10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2012 5:00 PM by jerrycoin RSS

DC Hotels - JW or Metro Center?

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Help me pick a hotel for our vacation this coming June!  Right now were leaning towards either of the 2 subject hotels (JW Marriott or Marriott Metro Center), but are open to other options. I'll be using points for the entire stay!  I've stayed at the Ren. Mayflower, Washington Marriott (Dupont Circle), Key Bridge and Crystal City Marriotts on business, but neither of the 2 subject hotels.  There will be 4 of us, including the wife and older teens, 19 (boy) and 17 (girl).  Here are our priorities:

1. Close to a Metro Stop.

3. Walk or easy Metro ride to Smithsonian museums & attractions.

4. Walk to good restaurants.  

4. A good Concierge Lounge.

Thanks in advance for your help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Residence Inn Pullman
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA JW Marriott Protea Hotel Mbweni Ruins
  • Re: DC Hotels - JW or Metro Center?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

lestrikesback,

Having done this before with the same essential group you are traveling with I would go to The JW!

We walked to The Smithsonian, White House, Ford's Theater, WWII/  Viet Nam/ Korea, Memorials, Capital,  plus many more locations..

You can get good transportation from The JW, and great places to dine are nearby.

Lastly, the hotel itself is very nice.  If you can get on the CL, you will be in for a wonderful and scenic experience.

Good luck, you can't go wrong, no matter where you choose!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

ie

Jerry's right, you can't go wrong with either. I've stayed at both and each has excellent, service oriented staffs. The JW has a much nicer lobby and indoor access to some shops (which is good for the young adults if they want some time alone, yet must stay in the building). The hotels use the same metro station with the JW being about a block closer.

The JW is closer to the national mall (but it's June, so no big deal). As a local, I usually choose the Metro on weekends when it can beat the JW rates by $40 or more (and another $10 in taxes) which equals a free meal. Using points, lets say five nights for four, I feel it's worth the extra 20k to be at the JW, which also has a much nicer concierge lounge with excellent views (no real views at lower level Metro CL). Note: Both CLs closed on weekends, Metro gives buffets for elites, JW doesn't. Both have decent odds of an upgrade - which often is a nicer view (Metro a corner room facing down 12th; JW, facing Pennsylvania Ave -better views. JW has more terrific rooms, so if you get lucky, you stand a higher chance of a great room than with the Metro Marriott. My summary; Cash - Metro and meals. Points: JW and panache.  Enjoy, you'll have a blast either way. And don't forget All Events in Washington, D.C. | Goldstar   for good deals on events and sightseeing opportunities (even more offers once it gets warm, like in June).

glew Platinum 7 Reviews

iestrikesback - @erc is correct regarding the Concierge Lounge in both hotels being closed on weekends.  @erc is assuming as would I, that since this is a leisure trip, you'll be staying over a weekend.

In fact, I've found virtually all Marriott hotels that have Conceirge Lounges, are all closed on weekends (at least in the US).  If you're counting on access to a lounge for whatever reason, be aware.

Like yourself, most of my travel is business, which is during M-F, so the lounges are open.

You can't go wrong with either the JW or the Metro Center Marriott.  Both are solid Marriott properties.

Thanks, Jerry, erc & glew!  We're staying Mon thru Sat, so we'll get to take advantage of the Concierge Lounge!  (Staying the weekend before in Baltimore) Based on your recommendations, we'll go with the JW on points.  Thanks again for your help, and I'll probably hit you all up again for restaurant recommendations, etc. as June approaches!

lesstrikesback,

A few places you will want to walk to and enjoy from The JW are:

The Terrace at The Hotel Washington,  a great view of The White House and nice food.

The Occidental Grill, just across the street from the JW, is such a historic place to have a refreshment or two.

China Town, walking past Ford's Theater, you can enjoy a very tasty meal at various choice places.

Old Ebbet's Grill, another historic place to enjoy a meal.  Near the White House!

Have fun.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

ie...I'll definitely second jerrycoin's recommendation for Old Ebbet Grill.  It's on 14th NW just a few steps up the hill from the JW.  Great for lunch or supper. We hosted our son's wedding rehearsal supper there and it was fabulous.  Another nice place with great fried chicken or shrimp and grits is Georgia Brown's  (I think that's the name) very near the Mayflower Renaissance.  And also keep in mind Clyde's near the Verizon Center for a great rueben sandwich! A great place for a drink after dark is the rooftop bar of the W hotel at around 14th and K or so.  No better place to see the city at night.  And the beer is cold, really cold!

NU,

Have a safe trip back from Michigan!

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Since you've chosen the JW I won't suggest the Residence Inn at the Pentagon.... though it was certainly a superior property.

Favourite places to eat (so far) in DC!:

Founding Farmers - You will need well-in-advance reservations, though, as this is a hotspot.... and for good reason:

Founding Farmers Restaurant | True Food and Drink | Washington DC

Legal Seafoods:

http://shop.legalseafoods.com/?source=google&page=homepage/pd/1

J Paul's in Georgetown:

J-Pauls Restaurant

The Oceanaire:

The Oceanaire Seafood Room

missgee,

Having dined at Legal Seafood and it is really a special place!

Great suggestions!

Thanks, Jerry & missgee for the restaurant suggestions!  I've made a note of them.  I've also eaten at Legal in other locations (Crystal City, Boston, Baltimore) and like it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...