6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2012 5:59 PM by jkernitzki RSS

Traveling while ill

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm not sure how many of you can cancel plans because of illness, but my particular role doesn't really allow for that except in actual emergencies.  Headed PHX-DEN-ATL (and then a 90-minute drive to Athens) tomorrow with a nagging cough, aches & pains, 102F temp, and just enough fogginess to make it more than the usual challenge. But as long as I have my voice and I don't pop an eardrum on one of the flights, I'll get through. Actually, there's only been a single trip in thirteen years that I couldn't make because of health (but a lot that likely should've been cancelled).

So how do you guys manage it? Do you curl up in bed until it's past, or are you of the grin & bear it sort?  Any favorite remedies, treatments, or other palliative methods you have in the kit to make it all tolerable?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Traveling while ill
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

That's a most difficult call. 

Have not had to deal with a situation like this alone.  Make sure you call ahead and let the hotel know of your situation so they can give you a peaceful room.

We all wish you the best on your trip, and "Get well soon"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

j - I say that unless your travel is absolutely necessary, stay at home in bed for the next couple of days to recover.  Hope it passes soon.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I've had more than my share of these events over my career.  Having been a smoker for way too many years, I would have more than my share of "flu-type" symptoms  year-in-year-out.  I would take a ton of aspirins, tylenol, and robitussin pm to help me get through the days/nights until I felt better.  In retrospect, I should have cancelled trips, not for me, but for the folks I likely made sick by being around them......  That said, my mom instilled an ethic in her kids that pretty much never allowed for a missed day at schools, and that continued on in my career.  If I have missed a handful of days over the coure of my life due to sickness, I cannot remember when.

Hope you feel better.  Get some prescription drugs if it turns into a infection.

shoeman

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Kernitzki,

You have potentially opened up a can of worms that I shant touch, in the interest of not stepping on anyone's toes or creating controversy.

As far as remedy, it's the same whether you travel or not.  Dring plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest, as much as your schedule permits.  In the interest of others traveling with you and if your vanity can swing it (and I say that because I honestly don't know if mine could) wear a mask.  Hope you're feeling better soon.

P.S.  I know folks who say that keeping packets of Emergency-C on hand for use at the earliest signs of a cold or flu really does help.  And as a matter of fact, we have adopted the practice of carrying them with us while traveling.  I eat foods high in vitamins and anti-oxidants and am generally well rested, and I almost never get sick.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Sorry, j, but you're not going to like my answer.  Please stay home until you are past the contagious stage and do not infect your fellow flyers.

I'm currently suffering from a new cold, sore throat and coughing that I can only assume was caught from a fellow passenger on a very recent flight. He wasn't even covering his mouth and nose during his coughing and sneezing fits.  Yuck!

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

Ah, would that I could. If I were enough of an interchangeable cog in my particular machine, it would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, mine is a position that—through the genius of personnel management above my paygrade—doesn't allow me the luxury of "calling in sick" without severe repercussions to my clients, and consequently the company and ultimately myself. My specific skills and the calendar both conspire to make me essentially unable to alter my schedule for anything short of hospitalization. I do try to make every effort to shield my fellow travelers from any unwanted "sharing".

I hope you get yourself right soon.  I'm over my maladie du année (this was just a three-day for me); my trevails tend to be fatigue-induced, and not necessarily a viral or bacterial infection. Basically, I just get so beat down that my body responds to the various deficiencies as it does a cold or flu. Everybody's different, but I treat myself symptomatically, working on the fever, sinuses, aches, whatever individually and that gets me through it all until I can "recharge" enough to stand on my own again.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...