34 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2012 6:30 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Stratford upon Avon

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

JC,

Here are a few photos just to whet your appetite from our visit in 2006. As I mentioned in the other post I may have a return visit shortly and be able to update the photos.

The train details can be found on the National Rail website: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Had a quick look and the trains either run from London Euston or Marylebone. The trains from Marylebone are more direct (just over 2 hours) whereas from Euston with a connection in Birmingham it can be toward 3 hours! The fares can vary greatly so this requires some planning.

Here is the official visitor website that will provide a wealth of knowledge: http://www.visitstratforduponavon.co.uk/

You can get some vouchers from this website: http://www.visitheartofengland.co.uk/counties.aspx?county=8

SG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Forest of Arden Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Birmingham Marriott Hotel
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Forest of Arden Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Leicester, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Leicester Marriott Hotel
Northampton, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Northampton Marriott Hotel
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada Courtyard By Marriott Pik Palace, Shahdag, Autograph Collection
Guelph, Ontario, Canada Fairfield Inn By Marriott Haikou Marriott Hotel
London, Ontario, Canada Residence Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Delray Beach
Salisbury, England
  • Re: Stratford upon Avon
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

sg,

Truly lovely pictures and information!

I will look forward to visiting during "The World Tour" trip to London in May, 2013.  Will look forward to hopefully having you join us in London, or ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sg1974 Gold

JC,

I work within walking distance of County Hall so it is possible to meet other insiders whilst you are over here.

It is also possible to get the bus from London Victoria to Stratford.http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx although this is over 3 hours.

Another option is to stay in Birmingham which is closer than London, either Forest of Arden (which we have stayed quite a few times and do like) or Birmingham Marriott (staying there for first time next weekend).

I have read on other discussions that you are not a fan of hiring cars abroad but for places like Stratford it would make it much easier also there is a great property Warwick castle not too far away
      http://www.warwick-castle.com/

SG

sg1974,

Yes, we will get together next May at County Hall!  Should have a few fine MI there as well.

Thanks for sharing some options as to getting to Stratford-upon-Avon from London with other MI and myself.  Just hope I can pick a "Bright, sunshiny day, to do it! 

The Warwick Castle sure looks like a place to visit as well.  My problem is, it is so difficult to "Pack and re-pack" when changing hotels.  Will just have to work and travel out of County Hall!

Take care and have a wonderful day!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Jerry, we now that the reason is really that no other UK hotel can match the service that 'you' get at County Hall ...

chrisf,

The County Hall treats MI very well, and I appreciate the way they have been so professional to my friends and myself.

I really doubt if I would go to London if I could not enjoy the hospitality of County Hall.

We will look forward to getting together next May.

Jerry, as sg says, Stratford-upon-Avon is very doable in a day and train prices can be very cheap ... for example, if you used the suggested Marylebone route, a train out at about 0910 and a train back at 1740 would cost just £18 per person.  There is also a great sight-seeing bus tour that you can get on and off and costs about £10 for a day ticket ... City Sightseeing Stratford upon Avon, Hop On - Hop Off Bus Tours

We used to head for a pub called The Dirty Duck for lunch, but it's been a while since we last visited.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I have used the Hop On and Hop Off in many cities while traveling and its a great way to see sights or to use for transportation.  For a fixed price, usually 1 day or 2 day rate, you can ride on any ot their routes. Most times when I have used this on a cruise its a 1 day ticket for a 4-8 hr shore leave.  But in BCN, three times now I have used it as my major transporation for the weekend, buying the 2 day ticket (that and walking)

GemPrincess,

I totally agree, these are wonderful ways to see a location at a very reasonable price!

Location Brand Hotel
    Birmingham, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Birmingham Marriott Hotel
    Leicester, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Leicester Marriott Hotel
    Northampton, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Northampton Marriott Hotel
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada Courtyard By Marriott Pik Palace, Shahdag, Autograph Collection
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada Fairfield Inn By Marriott Haikou Marriott Hotel
    London, Ontario, Canada Residence Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Delray Beach
      sg1974 Gold

This is Stratford upon Avon in the UK.

I was giving a few details to JC as he mentioned it was a place he would like to visit, if he can tear himself away from County Hall!

Yes,

It is England.  I did not know there was one in Ontario.  I imagine it is nice as well!

The one in Canada was quite near to where you were at (Niagra Falls and Niagara on the lake).

sg1974 Gold

JC,

I was just looking over the details for our visit to Stratford upon avon and I came across this: http://www.shakespeare.org.uk/visit-the-houses/plan-your-visit/getting-here.html

There are one day tours that take in Stratford and some other places. Not sure you would be interested in a tour but thought it worth passing on seeing as you won't be driving.

SG

sg1974,

Thanks, that is interesting information!

I am planning on going next May!

Hope to see you in London, or SoA!

sg1974 Gold

JC,

We made it back to Stratford upon Avon a couple of weeks ago. I had forgotten how beautiful the place was, thanks for bringing up the topic!

It is certainly worth a trip from London.

We stayed in Birmingham for the weekend at the Marriott there which was nice (approx 40 min drive from Birmingham).

The staff were friendly and we were lucky enough to get upgraded into a large corner room which pleased the wife as it was her birthday!

We bought tickets to visit all 5 of the Shakespeare related properties. On the website link I sent previously Visit Heart of England | we were able to get 2 for 1 adult tickets.

The tickets enable you to visit the properties over 12 months (not so beneficial for international tourists though).

We managed to get through 3 of the properties as we had previously seen Shakespeares Birthplace a few years ago.

It didn't seem the best of weather to visit Mary Arden's Farm so we will see that one next year.

We first started at Anne Hathaway's cottage. A beautiful little place:

DSC_0153.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

DSC_0202.JPG

This cottage is located just outside the town centre. From here we drove into town and had a bite to eat.

This restaurant was decent for lunch: No.9 Church St.

From here we visited Hall's Croft (Shakespeare's daughters place):

DSC_0225.JPG

DSC_0235.JPG

DSC_0265.JPG

Church Street buildings:

DSC_0281.JPG

DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0335.JPG

We then went onto our final Shakespeare property for the day, Nash's House & New Place.

The gardens really are beautiful at this property:

DSC_0305.JPG

DSC_0308.JPG

DSC_0328.JPG

DSC_0312.JPG

We had a thoroughly enjoyable educational day. Also the properties had some good activities for kids which kept our daughter occupied.

All information about the properties can be found here: Visit the houses - Shakespeare Birthplace Trust

For those who have visited London several times I would highly recommend a visit to Stratford upon Avon on your next trip.

SG

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

sg,

Excellent pictures!!! I love this kind of scenery. I'm talking this up with my wife tonight.

sg1974 Gold

PP,

Thanks, it is a nice place so easy to take some reasonable looking photos.

This is just one place which is a good day trip from London.

There are other nice places like: Oxford, Cambridge, Canterbury, bath, windsor to name a few that are worth a visit.

SG,

Great pictures and wonderful report!

This really has me wanting to visit SoA next May and hope we can get together along with Chrisf, Arkwright and others in London.  Would love to be able to also get back to Stonehenge.  Do you have any pictures or information on Stonehenge?

I really think this is what makes MRI work, the "Real travel information" gained here is invaluable to other travelers!

sg1974 Gold

JC,

Thanks.

Here are some Stonehenge photos from 2006! I have visited twice, I'll have to look and see if there are any more recent one's.

It is an interesting site, but really depends on each persons taste. Some will just think a pile of stones, others will be intriged by the configuration of the stones and the history to it.

Stonehenge.co.uk - Your guide to Stonehenge, the World's Favourite Megalithic Stone Circle

Pictures August 2006 146.jpg

Pictures August 2006 156.jpg

If you were to visit Stonehenge then I would advise a visit to Salisbury also (10 miles away). The cathedral there is excellent, it house the Magna Carta.

Welcome to Salisbury Cathedral

DSC_0790.JPG

DSC_0851.JPG

SG

SG,

Did visit Stonehenge, and it was great!

Likewise, I stayed at The Winston Churchill Hotel in Salisbury!  What a night that was, walked across the street and played darts with a couple of nurses from Chicago and Detroit.  Us "Yanks", had a few pints of good ale!

Location Brand Hotel
                    Salisbury, England
                      sg1974 Gold

JC,

There doesn't seem many places you haven't been!

I will know how to ask when looking for information on places.

SG

SG,

Yes, I have been very lucky to visit so many lovely places.  One weakness though it that I tend to go back to the same places.  There are so many places that I have not been, and may never get to. 

SG,  without MRI, I know I would not have gone back to some places, but when I went back, it was just wonderful because I had other respected MRI information, and it really made a difference!

By the way, I went to The beautiful church in Salisbury, but don't remember The Magna Carta, (Think I had a little bit, too much fun the night before!) 

Wasn't that the first "Anglican Church" in England?  I remember, it had some much historical significance?

sg1974 Gold

JC,

I know what you mean about wanting to repeat places that you have been to.

I have found some very good information from this site.

I'm not sure about the answer to your question.

It feels like an exam question!

Here is the History of the Cathedral from their website: Brief History - Salisbury Cathedral

SG

Sorry, SG,

I probably worded this the wrong way!

No exam for sure, Thanks for the post on the Cathedral!  It was a great place to visit and I just could not remember why it was so famous!

I mentioned that I just go to the same places, maybe too much, and should diversify a little more.  Been to GB over 50 times, but still have not made it to Scotland nor Ireland!  Just have too good of a time in England!

sg1974 Gold

JC,

I was joking!

From what I have read the church is impressive due to the time it took to build, 38 years. Houses the Magna Carta (there are 4 versions altogether), and highest spire to climb.

It is certainly one of the better Cathedral's in the country. We visited Norwich Cathedral recently which is also an impressive structure.http://www.cathedral.org.uk/visitorinfo/

Not too far from there is Sprowston Manor which is a good Marriott property.

SG

SG,

Whew!  You had me worried!

Thought maybe I had mis-worded something!  (I do that often).  Glad all is OK, I was worried about getting that "Glass of Sherry" with you when we all get together in London in May.

Please keep those posts and pictures coming!

Jerry, maybe we should try Gordon's wine bar for that glass of sherry? ... I think that they serve it direct from the barrel.  Gordon's is near Charing Cross and claims to be the oldest wine bar in London.

chrisf,

Got my room booked at County Hall, May 12th-May 18th!  Got my flight booked on Delta!  I am set!

We need to target Wed, May 15th for our get together and everyone is welcome to join us at The CL at County Hall!  From there, we may have to have a "Sip" of Sherry at Gordon's!

Jerry ... I've added 15th to my diary ... we may even stay over at the County Hall ... after all, we will have been at home for over a week by then ...

chrisf,

Send me that information on Houston, when you can and I then concentrate on getting a good deal at County Hall.  They are not aware of our "World Tour" plans YET!

Jerry, I've sent you a note but will add our schedule to the original Southern States posting - our kids are working shifts looking after the house whilst we're away ... I can imagine my wine cellar and the freezers will be empty when we get back!!

Chris,

Got your direct message and will respond shortly.

Am seeing Johnny Mathis tonight and have to get ready!

Thanks for all!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Beautiful pictures SG!  Thanks for posting these.  We hope we can make it here when we go to UK in a couple of years!

sg1974 Gold

Thanks,

You have plenty of time then to do your research and ask some questions if you require any assistance.

I'll happily give an opinion on places that you may like to visit.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...