14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2013 11:12 AM by vaboywnder RSS

What happened to Eden Roc?

sacerdos15 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

According to the local paper the owners of Eden Roc after multiple complaints to marriott because of allegely poor performance have removed mariott as the managment company.Was it really that bad that the owners of the iconic hotel would fire marriott and replace it with another firm? Why did not marriott respond to the owners complaints? The owners should have contacted CS on this blog!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What happened to Eden Roc?
    erc Platinum

Miami’s Eden Roc Beach Rebrands, Gets New Management Team  

From the various reports, it certainly appeared to be a bitter parting (which according to articles ended March 30th after a prior January notice). This was an Insiders favorite, it certainly didn't seem to be about the service as far as we were concerned - no doubt a lack of agreement over financials, the wave of the future.

As Bette said, " Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night "

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Wow!  Not sure what the real deal was that caused this split, but I'll say that our past stay there was fabulous.  And on a recent visit to the area, we went back to the Eden Roc just to see the new tower.  Hopefully Eden Roc will notify all existing reservations of the change so any Marriott members can make other arrangements if they want to.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

So disappointed!

Loved this property!

Guess there is no longer any decision between this property and South Beach.

erc Platinum

Marriott Sues Miami Beach Hotel Owner Over Takeover Attempt - Businessweek

Oh Bette, how right you are. Being that Marriott is still booking reservations at this property, it appears the countersuit at least got a temporary injunction about Eden Roc taking it back. Whew, exciting times; and we thought earning points at the Gaylord was a crapshoot.

favargas Platinum

It gets better, is not the first time a hotel tried to do that to Marriott this happened at the Waikkiki Edition in Hawai http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/12/14/42229.htm Aqua was succesful though.

erc Platinum

Good one favargas (and by the way, great write up on Bogota). It kind of puts Bogo's and weekend breakfasts and where they fall on the radar in perspective, doesn't it. And to think I'm trying to squeeze these guys for $3 on a AAA rate! Those Marriott boys and girls play some big time hardball. Oh well, back to trying to book 2013 deals; it's good to know what I'm up against.

favargas Platinum

erc is correct here is the short version of the story http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-02/marriott-sued-for-mismanaging-eden-roc-hotel-in-miami-beach-1-.html I also want to add that the story portrayed here does not show the original complaint from Eden Roc and from having read it a while back it seems to me that the owners of the hotel expected a higher return on investment after pouring 250 million in that hotel, but they didn't take into account the recession that we have been in since late 07 that has significantly impacted both leisure and business travel. In my opinion Marriott did the right thing by discounting the rates to keep the hotel in business and out of the red (which would have been the case if they would have not discounted the rates) It seems to me that the management was presented with a better management offer and that is why they wanted out of the contract with Marriott and blamed them for the loss. Having stayed at the Eden Roc, I can say that the hotel will be truly missed and it wouldn't surprise me if we were to find it rebranded as a W hotel in the near future...

mgoes2 Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

So sad about this!  One of my favorite local escapes!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

This hardly sounds fair!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I'm sorry to hear this news.  I was giving consideration to staying at Eden Roc sometime next year since it was part of the Marriott family and so many Insiders recommended it.

erc Platinum

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Oh wow.  I was planning on staying there on an upcoming trip.  Did Christmas with the family, there, and it was amazing.

erc Platinum

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

erc,

Thanks for posting!  I've been expecting this news to come sooner or later.  It will be interesting to see which management company takes this over especially if it has another national brand affiliation.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...