7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 10:56 AM by lone6star RSS

Customer Service Where Art Thou

sacerdos15 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have detailed my lament on another discusion more than a month ago.It had to do with the San Juan Marriott Solaris resort charging me $20 for shipping my luggage via Fed Ex (using Luggage Forward) even though the luggage arrived a few hours before I did.I asked cusomer srevice why the charge especially since they would not charge me if I had carried my bag in.I use the service because a stroke had left me unable to handle a large suitcase in the airport.I stay at only Marriotts and I have been to Delray Beach,Hollywood,Fla.,Grande Cayman,Aruba,and other places and have never been charged this fee.When I booked my room (ocean front corner room) on the marriott elite phone line the fee was not mentioned nor was it on the website.The CS responded promptly and assured me they would look into it.I then received a courteous reply from the hotel which did not answer my question.Instead it raised more.The hotel said the $20 charge plus tax was according to accepted practice.According to the company Luggage Forward this has never happened with any hotel includling Marriott except with large hotels in Las Vegas.The hotel desk said the edict came from "Corporate".This was the first (and last)time I stayed at the Solaris .I have been to Puerto Rico twice before but stayed at the Ritz. The hotel then added a strange phrase.It said that they also charge $10 for envelopes.In my response to CS after I received my reply  from the hotel,I asked"What is this envelope fee? In my letter to CS I made mention of the travel column in the travel section of the Washingon Post,the Navigator,by the author of which also writes for the National Geograpic Travellor Magazine which chastized the San Juan Marriott for its 16%vresort fee.Since the Solarise was the only resort mentioned by the writer I take it he was highly annoyed.The hotel was bothered by the column and dedicated most of their response to me defending the resort fee.I also detest resort fees BUT I knew they had one because it WAS ON THEIR WEBSITE.BUT THE LUGGAGE FEE WAS NOT.I wrote to CS that the hotel ignored my question and instead answerd one I ddid not ask. As of today I have received no reply from CS

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Customer Service Where Art Thou
    erc Platinum

This case fascinates me. Why Marriott would allow a valued customer and an easily solved issue to last so long and create such irritation is beyond my comprehension. Occasionally I glance over at the Marriott Rewards Facebook page and read gobs of what I regard as senseless, borderline idiotic whining by customers who apparently wouldn't be satisfied until their entire two week vacation was comped because their entree was cold etc and Michellel and the gang do back flips over winning back their loyalty (which I respect them for). So I'm beginning to think that sadly, it may be the forum in which you state your concern (squeaky wheel - grease).

Even though Pluto, pained, shoe, and several other dedicated, thoughtful (and patient) insiders have demonstrated how to tag the community manager, I still lack that skill. Could somebody smarter than me (that opens up a wide audience) tag the comm. mgr and get sacerdos 15 some satisfaction at least comparable to the facebook zanies that whine over nothing - sac's got a legitimate beef.  Good luck and good gracious!

NathalieF

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

By inserting NathalieF in your reply you already did it, and i just repeated it for you!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings sacerdos15 - I'll forward this to customer care on your behalf to look into the situation.

erc Platinum

Thank you Andy. Good luck sacerdos 15, keep us posted.

sacerdos15 Gold 3 Reviews

I am happy to report that my concerns have been adressed.The management of the hotel  explained that they do charge for storage but that I was not.When I checked in I was handed a memo which stated the $20 fee and it appeared on my daily bill on tv plus the added tax.I called the luggage company and they said they had not heard of such  a charge from a marriott.But on my final   bill it was not there and that was when I checked out. Noone explained what had happened.My point was that if there is such a charge it should be stated  on the website as is the infamous resort fee.I could see a problem with storing a suitcase for several days but not several hours. So I was not charged the fee and it was explained and Marriott awarded me 10000 points for the inconvenience.I am very pleased with Marriott and have just booked a week of rooms at various marriotts.I am very grateful for all your support,advice and help.Marriotts social media has proven helpful and beneficial.Thank you

erc Platinum

Great news sacerdos, thanks for sharing the outcome. Excellent follow up NathalieF Andy; fine job of diving in and starting the success momentum. Perhaps this case could be shared among the various branches of Marriott customer service (and ops) as a solid example of how win-win outcomes can often be crafted when effort, listening, and common sense (which often isn't so common) are applied in a conscientious manner.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Great to read that it all worked out for you, and that you're staying with the Marriott brand!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...