43 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 12:06 PM by californian RSS

Planes, trains, and (almost) automobiles

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Occasionally Hertz throws me for a loop, as they did this week at BHM; a Fiat 500. 'Tis a silly car, and possibly asking for trouble here in grits 'n' BBQ country, but what the heck. Being Hertz, though, clowns weren't included, nor was an Italian supermodel.

What cars have made you go "huh"?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Tuscaloosa
  • Re: Planes, trains, and (almost) automobiles
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Jk,

I was "upgraded" to a Ford Probe many years ago. It looked somewhat sporty from the outside. It drove like a tank...very clunky. My left knee was trapped between the steering wheel and the door handle. I like to stick with what I know nowadays.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Hertz double billed me on my last trip via Cleveland to Niagara Falls, so I am going to stick with Enterprise!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Completely forgotten about that.

Had a Ford Probe in the UK when I ordered an automatic car.

Seemed small to me, until we got out to some of the country lanes in Devon and Cornwall, and I was afraid of losing the side mirrors in the hedges on either side.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Did you sit in the back seat to drive that thing?

I must say that Hertz has been very good to me this year. I have been upgraded to a full size car or SUV every rental this year except one....and that one was upgraded from economy price to mid-size car. Every rental has been booked in either economy or mid-size (when mid-size is the same price as economy) and I have been fortunate to receive the upgrades. LAX has been the best because they put the car in the Presidents Circle (under the cover) so the car isn't a hundred degrees when I get in it and all three of my rentals there have been brand new SUV's with less than 500 miles on them.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my Hertz experience......even though that Italian (or any type) supermodel has never been in my passenger seat either.

I was given a Jaguar in San Diego once.

Wasn't expecting it, but got me all sorts of attention and extra service.

When I stopped to get gas at a self serve, had all sorts of people offering to pump gas for me.

Foreign car in MI during the recessioin/depression might have gotten me beat up, or the car smashed in.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Was upgraded to an Escalade by Hertz a few years back in Boston!  Perfect for our road trip up to Maine!  Keep in mind that all MR Platinum members get a free Hertz Number One Gold membership!  Not having to wait at the Hertz counter for your car is a great benefit!   

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Though I have a high level of patience, I concur with you---can't stand waiting on lines!

iestrikesback,

Thanx for the reminder.

Completely forgot about that.

yw, GemPrincess!  Per the fine print, the free membership was only supposed to be for one year, but mine has lasted for at least 3 years now without expiring...

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

On 9/11 I was "upgraded" to a Lincoln Navigator.  Didn't want it, but it's all they had.  I took it.  All commercial airlines were grounded (was just about to board my plane in San Diego when the "announcement" came), and so was Amtrak.  Everyone was scrambling to get where they needed to be, and no one really knew at that point what the devil was going on (were we under attack? ).  Anyway, was just grateful for something to get home to my family in.

So also about Hertz, so far, I'm 0 for 3 when renting a Hertz online through the Marriott website, with the correct promotion codes, etc. to get 500 bonus MR points.  Anyone else have that problem with not getting their points?

I ususally get the airline mileage, and not Marriott points which is what is in my profile with all the car rental companies

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Once in Atlanta I had made a reservation at one of the smaller Hertz locations located within one of the Marriott properties.  My reservation was for a small compact and they ended up giving me a Grand Marquis.  I felt like I was driving a hearse. 

On a separate occasion from the same Hertz location I had a reservation for a small compact and got a nice upgrade to a Volvo S60.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I close to never get an upgrade with Hertz.  I have a few friends who like to drive a small car and they always get upgraded to a big car.  I like a larger car and if I don't book it don't get it.

This happened to me recently in MI.  Reserved a sub-compact when our companys tandard is intermediate, cause I wanted something that was efficient on gas mileage as I was paying for it.  They upgraded me to an SUV, and I had to request they give me back my subcompact. Was in line with everyone else that was upgraded and didn't want a weekend gas guzzler as we were all paying for the gas

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I use Hertz exclusively.  I'm upgraded in some form virtually every time I rent.  Normally, the upgrade consists of Neverlost gps at no charge, but often a larger car. In Septtember in Ft Lauderdale I reserved a full size, Impala, and got a large Mercedes SUV.  Very nice.  Hertz is the one company that I can say I've never smelled cigarette smoke in the vehicle when I rent it.  Enterprise seems to be the worst for that.

I used to use Hertz exclusively too but now am using National more.  I am treated better there.  I have been at an elite level and still close to never got upgraded.  If I reserve a compact, that is what I get and I will not drive one so I have to pay for what I want.  What level do you reserve?

Hi californian, I always reserve a full size from Hertz.  I have it in my profile that I want a gps, but during the reservation process, I unclick that box, but yet I very often am given a vehicle with a Magellan neverlost unit installed.  That's an upgrade worth several dollars a day.  Same with the satellite radio, often I get that, but occasionally I get a car without it so I know that all of them aren't equipped the same.

I take my navigation system with me so don't pay to rent it.  I did get a car with satellite and really liked that.  It depends where I am and road conditions.  If I will be doing mountainous driving, I get a car with a big enough engine so I don't have to push it up a hill.

my boss does this too.

Its nice as he already has the stored trips.

just uses the suction cup to attach to the windshield, brings up the trip that was previously saved, and off we go.

Nuhusker,

Good point about the smoke smell!

I have not been upgraded.  You are lucky!

See you soon!

See you tomorrow evening, jerrycoin!

one other thing about Enterprise, my experience is that they don't normally allow one way rentals to be dropped off in a different state.

Oh, they do.  I was stranded in Branson, MO last November.  Flight cancelled due to fog, and I could not get another flight out for 4 days.  Looked into doing a one way drop to CA.  $800 drop fee.  There was a $300 drop fee just to take the car from Branson to Springfield.  I had a stellar daily rate.  I turned the car in, and then turned around and went to check the car out again (less than one hour after I turned the car in, and upon finding out that my flight was cancelled), and they wanted to charge me a daily rate of 4 times the rate that I had had.  After arguing with them, I took the car, then 15 minutes later my family called and told me to turn the car back in, that they would come and get me, and yep!  Enterprise charged me the usurperous daily rate for the whole day, even though the car was checked out for 15 minutes.  Grrrr.  Will never fly in or out of Branson ever again, will never fly Frontier Airlines again, nor will I ever use Enterprise ever again.  Terrible experience.  I really felt cheated.  On a positive note, my Marriott stay at Willow Ridge was outstanding!

pluto,

That is one depressing car/plane story.

Willow Ridge is nice, as in The FF and RI.

If I new you back then, I would have driven down, picked your family up and brought you back to St. Louis!  I get to Springfield (RI) a lot and it's less than an hour away.

Now that I think of it I recently had a similar problem with both Hertz and Enterprise.  One really has to be careful on car rentals!

Well thanks Jerry, You're a nice guy and an all around terrific MRI.  We all need good friends like you, as well as to be a good friend, like you.  And this is one more great thing about meeting nice people on travel sites, in addition to sharing so much valuable information.

What I have taken from my Branson experience is:

1) Make sure that the airports that I fly in or out of have an IFR rating (Branson does not).

2) I now understand that airlines are only obligated to re-schedule a cancelled flight within their own airline, and are not obligated to re-schedule a passenger with another airline at a proximal airport, as in my case, Frontier was the only horse at that rodeo, and their flights (at a whopping rate of one flight/day) out of Branson were all booked for four days out.  I could've gotten a flight out of say, Fayetteville, AR with another carrier, but Frontier wouldn't pay for it.

So now I know to be careful when booking in or out of smaller airports, by checking to see if there is more than one national carrier and to see if the airport is instrument rated!

pluto,

You are way to kind, and I would have helped if I could!

Had no idea about the "Small Airport" situation.  This time of year the weather is warm during the day and cool at night.  Fog, Fog, Fog!

Headed to The RI in Branson next month, but will be driving!  Get you some updated pictures!

I am planning more trip where I don't need to rent a car.  The prices are much too high and they are looking for ways to get more out of your pocket.

I had an incident where I rented a one way to the airport.  I picked the car up, took it to a gas station and put in enough gas to get to the airport and added an extra 50% to be sure.  Since I could put that much in, the car clearly was not full to the brim.  Upon returning the car at the airport they wanted to charge me an extra $25 or so for gas.  I told them my story, he didn't charge but was told that if they could put more than a gallon in the car upon return I would get charged even more.  As it tuned out, I didn't get charged that time but am uneasy when I pick a car up as to the amount of gas really in it.

Enterprise has good daily rates, but are very inflexible and time-consuming, so it has to be a really great daily rate for me to deal with them.

• their on airport rates are the same as everyone elses - so its usually an off airport pick up to get that good rate
            • if they have an airport location nearby, they will not bring the car to you, even if you are not picking it up at the airport.
            • you have to return the car to the same location.  The only exception is, IF you have an out of state drivers license, AND you pick up your car off-airport THEN you can return to the airport
            • when you pick up the car, you have to go inside, wait your turn by standing in their line and they usually have very few staff working.  When its finally your turn, you have to go outside with them, and get their guided tour of the car.  Even when I said its the same car as I own, they insisted on explaining how everything works.  Then they did this walk around the car, where both you and the agent note any marks on the exterior.

Bottom line:  Its not unusal to spend an hour picking up the car from them + the time to get to the offsite location.  Compare that to any of the on airport operations that have your name on a board, and you pick up that car, or any car in a particular row, and off you go.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Couldn" agree with you more.  You would think that they would speed up this process.

These things are good to know.  I may never fly Frontier and I am not an Enterprise fan.  I have one of their cars now and am not happy with what they gave me.  Not sure about Branson.  I have never been there and might just go someday.

I have to be honest, Cal and say that Branson isn't really my cup of tea.  I stayed there because family that I was visiting lived in very, very rural NW Arkansas (no hotels in their town).  I could've gotten a hotel 20 miles away in Eureka Springs, but opted for a farther commute from Branson, because a) I'd never been to Branson and was curious about it, and b) there are Marriotts.  The Marriott was nice, the people were nice, the countryside was pretty, and it appeared that there were lots of outdoor recreational activities to be enjoyed during the warmer season, but the shows and venues didn't appeal to me, but again, that's just me.  I have heard that the Christmas shows are good.

I appreciate your opinion.  I feel that there must be some reason why I havn't gone yet but then since many go and really like it there, I start to wonder.  If I do consider a trip there, I will be careful to research what there is to do there.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

pluto77,

I can totally feel your frustrations with the Branson Enterprise and the airport there.  I also had a very bad experience there and wrote about it on yelp.  Here is a link to my story:

Branson Airport - Hollister, MO  (My review is Scott L.)

I did also enjoy the Willow Lodge property and recommend it to anyone who visits Branson.

Vaboywnder,

Thanks for posting the link.  Yes, you nailed it exactly on both counts.  Exactly the same for me.  Arrival was smooth and without difficulty, departure was a nightmare.  Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh towards Enterprise, as I really believe that the Branson airport car rental operation was specifically bad.  Very bad.  And they had the nerve to take offense because I was clearly unhappy.  Imagine.  Also, that's right, there were no airline employees, only airport employees, and the line was very long, and it didn't move. It was a learning experience.

Our company accounts are with Avis & Budget, so I always try them 1st with the company rate, and also the membership where your name is on the board, and you just pick up the car and go.  Also check Hotwire and Priceline to see which companies have the best deals, and then check their websites directly.  Recently tried either Thrifty or Dollar, can't remember which and they have a shared bus, as they had the $13/day rate.  Problem is they close at 1am and the flite was late.  Avis is open 24 X 7.

Glad to have the reminder on Hertz as part of the Marriott Rewards, as I completely forgot about them. Their buses always come around most frequently.

That's the very car that the ubiquitous brother-in-law smacked the side view mirror of!  They're really cute!  But even they can't go from 0 to 30 in reverse in 2 seconds on a narrow street in Italy!

My experience is that Enterprise is much better with "local" rentals (like when your car is in the shop) than airports.  I had a late flight into San Jose a couple years ago, and had a car from Enterprise reserved.  But, when I arrived at their on-site airport desk, they were "closed for the evening".  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a rule of thumb that airport car rental desks stay open until the last flight arrives?  They even had my flight info!  Also, some coworkers waited over an hour for the Enterprise shuttle at JFK a few months back.  Therefore, whenever travel books me now with Enterprise, I kindly ask to be reassigned a different Car Rental agency.    

I like my Toyota Dealership for this reason.  The car was sold with not only 100,000 miles or 10 years warranty, but also 5 years of maintenance.

If they can't get your car back to you in time, they either drop you where you need to go, or give you a free loaner.

There are so many people from our office that bought their car there (they give us a company rate), they run a bus in the a.m. and p.m. to our office for people dropping off the car.

They make it the most convient and economical option.

They also make sure you come to them for routine service and repairs.

And they have a road service so if your car breaks down, they come an get you and the car

So guess where you are at when you need to buy a new car???

I have friends who had similar experiences with Enterprise.  I stay away from them.

I used them once, when all the airport rates were $50+/day

I got an Enterprise rate of $15/day, offsite.

Had to take a cab to get there.  Luckily I was first in line, but everyone that came in after me, had to wait.  it was very annoying to have to do their tour to rent a car exactly like mine at home.

And part of the reason for the tour is to try to upsell you on insurance. When they give you that cheap rate that try to sell you insurance, and spend alot of time on it. First they tell you horror stories and go for the really expensive rate.  When you don't do that, they then give you a lower rate.  I was amazed at how many insurnace rate variations they actually had.

Real pain in the neck.

Took me forever to get the car and get on the road.  Can't even begine to imagine how long it took those queued up behind me.

And luckily I had my NJ drivers license in MI, so I could return to the airport.

p.s. forgot to mention that my sister uses them alot.  They are cheap, and will deliver and pick up from your house if you are far enough away from an airport.

Don't know if anyone is looking for car rentals this week, but Hotwire has some attractive deals!

Detroit (DTW)

Compact Rental Car

After scouring Hotwire for the best deals, we found that others recently lined up this great deal in Detroit.

from

$12

per
    day

Show me

from

$15

per
    day

San Diego (SAN)

Compact Rental Car

Show me

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...