1 2 3 11 Previous Next 161 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2013 3:03 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Newbie needs help with Paris hotels

rhoke813 Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

HEllo I am brand new to this site. I'm about to get platinum status and hubby and I are headed to london and Paris in March. Staying at Renaissance St. Pancreas in London in a chambers suite. I have us booked in a larger room at Renaissance vendome in Paris. I'm thinking I like the location and the idea of a boutique type hotel. Has anyone stayed here before that has gotten a room upgrade and/or free breakfast? Do you have to ask for the breakfast or do they automatically offer it? Thanks for the help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel
London, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
  • 1. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

rhoke813,

Welcome to the MI site, you will get a lot of information from this site that will help you.

Many insiders and I have been to the properties you are going and you are in for a special time. 

Try to research previous comments about these properties and it will be helpful.  Both are beautiful and memorable as well.  I would assume you are taking the Eurostar to Paris, and look at the previous posts on how to make this special.

Please feel free to ask specific questions about your upcoming trip, and MI will respond!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    London, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
  • 2. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels

Thanks jerrycoin! I have looked at several of the discussions on the Vendome in Paris but they are all older, from 2010 or so. My main thing is the breakfast and if anyone has been to Vendome recently that is a Gold status or higher and did they offer free breakfast? I did read somewhere that someone got breakfast there but can't find it and also think it was from several years ago and things may have changed by now.

Didn't realize there would be posts on this site on Eurostar so I will check them out. I'm doubting that paying the extra for Standard premier is worth it but will read to see if anyone feels otherwise. Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels

Jerry I just read a lot of your former posts on Paris. Sounds like you LOVE the CE location! You have stayed at Vendome before though? Here's the thing, it's a surprise anniversary trip for my hubby in March. He's never been to Europe and I haven't been to Paris since college! Vendome looks quiet and boutiquey and a romantic vibe. CE looks awesome too though! I can';t decide? What specifically do you like about each hotel? Maybe the location is actually better at CE for us? Do you think if I book a larger non-view room on points that we will get an upgrade to a CE view room with small balcony? That would be my hope. Also it looks like you were there this past summer and still got the comped breakfast? I LOVE eggs benedict and you can be certain I won't miss that! Thanks again for your great info!

• 4. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels
    sg1974 Gold

We have been on the Eurostar many times to Paris or Brussels. I wouldn't spend the extra amount on the standard premier. The standard seats are perfectly fine for the journey which is only 2 -  2.5 hours.

The tickets are available on the eurostar website 4 months in advance. If you are going to be travelling on the weekend then the earlier you book the better.

• 5. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels

Thanks again for the great info sg! I have been watching the Eurostar site and should be able to book the tickets next week for our March trip. The week prior to our arrival is already up with fares of $63 one way. I assume thats US? Anyway I kinda figured the standard seats would be just fine. in addition we will have breakfast offered at the concierge lounge at the Ren St. Pancras where we are staying so won't need to have a meal on the train anyway.

• 6. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels
    sg1974 Gold

Make sure you organise the eurostar tickets as soon as available. They generally only go one way, higher! I have always gotten the GBP 69 return (approx USD 110), there is a limited number at this price.

The breakfast at the Ren St Pancras will be vastly superior to any train food they would serve.

• 7. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels

sg1974,

Great report SG!

I too had a post with pictures and shared my experiences on The Eurostar, try to pull up that information.  You will note that if you have a Platinum or Black AMEX card you can get comped the admission to the VIP Lounge in London and Paris. 

Let us know if you have specific questions.  You are in for a great time!

IMG_1686.JPG

Look for this guy in London at the Eurostar Lounge, he is sooo, helpful and arranged for a taxi to pick us up in Paris.  No waiting made a big difference for dinner!

Don't worry about "First Class", spend time in the Eurostar Lounge and walk around the train!

• 8. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels

Wow! I have Platinum Amex card. The Eurostar VIP lounge do you mean?

• 9. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels
    traveln2c Platinum

Hi,

I'm also new to this site and also going to London & Paris, however, I am heading there the middle of December.  One of my goddaughters is in London getting her Master's Degree from Sotheby's so I'm going to visit and take her to Paris for 3-1/2 days.  At the moment I am book at the Renaissance St. Pancras as it it just under a mile from her apartment and is close to the train station.  Since I have never stayed at this hotel, I'm not sure if that is the area I want to be in when we return to London from Paris.  For now, I have reservations at the JW Marriott on Park Lane when we return.  Have any insights?  I am also taking the Eurostar to Paris but have not pulled those tickets as yet.  Do you know anything about taking luggage on the train? Since I will be gone for about 10 days, I will definitely have more than a rollaboard and it will be cold at that time so my clothes will be on the bulky side.

• 10. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels

GOod question on luggage. We will have a weeks worth. I wouldn't wait on Eurostar tix. The price just continues to go up. Right now if I book way in advanc it's $63 one way in the standard car. You may have already missed the window for the cheap fares.

• 11. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels

fhoke813,

That is a great rate, I recently went and it was a lot more for a coach seat, but I bought it one day in advance.

Yes, take your luggage on board, there is plenty of room and also take a picnic with refreshment and sit back and relax.  I always take my wine and cheese and watch the countryside at 185 MPH.

Will have more but I have to drive now to The FF in Burlington, Iowa to meet NUHusker this week!

PS, try to find the story and pictures on my post, "A Day on The Eurostar",  Let me know if you find it!

• 12. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels

I would stay at St. Pancras, wonderful place and Marriott C-E! 

That is the place for Paris "First timers", if you can get in!   Will have more this week for you!

• 13. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels

JErry I made reservations at CE! I reserved a larger room for points and 80 EU up charge. What do you think my chances of getting an upgrade to a CE view room are? Platinum member traveling in March.

• 14. Re: Newbie needs help with Paris hotels
    traveln2c Platinum

I am assuming C-E stands for Champs-Elysees.  If so, that is where we are staying when we go in December.  I have requested an upgrade and will see what happens. 

Hope to get a commitment on the train from my goddaughter by tomorrow morning so that I can book.  I would like to take an early morning train so that we have at least half the first day available.  My goddaughter is a art history major so we want to spend time Louvre.  That can be an entire day alone and there are so many other places I would like her to see.

By the way, current train fare for non-flex is about $160/person round trip.

1 2 3 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...