18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2012 7:10 AM by va1379 RSS

Whats after Platinum?

jsarna Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am a Platinum member and have already reached 75 nights for the year.  Why should i continue staying ta Marriott for the remainder of the year (i know for the points but I have plenty)?  I can stay at Hitlon or Starwood and reach preferred status with them also.   Am I missing something?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Whats after Platinum?
    sg1974 Gold

Additonal nights would be rolled over to the next year. Therefore fewer nights required to stay to retain platinum status next year.

Accumulate additional nights toward platinum for life status.

Or stay in the other properties Hilton / Starwood and gain higher status with them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

drrich Platinum

THe only benefit. To accumulating more nights is that in order to get lifetime platinum status they say you need 1000 nights!  To me for the nonbusiness traveler and this is always seemed like an impossible Goal, However it does eliminate the hassle of needing to requalify for platinum every year.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Don't want to repeat what others have already stated about Lifetime Platinum status.  I have friends who travel a lot, and once they hit Platinum status for the year, they move onto Hilton for their top status, and then they come back to Marriott.  I have hit both already this year myself, and am back onto Marriott to try to achieve the Lifetime Platinum status.  The 1,000 nights are the hardest to achieve.

Hope this helps you out!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

You MIGHT be able to achieve Platinum Premier, however, I've heard that only the top 3% of Platinums get this.  So the actual number of nights needed fluctuates annually, though some have said its 100-150+ nights.  I've also heard there is a "longevity" criteria as well, but not too sure what that is. 

I think they take a cut at the end of June to make this distinction.  I remember PainedPlatinum saying he was just over 100 nights at this point, and he got selected for this year.  At that same point in time I was around 85 for the year.  So I guessed I just missed it!  But again, what additional benefit does this provide you with?

True.  The only benefit Premier's seem to have is the dedicated phone line.

But as a Platinum I have a dedicated phone line as welll!

Very true!  I guess there really is no REAL benefit...

A "nice to have benefit" would be 15 points per dollar spent. It will take me a few years to hit 1,000 nights.  By August i will have fulfilled all the other current requirements for the Platinum Lifetime status.  Hope they reduce the 1,000 nights so it will be easier for me to attain!

Isn't it technically 15 points per dollar spent?  10 pts + 50% platinum bonus.  Add another 5 pts per dollar if you use your MR Premier Visa  

I probably won't ever reach Lifetime Platinum, as I don't really travel, but we'll see!  Good luck in getting the rest of your nights!   

Yes, but my suggestion is to start with 15 points and then go for the 50 percent bonus.  Or start with 10 points and then gor for a 75 % bonus.

Ah, I see.  Yes, the 75% makes sense... especially since I believe Gold should be 50%.  I mean, really?  25% bonus for Gold?  That's only .05% more than Silver, and the requirements to achieve Gold are MUCH HIGHER than Silver! 

Agree with you, but not much we can do here!

Yup!  Hopefully someone will see these posts and take it into consideration...

dejamo Platinum

You shouldn't

Take advantage of the Hilton and Priority Club challenges and become Diamond/Platinum with them.

Believe me, as a PP through the end of this year, (I defected and stopped staying at Marriott properties in April) there are no tangible benefit for staying past 75 days besides rollover next year.  In my particular viewpoint,  there are no benefits on staying with MR at all.

As a PP though,  you do get a concilatory trinket annually.  Last year it was an online subscription to the WSJ.....Year before that it was a solar powered phone charger.............this year, who knows,  maybe a $10.00 WalMart giftcard !

Other than that there have been no Platinum/Platinum Premier benefit enhancements in many years.  Take a look at the oldests posts......................we keep hollering,  but it falls on deaf ears, as there has been no movement to show their "most valued guests" that they are wanted.

So, a large number of us have moved on to greener pastures, where loyalty is rewarded.

They could have spent 1/3 of their MRI budget, and provided some incentives to the P and PP community, but they chose not to.    My, my, my,  they do have a pretty blog site though,  dont they?

Come to the dark side Luke !

absolutelegend1 Platinum 2 Reviews

Agree - there are no tangible benefits of being PP over P.  For the last few years I have been PP, but I am yet to see a single positive.  The only difference is that I get 100 nights taken off my rollover total as opposed to 75.  Great!

An obvious tangible benefit to me would be (e.g.) 75% bonus points as opposed to 50%.

va1379 Platinum

Actually, Marriott revised the number of rollover nights for PP to 75 from 100 for 2012 after some PP members complained.

What benefits are you obtaining as a Diamond/Platinum member?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...