12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 4:23 PM by vaboywnder RSS

Transferring Points from Ultimate Rewards to Marriott?? HELP!

sophiesmom77 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hello!

I am new to the whole rewards game and need some help. We don't travel often but I've earned lots of points recently through credit card reward systems and I want to have an awesome free trip soon.  So, I have a stockpile of Southwest rewards (rapid rewards) over 100,000 and won't be using them all for travel because I have the companion pass to travel for free. I have 100,000 marriott points but need 125,000 for a week stay in Florida. I need those 25K points but don't want to pay for them. I've heard you can transfer ultimate rewards to marriott. So, here's my question. Can I transfer Southwest rapid rewards to ultimate rewards then to marriott? I know the points ratio sucks (so i've heard) when transferring. But can this be done the way I have noted? I just need 25K marriott points and want the best way to get them! HELP!!  I also have US air and a boatload of American Air points (200,000) but I am assuming they cannot be transfered to Marriott....

Thanks for any input!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Transferring Points from Ultimate Rewards to Marriott?? HELP!
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

sophiesmom77,

I do not know of a way to convert your Southwest Rewards into Marriott Rewards.  However most Travel Rewards programs have options that allow you to purchase Gift Cards which usually include Marriott.  Perhaps you can use your airline points to buy Marriott Gift Cards to cover the night(s) that you do not have enough Marriott Points for.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sophiesmom77 Silver 21 Reviews

Yes I will do that as a last resort, thank you. I am just trying to keep my vacation as one itenary and one payment (with points) so that way I can get the buy4 get 5th night free option. Just seeing what my best option is and cheapest. Thanks for the reply!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Sophiesmom,

For 100,000 points, you can stay 5 nights at category 4 hotels. Keep in kind with Marriott, the category does not speak to the "quality rating" of a hotel. It's a reflection on how many rewards stays get booked at a facility.  So, I have a few questions and then maybe we can help.....Do you have a particular hotel that at which you must stay? If not, how flexible are you as far as distance and amenities? How did you arrive at the 125,000 point total? Is that because the hotel your looking at is a cat. 5?

sophiesmom77 Silver 2 Reviews

Yes it's a specific hotel... it's the only one I could find with everything we wanted (beachfront, free breakfast and free internet!) for the cheapest points. The 100,000 points are not beachfront.

Might you be a little more transparent......Which hotel are you looking at? Sometimes they run Pointsavers at Marriott that may kick in. I'll check it out for you and let you know, if you share the name.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

painedplatinum is right.  If you let us know what hotel you're looking for, and the approximate timeframe, the Insiders here really like to help others get the best deal they can!

sophiesmom77 Silver 5 Reviews

That's awesome!

Ok here you go:

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Pompano Beach/Oceanfront

1350 North Ocean Boulevard

Pompano Beach, Florida 33062

March 30- April 5

Sorry for not including this before... again new to the whole points game. You guys are great!

Sophiesmom,

I checked a couple of things..... The only cat 4 beach hotel from Marriott in Florida is the Hotels in Jensen Beach, Florida | Jensen Beach, Florida Hotels.

Now, Courtyards do not have the free breakfast, but it's on the beach, your date frame is actually 6 days, so this would cost 100,000 points for the whole 6 days. According to Google maps it's 1 hr 36 min north of Pompano Beach.

I don't see any points discounts being offered for your preferred Residence Inn in Pompano. That would keep the points cost for a 6 night stay at the 125,000..as of now.  Marriott will allow you to make a points plus cash reservation. Currently, the cash rate is $249 plus tax for a night. You could use your 100,000 points plus the $249.

The question is could you eat breakfast on the 6 days cheaper than $249 if you decided to try the Courtyard in Jensen Beach.

One other thought...If you don't already have the Chase Marriott Visa, you could get that and they'll dump 50,000 points in your account. If you already have one. Your spouse can get one and I believe you are allowed to transfer, with limits, from one spouse to the other.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

As gemprincess mentioned, if you can get the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa card, you get 50,000 points which would cover you nicely for the points you are missing.  Also, you get one free Category 5 stay every year, so that is a nice benefit as well.  They now have a link to that on the Marriott home page when you sign in.

sophiesmom77 Silver 5 Reviews

Thanks everyone! My husband and I actually both have the Marriott rewards CC. I have decided to knock a day off of our stay so we can stay completely for free using the 100,000 points. That way we are close to the airport still and get our beachfront and free breakfast. I greatly appreciate all of your comments and feedback!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...