17 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2012 11:34 AM by GemPrincess RSS

Recent Gaylord Resort stay couldn't have been timed worse due to Marriott Reward program update.

scorp508 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

A couple days after a week at the Gaylord Palms in Florida (One of my rare non-Marriott stays in the past 3 years) I got an email from Marriott on 10/4 saying the Gaylord resorts will be part of Marriott Rewards starting on 10/29. I called customer service hoping they would extend a courtesy to Gold Elite members and credit us for only the nights stayed, but was shot down. It probably shouldn't and I'm sure people here will tell me exactly that, but it left a bad taste in my mouth considering I go out of my way to stay at Marriott properties when there are other cheaper alternatives typically available. This was the first time I've ever called Rewards with such a question, have others done similar things and gotten different results?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Recent Gaylord Resort stay couldn't have been timed worse due to Marriott Reward program update.
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi scorp508 -- I can't do anything about the taste in your mouth, and I also go out of my way to stay at Marriott properties.  In fact, my sense is that most Insiders do the same.  But in this case, I'm glad to see Marriott sticking to the rules.  Otherwise, what's the point of publicizing the 29th as a start date, if exceptions will be made for those staying before that date?  Personally, I like rules...then I know exactly what my expectations should be.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Recent Gaylord Resort stay couldn't have been timed worse due to Marriott Reward program update.
      erc Platinum

Nuhusker nails it in my opinion. This unfortunately falls under the category of tough breaks (which we probably all have experienced with the bonus programs where we just end a trip right before the start date of the point rewarding bonus). Marriott actually did a good job getting this info out as soon as possible and crisply and concisely.

Marriott Rewards Gaylord FAQs

This FAQ is really well done. I feel for someone who has a seven day stay starting on 10/28 (rebook as two reservations), but that's the way  the points game goes sometimes.

Congrats Nuhusker on Insider of the Month, a well deserved recognition. May that momentum continue this weekend against the Buckeyes.

scorp508 Gold 2 Reviews

Frustration more than anything I'd say is what got to me after years of loyalty. I'm not going to wallow on it.

Publishing a future date is excellent for planning/adjusting future trips. Let's say I already had a reservation for a nearby full Marriott and then saw (in this case) the nicer nearby Gaylord property was now an option; it would allow me to adjust me trip to take advantage of the new deal. It would have been a great touch and a nod to those with proven status to say "yeah sorry about that, here you go since you've proven you're dedicated to us...".

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Hey Husker... Speaking about rules. Wasn't it a Big 12 game back in the early 90's where one of the teams, Colorado maybe?, was given 5 downs instead of 4? No wonder Nebraska wanted out of that conference.

artisttraveler Gold 17 Reviews

We had a similar situation in 2011 with the AC Hotel relationship. We had already planned our trip to Spain when the announcement was made. We made reservations at AC Hotels in Madrid and Toledo (5 nights), but pretty much expected that credits were not going to be given for our trip. I had hoped that since the announcement had already been made by a few months - I could plead my case.  Repeated checks with Customer Service affirmed that we would not be able to get credits - and we didn't.  However, we believe we received better treatment because of our Marriott status - we got upgraded rooms and the Toledo hotel gave us breakfast for 2 (the rate included only one).

Anyway, life and Mr. Murphy always has a few surprises - some good, some not......

Usually my timing stinks - glad to have a companion in that boat!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

probably the only thing we should be asking for in a situation like this is to perhaps have more warning.  Had you known in Aug or Sep about the timing of Gaylord Palms joining the Marriott family in October, would this have changed your plans?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks for your interest cjkatl! The acquisition is subject to approval by Gaylord's shareholders but the intent is for these hotels to fully participate in Rewards. Those discussions and details are to be reviewed in the coming months and the effective implementation date is contingent on these discussions. But we'll absolutely be sure to let you know as information is available.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Wow!

Interesting that they knew as far back as June.  Course if we were reading and retainnig everything on MI then we would be aware, but that is alot to ask.

If they can talk about it on MI, then why can't they announce it?

Any of our acquisitions can not even be discussed with other company employees that are not part of the acquisition team, much less on a web site for external viewing.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Scorp,

I understand the situation, I'd be a bit ticked, myself.  C'est la vie, as the French say.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...