18 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2015 10:21 AM by bejacob RSS

Google Flight Tool

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just recently discovered that Google has a handy flight tool for checking airfare from multiple airports (5 max) for both departing and arriving.  I used to spend a lot of time jumping around to various airline and travel websites trying to find the best deal.  Once you find a deal Google will then link you directly to the airlines website.  The only airline that doesn't appear to show up in the search that I've noticed is Southwest. 

http://www.google.com/flights

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Google Flight Tool
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

vaboywnder,

Great advice and information.  Had no idea you could do this.  Would have come in handy with my recent problems with United.  Had not flown them in years and now I know why.  Sadly, I have to take the same commuter flight on Thursday of this week.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Just took a peek at it and it looks pretty slick.  Very glad to know about this.  Thanks for posting.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Good info vaboywnder.  I also like to use travelocity to compare fares from various departure points, etc.  Unfortunately, it also doesn't list Southwest.

It looks like Southwest's flight schedule has been added to the Google Flight Tool.  The Southwest flights now appear in the search results without pricing.  Hopefully Southwest will eventually come around and share their pricing with Google and other travel websites.

sleepwalker Gold

Marriott also has a similar one. I saw it a few months ago while browsing and now I cannot find it again.  That's one of the reasons I join this insider - hoping someone else has seen it.  Thanks for the Google tool.

sleepwalker,

Welcome to Insiders! 

Google also has a hotel tool:  http://google.com/hotels

This tool helps you find the lowest hotel rates on 3rd party travel websites.  I used this recently to find a better rate on a hotel in Fairfax VA than what Marriott.com was offering.  After I found a better rate I filed a Look No Further Claim and get an even further discount.  Here is a link to that posting with more info:  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/15201

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Haven't looked at this as yet, sounds interesting.  My only question at this point is, are you allowed to earn frequent flyer points/segments/dollars spent when using this or is it like most other similar sites where the airline will not allow you to earn them?

IAHFLYR,

Yes you can earn the frequent flyer points because Google will link you directly to the airlines website.  The Google tool is searching the airline websites and not the 3rd party sites.  I use it all the time.  It's nice being able to search up to 5 departing and 5 arriving airports.  You can also restrict the search to specific airlines, non stop, specific hubs, spec travel times, etc.    Here is a an example screenshot where I searched 5 departing airports to LAX.

gft.JPG

dejamo Platinum

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Much more comprehensive tool,  plug in where you want to start from, and go (no limits on number of destinations (use 3 ltr airport codes),  plug in number of nights you want to stay, search a particular day, or search for a month period.  It will give you cheapest fares for each day on a calendar.   Choose the day you see the fare on, and it will show you  what airline and schedule.  Then you go to airline and book.

No extra fees for the service.

You can do some great mileage runs for peanuts.

dejamo,

Thanks for sharing the link.  I noticed the ITA Matrix software is also a Google product.  I found all of the same search features from the ITA Matrix software site were also available on the http://google.com/flights search tool.  However the ITA Matrix software did not have a map feature or the option of limiting your search to specific connecting airports (which is important to me at times when I want to avoid specific hubs)  like http://google.com/flights search tool does.

I noticed ITA Matrix does have an app called "OnTheFly" available for smartphones which looks pretty cool.  I am going to give that a try.

dejamo Platinum

Correctamundo................

OnTheFly is ok at best, but if all you have available is a smartphone.it will do the trick eventually...............

Enjoy

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I just got an e-mail from DealChicken that TravelZoo has nationwide RT flights on sale for $72 with tax for a limited time for anyone interested.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Would you mind forwarding it to me, please?

Thanks.

u must do it

rickpike Silver 3 Reviews

Thanks VABoyWnder -- living in the Washington DC area, I like having the ability to include all the regional airports in a search.  Some engines will let you do a region code (like WAS), some won't.  Kayak is my fallback for searching, but the Google Flights may become a new favorite.

-- Rick

Rick,

The WAS code also works with the Google Flight Tool.  If you don't mind the drive to Richmond (RIC) you may also want to include that in your search as well.  I've gotten some really good deals flying out of RIC.

Happy Travels!

ramoneur Platinum

thanks for the tip;

especially the [this alliance]-tool is great!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Over the last couple years the Google flight tool has become my favorite place to start when booking flights. Easy to check nearby airports and alternate dates. Once the research is done, I zip over to the website of the airline I want to fly and book the flight..

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...