)  So then I have to open the entire discussion from the beginning, because the branched comments wouldn't be at the end of the thread..... they'd be somewhere in between and you'd miss them.  And continually having to scroll through an entire thread as it got longer and longer..... well... I don't have that kind of patience when I know there's a better way.

I think that is another good idea.  I do the same thing, read through the thread so I am not commenting on what has already been said.  Once we have read posts, they are marked read so we don't have to re-read.unless we want to.  I hope we can get a list of suggestions to give to Andy and see how many he is able to add.

If we don't have an easy way to branch, have a button to click on when you realize that you are off topic, this would mark them as such, and a way for a reader to skip over those if they choose.

How about being able to sort the posts by date?

mcdoes Silver 37 Reviews

Or to be able op expand and collapse specific threads within a discussion. In order to have an idea how large a thread is show the number of posts within it.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I too, brought up that idea a long time back.  I don't think that just keeping track of where we left off would work totally, because I know an awful lot of comments don't just go to the bottom of the thread.  Whole discussions happen as a reply to a comment anywhere up to the top, so the whole thread can keep expanding at any point, or just keep getting longer.  Branching Off doesn't always solve the problem either, in that much of both discussions can find a lot of supportive comments missing.  So far, I think the ability to expand and collapse, with that being kept track of for my own user ID is the best.  Also, if someone makes comments in an area that I have collapsed, then it should be expanded and positioned to the first new comment since the last time I read the thread.  I will tag NathalieF to see if Andy thinks this would be technically possible.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks missgee for the explanation. Those suggestions would have to be investigated a bit to implement but they make sense given what you're describing.

A possible work around would be to leverage the communications page... this page is tailored to your specific discussions and replies. So once you participate within a thread, any new activity on that discussion will appear within your communications page. If you're reading a discussion you haven't been a part of (you didn't create it or reply to it), but you would like to see any future replies to that discussion, you can click "track in communications" from the right column of the discussion itself. While this doesn't highlight or surface each unread reply, it would at least allow you to opt-in to receive updates on specific discussions.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

the best thing that could be done to the Insiders site for me is to fix it so I can use my iPad with it.  I brought this up to Marriott HQ probably 2 or 3 years ago and several times since then, but to no avail.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...