32 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2014 7:30 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Niagara on the Lake! Enjoy!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

If you are in the area to celebrate the Bi-Centennial of the War of 1812, go to Niagara on the Lake.

It is a wonderful area, full of history and scenery.  Great dining and shopping make the place very special.

IMG_2609.JPG

The Harp, rated one of the finest "Fish and Chips" dining places in Canada.

IMG_2620.JPG

Great vineyards and places for fine dining.

IMG_2610.jpg

No Marriott's in town, and this is a fine place to stay.  Great dining and very hospitable!

IMG_2606.JPG

Wonderful fort, check your history books on this place!

IMG_2615.JPG

This is a most interesting place,

IMG_2618.JPG

This is a very special place to dine, and reasonable.  Great view of the Niagara River and fine service.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Niagara Falls, Canada
  • Re: Niagara on the Lake! Enjoy!
    sg1974 Gold

JC

NIce photos really enjoyed our visit there.

It is a beautiful little place.

Keep the photos coming.

SG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sg1974,

This is really a beautiful place!  Here is a few more photo's.  Again, this is a place I would go back to:

IMG_2613.JPG

Quaint Village, you can walk the town very easily!  Note the "Soldiers Memorial" in the center of the street and picture.

IMG_2605.JPG

Note the Fall foliage and flowers that adorn the streets!

IMG_2608.JPG

Historic Fort where the Niagara River enters Lake Ontario!

IMG_2614.JPG

Family friendly and compact place to visit!

IMG_2616.JPG

I can't resist shops like these and got a couple of local ornaments for my Christmas tree!

IMG_2622.JPG

Vineyards and Estates abound around Niagara on the Lake!

IMG_2630.JPG

Dining at The Queens Landing was so scenic, the Niagara River is just behind the patio.  If you go, ask for Rudy, he is one of the finest waiters I have ever experienced.  He works "Magic" with a camera!  Here's a picture of Rudy, a wonderful, professional server

IMG_2633.JPG

Next trip, I would probably stay at The Courtyard in Niagara Falls and commute the 20 minute or so drive.

Location Brand Hotel
      Niagara Falls, Canada
        erc Platinum

Insiders rule - again. In a case of going around the elbow to get to the thumb (thanks to IAHFLYR for his photo), I was sipping a local brew, catching up on some college football (now that baseball is of no interest to me ) and taking a glance at the ol' Insiders forum. Reading jakeal's excellent write up on Philly (oh yeah baby, New Year's Day and the Mummers!) and jerrycoin's London Fine Dining, Enjoyable!, I noticed in the More Like This column Niagara on the Lake Enjoy (that's why we love the coinman, he's into enjoyment). Having had a terrific time on my own trip to Niagara on the Lake (inspired by Insiders) I clicked and reminisced about the fun I had dining, wining (ice wines as well), shows, pies, and of course - beer.

Jerry's CY idea above hit home - for those of us who have been to the lovely falls and don't need a window view,

(I'm going to have to take an ssindc photography class - You'd think I worked for a 3 letter agency )

the CY is a clever idea (the CY scores well on reviews and is an easy walk to the falls/ drive to the lake). I really enjoy this area and to boot (look at me, I'm talkin' Canadian, oops that's about ), United offers affordable fares from IAD to Buffalo and then we make a pleasant drive upstate and into Canada.

Ok, now for the hook of this post: You can currently book weeknights (up to three) using AAA for $79 US (courtesy of the strength of the buck vs. the loonie, there's those bi-lingual skills again) as late as June 16th - pleasant enough weather.  I just might find myself up on the lake - how about you?   American vs Canadian Pronunciation - YouTube

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

the Fallsview suites in the Marriott have some of my all-time favorite views anywhere.... incredible....

ssindc,

Glad all went well for you!  Thank-you for the wonderful comment!

IMG_2562.JPG

erc Platinum

One of the drawbacks of this forum format is the divergent scrambling of eyeballs caused by thread reply.

Before anyone drives off to Ft. George; a reminder of why this two year old thread was brought back to life:

$79 weeknight AAA rates at the Courtyard Niagara Falls into Mid-June

I'm still looking   for ssindc's 'wonderful comment'

IMG_2636.jpg

The CY is a wonderful place to stay, and don't forget to visit one of the most unique places to dine! 

Enjoy the Niagara Falls area!  There is not many places like it!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Where did you get that picture of me and my golf swing?

Niagara Falls is just an amazing place with so much power in that water.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jerrycoin,

As always, another top notch destination post.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Thanks for the pictures.  We loved visiting Niagara on the Lake.

razprbackfan,

I again want to thank-you for your posts on the area.  Without them I would have never wanted to go back!  But this time of year makes this a very special place to go!

Thanks!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Thank you for posting, Jerry.  I learn about so many new and interesting places here on Insiders, many thanks to you.  So nice that you share them with us.  The photos are actually informative as well as beautiful.

Thanks Pluto!

You are so right!  You can see without the information and photo's Razor posted on the area, I would have never gone back.  Now I would like to back next Fall!

Here is another fine place to dine in Niagara on the Lake!  The vineyard is wonderful.

IMG_2641.JPG

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

JC,

Nice pics!

Have not been since we use to go to the Shakespeare Festivals many years ago

http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/about/history.aspx?id=8217

Since its only 3 hr from MI we use to go alot

http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/visitor/gettinghere.aspx?id=66

GemPrincess,

Great information!  Am looking forward to going back next year.

Since you are from Michigan, I am looking forward to an upcoming trip to a city I have never been, but heard so much about, Frankenmuth, MI ( Another whole post in itself)

Thanks again for all of your interesting comments.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Quite a few years ago, we enjoyed a trip to a wonderful Christmas store In Frankenmuth.  In those days, I collected a bicycle themed Christmas ornament from all our vacations.  I'm sure I bought several ornaments there.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Ah yes, Frankenmuth!

We use to go their as kids for the fried chicken and the 'german' ambience, though it was almost as long of a drive there as to the Shakespeare Theater in Canada.

Both are fun, but in different ways!

GemPrincess,

The Shakespeare Theater sure sounds like fun.  So does Frankenmuth!

vagabond12 Platinum

great pics!  they brought back memories of when we used to live in Buffalo area and explored the region around us!

vagabond12,

Thanks for your post!

There is so much to do in the area.  Enormous crowds were going/coming from Erie, PA.  Canadians were shopping at the Outlet Malls and saving a lot on taxes by coming to the US.  Getting into Canada on a Sunday night was very slow due to all the shoppers and tourists going to Canada.

It was a fun trip and I hope to do it again next Fall!

This is a great place to visit!IMG_2606.JPG

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Great post with fabulous pictures, jerrycoin.  We love this town.  I was stationed at the Army Base at Fort Niagara (Nike-Hercules) across the Lake from there in the late 50's.  I and my Army buddies spent many hours in Niagara on the Lake, including at a beach (at least I think there was a beach).  Love the Falls also and always visit this special place when visiting NY/Canada.

bpelican,

Thanks!

This is really a wonderful place to visit!

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

There is so much to see and do at Niagara on the Lake!  Irish places are always fun!

Now who would have guessed that our very own jerrycoin would know anything about Pubs?

IAHFLYR,

Thanks for your wonderful comment!  I have been know to infrequently stop in at Irish Pubs, just to make sure that they are not serving minors!

Haven't found one yet!  It is a difficult task, but my public duty!

Take care!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

That explains jerrycoin's restaurant choice when I visited St. Louis. pub.jpg

A nice easy walk from the Renaissance. Quite the enjoyable lunch (and no minors spotted). Keep up the good work.

bejacob,

That's right!  Another Irish Pub!

I did check ID's that day, but found no minors!  I have to hit all of the places along the way in my travels, I'll find some someday!

erc Platinum

IMG_4022.JPG

Whereas I saw you throw back a few pints, I missed the part where you carded underage drinkers

IMG_2583.JPG

erc,  I make it a point to check all these kinds of places out while visiting areas like Niagara Falls.  Like "The Music Man", it all starts with a "P" and that stands for Pool! 

Or not even while in Niagara Falls one must check out the serving of minors!

S3600006.JPG

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...