6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2012 3:59 PM by lone6star RSS

FYI***Credit Card Security

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

All:

Just want to bring to the forefront some key credit card information. It's worth watching the entire video.

IMPORTANT
Worth watching!
I read this about a couple weeks ago, and then checked my cards for the little "WiFi Signal Icon" on each one. I found none with that signal on them, but I was determined to watch for it when my cards came in on renewals.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: FYI***Credit Card Security
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Mmmm ... lone6star, I been worried about this for some time.  We have been getting most of our new cards (here in the UK) with the RFID chip included for quite a while.  Both credit and debit.  Getting a replacement card without the chip is not as easy as is implied in the clip.  We have been assured that no transactions for more than £20 can be processed using the 'contactless' system but that says nothing about cloning.  We do seem to be much tighter on using PINs to validate card purchases here, but I have noticed that a lot of stores/restaurants in the USA still use paper slips.  I am still trying to get all of my cards replaced ... I make all purchases below £20 in cash, so the technology is of no use to me but just adds risk.

It is interesting to note that the hotel keycard used in the video was a Marriott Elite card?!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

taxman415 Platinum

This is really frightening... Did anyone notice that room key was a Marriott card...

Yes, frightening isn't it!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Lone6star,

Thanks for the heads-up on the radio chips in credit and debit cards.  I was not aware of this.  I for one will request that the chips be left out of my cards when they come up for renewal. 

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

lone6:

Thanks for this info. With all the craziness going on with credit card theft, this now brings another opening for those folks who want to do bad things.

Who knows, who is luring and walking around with those devices?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...