7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 9:54 AM by jeffl RSS

Who sets Category levels for Marriott ? What criteria ?

scbuckeye Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Some Marriott properties, e.g., Fairfield Inn, are listed as category 2 in some locations, but category 3 or 4 at others. Since the property itself and its attendant amentities don't change, how does Marriott justify the difference ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Who sets Category levels for Marriott ? What criteria ?
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I believe it is based on how often reservations are made using points

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

razorback is exactly right. The hotel categories move either up or down depending on the number of 'points' reservations that have been made at the particular property.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

taxman415 Platinum

I am sure that location is also big driver in setting the level... A Marriott property on the water is more desirable (i.e. higher level) rather than a property located in the middle of town...

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Hi taxman ... gee, using that name leaves me a bit uncomfortable ... makes me think that I am trying to negotiate on my tax-return ...

I was also a little surprised to see that it was only the frequency of MR points use at a location that got its rating.  However, I have been pleasantly surprised to find quite a number of very nice places at Cat 4 or below.  I am surprised to see some FFI locations rated at this level though ... I am amazed that a lot of people would spend points at FFIs ... they are normally very keenly priced and it seems a waste of points at the rates generally charged.  I use FFI quite a lot and always pay for my stays.

jeffl Platinum 1 Reviews

The initial category is set mainly by desirability of the location and the hotel brand. For example, the Fairfield Inn near Kennedy Space Center Florida and the JW Marriott in Azerbaijan are both Category 3, whereas the Marriott Champs-Elysees Paris is Category 8. Then they adjust up and down depending on rewards point usage. If usage is high, that tells them the Category is too low, if points usage is low, then the Category must be overstated. A way you can take advantage of this is to stay in places that you find interesting that are probably not of general interest to everybody, such as destinations off the tourist path. They can be lower Category values and still very nice hotels.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...