1 2 3 13 Previous Next 182 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2017 1:30 PM by razorbackfan RSS

Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It often pays to recheck your hotel rates prior to checking in at a hotel.  We will be staying in 8 different Marriott properties on an upcoming trip and I have saved about $71 (+the money saved on taxes) by rechecking rates so far.  For example, for a 2-night stay, I originally made reservations using the senior rate for $178 a night.  Several days later, the first night dropped to $167 and the second night to $175 when using the AAA rate.  Last night, the second night had dropped to $151 using the AAA rate.  Another rate had dropped from $189 to $169 which was the regular rate.  No special  rates are available.  At another hotel, the first night had dropped by $16.   The money we've saved will help pay for meals.  It's worth my time to check the rates occasionally.  Of course, I'm always glad I was able to book early when I see the rates get higher as the trip approaches.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Keene, New Hampshire, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Keene Downtown
South Portland, Maine, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks
Newport Beach, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
  • 1. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    sg1974 Gold

Generally I book up a long way in advance at a rate which is reasonable & cancellable.

Then I will recheck from time to time. The next weekend for one night it ended up Gbp 25 cheaper than initial booking & another night coming up Gbp 10 cheaper. I have saved quite a bit over the years through doing this.

It does certainly pay to recheck but worth Initially booking early.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I check frequently, especially for longer stays that I booked way in advance.  One time the deal kept getting better and beter and ended up with 3 different rates, byt the time I got the best one!

• 3. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Excellent point RBF.....I'm like you, I check quite often.

• 4. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Yes,  I check and re-check the rates.

Thanks for reminding me to check the upcoming trips again.

• 5. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Yes, I'll recheck rates about once per week or so.

• 6. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Yes, and it pays.  Wondering if all of the reservation modifications are a pain for the hotels?

• 7. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I check too however lately, I have found that the rates have been going up not down.  At that point, I am glad that I had already booked.

• 8. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    srausman Platinum

I recheck weekly. Sometimes there is another property nearby for a considerable savings.

• 9. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    taxman415 Platinum

Definitely... I usually recheck all of my reservations every Monday... The rates seem to get updated Sunday night... Have saved tons of money and or got better rooms with this method... Happy Hunting...

• 10. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    sg1974 Gold

I like your method of checking on a particular day. I'll have to look into something more like that.

• 11. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Off to check upcoming reservations now.  lol

• 12. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I just saved ~ $120 by rebooking two upcoming stays under lower rates.  I'd been checking those, periodically, but this is the first time they'd dropped.  This was a timely reminder, RBF, so thank you.

This is one of the reasons I like Southwest..... because you can cancel an existing reservation, without penalty, then use those funds to book the same flight at a lower rate.  Though, I must admit, they are making it harder and harder for me to remain loyal.  lol

• 13. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

You could book another night with the $$$ you saved.

• 14. Re: Do you recheck your hotel rates after you've made them?
    iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Also, anyone who qualifies for a government/military rate, you can recheck later if there are none available when you initially book your room.  I've learned that they'll make those rates available often, especially if they have low occupancy rates close to check-in date.  Also, keep in mind that you can use those rates for personal travel as well as business.

1 2 3 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...