63 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2013 6:33 PM by texasvoyager RSS

Where did you use your Free Category 4/5 Certificates?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There has been lots of discussions about the free Category 4 and 5 Certificates on the Insiders earned from Marriott and Credit Card promotions.  Since the Year is almost over I'm curious to hear from other Insiders about where they used their free certificates.

I used my two free category 4 certificates at the Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley while in town for Comic Con.  I was lucky that I made the reservation prior to the hotel being moved to a Category 5 type and it saved me a lot of $$ since hotel rates were much higher because of the event.

I haven't used my category 5 certificate yet but plan to on New Years Eve in Atlanta at the JW Marriott in Buckhead.  A friend of mine in Atlanta has a party each year with an art show and the JW Marriott Buckhead has an excellent spread in the concierge's lounge on NYE.   This certificate will save me over $300 for this night alone.

So where did you use your free Certificates?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Atlanta, Georgia, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
San Diego, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle
Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Hanover Lebanon
Chelsea, Massachusetts, USA
Boise, Idaho, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Boise
Long Beach, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Long Beach Hotel
Oakland, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Oakland Marriott City Center
San Luis Obispo, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard San Luis Obispo
San Jose, California, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites San Jose Airport
Salinas, California, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Salinas Monterey
Los Angeles, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Los Angeles Century City/Beverly Hills
Long Beach, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Long Beach Marriott
Beverly Hills, California, USA
Newark, New Jersey, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Arlington, Virginia, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Courtyard Lubbock Downtown
Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Renaissance Denver Downtown City Center Hotel
Bristol, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre
  • Re: Where did you use your Free Category 4/5 Certificates?
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Great question, vaboy.  We used Category 4 certificates at the Houston International Airport Marriott and the New Orleans Marriott Lakeway for mid-week stays.  We'll be using a Category 4 certificate at the Lebanon, New Hampshire Residence Inn and a Category 5 certificate at the new Residence Inn Chelsea, Massachusetts (near the Boston Airport) during our upcoming leaf-peeping trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Hanover Lebanon
    Chelsea, Massachusetts, USA
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Vaboy,

We haven't had a chance to use ours.  Here are our plans/options:

For the Cat. 5, a weekend at the Long Beach Renaissance or the Courtyard in SLO.

For the Cat. 4's, one will be used on a road trip to Boise, one at the Oakland Marriott (BART right across the street, 12 minute ride to Union Square) for a budget SF weekend getaway, one and perhaps two will be used at the FFI in San Jose, for our goings and comings to HI.

We also like to use the Cat. 4's in Salinas, near the Monterey Peninsula.

Location Brand Hotel
    Boise, Idaho, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Boise
    Long Beach, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Long Beach Hotel
    Oakland, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Oakland Marriott City Center
    San Luis Obispo, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard San Luis Obispo
    San Jose, California, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites San Jose Airport
    Salinas, California, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Salinas Monterey
      maria-in-va Platinum 1 Reviews

We used our Cat 5 certificates at the Norfolk VA Waterside Marriott back in March.  It was great.  Booked tickets to see Wicked at Chrysler Hall. It was a beautiful evening and an easy walk to the Theatre.  Looking forward to doing the same next year when Jersey Boys comes to town...

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

I used my two Cat 4 certificates at the Renaissance Montura LAX for two nights in September when my daughter flew to LAX and I drove the 4 hours down from my home near Mt. Whitney. We had a special get-together without the spouses and other children. It's a lovely hotel. I am using my Cat 5 certifcate there before heading to Canada early next month. Even though the hotel is 'only' a Cat 4, it feels like a 5 and it's worth spending the certificate there.

The Renaissance Montura LAX is a great hotel when you need to stay in the LAX area.  I've stayed there a couple of times but it has been a few years.  I remember they used to have rubber ducks in the bathroom.

duck.jpg

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Alas, no rubber duckies for us last month. Though the Renaissance Montura may be an airport area hotel, it is an easy quick drive to Venice, Santa Monica, or Manhattan Beach (via surface streets or freeway) where one can enjoy the ocean....a special treat for this reluctant high desert dweller.

texasvoyager Platinum 30 Reviews

Ah, the rubber duckies!  We have only three after all these years but love them.  The first two were from the Renaissance Dallas Richardson.  As we stayed near Halloween, they were dressed as a pumpkin and a little devil.  Our most recent was from the Marriott Ft. Collins.  The property was under construction at the time so this ducky was a building contractor.  We had a great laugh with that one.  They now adorn our master bath.  I wish more Marriott hotels would do this.  I'd love to build the 'collection'.

lisaeholland1 Platinum 6 Reviews

Thanks to the heads up I received on the Insider site I was alerted to the fact that the Courtyard Coconut Beach on Kauai was going to be upgraded to a category 5 about a week before it actually took effect so was able to book my stay while it was still a category 4.Nothing fancy but located on a lovely and quiet beach and friendly staff.

barnesgene Platinum 1 Reviews

It's still a bargain.  We just got back from there and were very pleased -- centrally located and way comfy.  It's a Cat 5 now, like you said, but deserves the rating.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Cat 5: Courtyard Los Angeles Century City/Beverly Hills

Cat 4: Long Beach (CA) Marriott (usually)

Location Brand Hotel
    Los Angeles, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Los Angeles Century City/Beverly Hills
    Long Beach, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Long Beach Marriott
    sg1974 Gold

I have organised to use my 3 category 4 certificates at the World Golf Village Rennaisance St Augustine at the end of the year.

taxman415 Platinum

I usually saved my certificates for the holiday season and used for them friends and family that come to Florida to visit... The Renaissance in Plantation (category 4) is great hotel with wonderful service and ideal location... I highly recommend this hotel... Happy hunting...

mamr Gold

I just used my certificate to Courtyard Mariott in Ontario, Canada. It was a great experience

Mamr,

Was that by chance the Courtyard in Downtown Toronto?  There's quite a few Courtyards in Ontario.

mamr Gold

5950 Victoria Ave

Niagara Falls

You can see the Falls better on the Canada side; however, to perform the major attractions. It is much cheaper to walk to NY. I was told the attractions are seasonal running from April until end of Oct. It was a great experience; however, the currency rate was not in my favor. 

PSU Fan Platinum 2 Reviews

We used our Category 5 at the Denver Marriott  City Center (one of our 9 nights during a drive from CA to PA) - a beautiful hotel with a great concierge lounge and good location. We plan to use two Category 4 nights at the Residence Inn in State College in November and the third Category 4 at the PHL Renaissance before we fly to Las Vegas in December. Just love those free nights!

trafcon Platinum

If you are in the Orlando area, use the Cat 5 at the Sea World Renaissance.  It has a good location and a great pool area for when you are not visiting the Mouse or Orca.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Cat 4 we usually use the night before early vacation flights near the airport.

Cat 5's usually in Thailand (great Cat 5's there) or Ren. in Aruba.

pusher Platinum 3 Reviews

JW Marriott Las Vegas - Cat 5  Great stay !!!

Went for Air Force v. UNLV football game -

Sadly Air Force Lost but the hotel stay was worth the trip

dreamtrip Platinum 5 Reviews

I plan on using 2 of my category 4 certificates in Maui in February.  There is a new courtyard by the airport which is a category 4 hotel.  Since we are arriving in Hawaii late at night we decided it was a good time to use one of the certificates.  Also, this hotel is hear Mama's restaurant that I have heard excellent reviews about so we are going to spend another night and maybe take the road to Hana before moving over to the Marriott in waimea for the rest of our 7 night stay.  We are using points for that stay but only have enough points for garden view room.  Hoping we won't be disappointed that we didn't spend the extra money for a ocean view.    

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Good luck on getting the upgrade, dreamtrip.  If there's availability, you should get one.  Let us know!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Maui sounds great as a place to use them.  The CY is brand new and should be nice.  I will have to consider that in the future if they don't up the cat.  Mamas is pricey but good.  The road to Hana is a real treat.

barnesgene Platinum 1 Reviews

We generally take a pragmatic view toward our use of the free night at a Cat 5.  This year, as we were running short on time, we had a trip planned for the East Coast and wound up using it for the Residence Inn Newark/Elizabeth- Liberty Int'l Airport (Cat 4).  Used the location to have a good visit with some friends in the area before moving on to Connecticut (also a factor: some shopping across the street, a rare Saks Off-Fifth discount outlet).

Most years though we have tried to make it more sexy -- a nice weekend somewhere, a new discovery in a new town, that kind of thing...

There is a Courtyard in Prague that is a Cat. 4.  Only a couple of stops from the historic center.  There are also a couple of CY's in Vienna, Austria that are less than Cat. 4.  We'll have to see what changes take place regarding hotel categories in the next couple of months, and then update the thread if needed.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Just used 2 Cat 1-4 certificates at RI in Rosslyn VA, a short walk over Key Bridge to Georgetown.

Am reading the other posts, and am confused.

How do you get Cat 5 certificates?

I would love to have these and would solve a lot of my problems, as my favorite hotel, the Key Bridge Marriott, and the most convenient hotel, the FS at EWR, are both Cat 5.  Would love to be able to use my certificates there.

Also, NYC has no Cat 4 properties, and WDC has only 1 on NY Ave which is a horrible place to stay.

Location Brand Hotel
    Newark, New Jersey, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
    Arlington, Virginia, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Courtyard Lubbock Downtown
    Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Renaissance Denver Downtown City Center Hotel
    bigmaninva Gold 1 Reviews

I used two certificates at the courtyard Hong Kong.  A very nice Cat 4 on HK island convenient to the tramway that runs along the island.  its the only Cat 4 on HK island i think.

bretta Silver 2 Reviews

I used my certificate in Savannah, GA.  It was a lovely weekend.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Which location did you stay in Savannah, bretta?

Savannah, GA is really a great place to visit, especially out of season.  I went there with my sister in the summer once when I picked up my sister in Brunswick, GA.  Traffic is terrible in some of the narrow, cobble stone streets by the water.  Still gorgeous and interesting, though.

I recently used a Cat. 4 at the Courtyard Flora in Prague.  I have a reservation with a Cat. 4 for Burbank Marriott in Sept. (now a Cat. 5) and the Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront (was a 4, now a 5) for July.

I now have three Cat. 5 certs on account, and will likely be using them for properties that I used to use Cat. 4 certs at.  I sure would've liked to have been able to use them at a number of properties that last year were Cat. 5, but now are Cat. 6. 

rcold Gold 1 Reviews

I will be using my category 4 certificates in Newport News, Virginia as opposed to Williamsburg because since Marriott changed the category ratings there are no more category 4 hotels in Williamsburg. Thanks much Marriott.

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

rcold, If I am not mistaken, The Courtyard Williamsburg/Busch Gardens is a cat 4 now. A great hotel to enjoy that area.

Used mine at the Princeton Forrestal Marriott during the blizzard this winter...enjoyed watching the snow fall, eating in the restaurant, instead of scurrying to the supermarket to stock up, and shoveling snow.  Luckily by the time I got home, the snow had melted.

suzque Platinum 1 Reviews

We used ours for the last few years at the Irvine Marriott in So Cal.  It's close for us but a great place for visitors, with lots to do in the area including Disneyland.  They're undergoing a lobby renovation now, but will be finished by end of summer 2013.

Suz,

Irvine Marriott was my best kept secret. As a Cat. 4, it was a stellar deal. Now it's a Cat. 5, but you can still get pretty good cash rates. Only 3 miles from Newport Beach, and a great property.  Thanks for the lobby info.

suZque,

I have a distant CAMP relative in CA whose husband calls her Susyque (sp?).  She travels a lot, winning a lot of trips.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I used a category 4 certificate for Fairfield Inn Napa American Canyon.  That hotel, like the Courtyard Novato Marin / Sonoma, is now a Category 5 and the SpringHill Suites is now a category 6.

The SpringHill Suites is typically $289/night.  Room rates vary at the other two--they tend to go anywhere from $159 to $209/night.

thor Gold 13 Reviews

Cat 4 certificates, I booked in Residence Inn in La Jolla, San Diego this coming 4th of July (2nights).

Cat 5 cert, I booked at Goleta, Santa Barbara - Courtyard for 3 nights (paying 2nights). I heard this is a new hotel.

My first time on both hotels.

And I booked both prior to the cat. changes as suggested here in insiders.

Thanks!

realfortin Silver

I don't think I can use my certificates.  I'm travelling to Japan for work(pre-booked hotel), then on my return we are moving to Hawaii.  There are no 1-4 on any of the islands.  My certificates will expire.

Does anyone have tips or tricks?  Transferability, extending the expiry?  Using points to make up the difference between a cat 5 and 4?

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

I used two Category 4 certificates at the Marriott Associa Hotel in Nagoya Japan.  It is now, I believe a Category 5 hotel, but when we stayed in April 2013 it was a Category 4.  What a deal that was!

View of city from our 40th floor room.  Everything about the hotel was just great!

Nagoya city from hotel late afternoon.jpg

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Let's see.  Where did I use my certificates?  That would be the Residence Inn National Harbor, and the Buffalo Residence Inn Cheektowaga.  Not my first choices but time and location dictated the use.

texasvoyager Platinum 30 Reviews

My wife and I often use ours for a quick romantic getaway at the Courtyard in Allen, Texas.  This property is more like a full Marriott than any Courtyard I've ever stayed at.  This is a very new, modern, and simply beautiful property that is set in the heart of north suburban Dallas. It is surrounded by great dinning, shopping, and entertainment in the Fairview and Allen Village Town Center open air malls.

I was using them at Princeton Forrestal which is a wonderful place to stay.  Luckily I used them up already as they went from Cat 4 to 5, so I would no longer be able to use my Cat 4 certificates there.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I have another Category 5 certificate that I need to use by October.  Not sure where.  Maybe one of the just outside of SF Marriotts like the San Jose Marriott or San Mateo Marriott.

jeffreydurbin Silver

How do I get this free certificate?  I have the credit card - for business and a personal one.  Did I miss something because I do paperless billing?

jeffreydurbin Silver

How do I get this free certificate?  I have the credit card - for business and a personal one.  Did I miss something because I do paperless billing?

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

welcome jeffreydurbin. You can get free certificates a number of ways. The Marriott Premier visa card gives you an ecertificate each year you renew. There are numerous bonus programs that can get you free nights as well such as mega bonuses or fall promotions, etc...

When you have been around as long as some of the posters on this site such as pained, jerrycoin, pluto, ssindc, gemprincess, erc, missgee and iahflyr, Marriott will probably just give them to you because you practically live there anyway...

There are probably some other ways as well so I will leave it open to the guys I mentioned above to fill you in.

You might have been registered for the "Unexpected Bonus" that's going on right now that has different assignments.  Check on your Bonus in your personal account.  If you haven't been pre-registered, call customer service to register for the one that begins soon and ask if it's too late to earn for the unexpected one.

There is also a way to earn extra points by referring friends and family.  Both you and your referral get 2000 points for each stay up to 5 for the first year, and up to 50,000 points (I think) for the one who submits the referral.  Be sure to do it yourself and include your rewards number so you can get credit.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I've got 2 category 4 certificates that expire in November. I'm using them in late October at the Bristol Marriott City Centre in Bristol England. Should be fun.

Location Brand Hotel
    Bristol, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre

bejacob,

Outstanding.  It's always nice to use those puppies abroad!  I am also thinking about heading out that way next Spring when we will be in London.  Please be sure to let us know how your stay goes.

oilmasters Platinum 1 Reviews

I used our 2 x Cat. 4 certificates at Redmond, WA on July 9th & 10th at the Residence Inn.  It was located in a quaint area with shops and restaurants.   It's about a 20 minute drive into Seattle.  I chose to stay further from Seattle to use my certs because this hotel had good reviews.  I used our 1 - Cat. 5 certificate in Seattle at the Courtyard Downtown Lake Union.  The view was nice of Lake Union.  Some construction going on nearby.  Yes, we had to switch hotels to use up our cat. 4 & 5 certs that were expiring, but it was a free stay so no complaints .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...