26 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 12:43 PM by chrisf RSS

Houston for 24 hrs

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'll be in Houston for 24 hrs this week. Is there anything I must do in case I never get to Houston again?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Downtown Houston, Texas, USA
Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston
  • Re: Houston for 24 hrs
    randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Eat at Trulucks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

If you like bbq, The Goode Company Texas BBQ on Kirby is good.  My husband tries pecan pie all over the south and highly recommends it there.  The Goode Company also operates several other restaurants in the area, but we have never tried them.  We also like Pappasito's for Mexican food.  That company also has BBQ, seafood, and Greek food restaurants.

We enjoyed a visit to the Houston Space Center.  It is out of Houston proper, but not too far away.  When we visit, we are usually going to a ball game, so we really haven't done too much sightseeing.

Have a safe trip.

Thanks RBF.... I LOVE pecan pie!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PP,

Consider going to The Galleria, across the street from The JW on Westheimer.  It is a fabulous place to see, dine, shop and walk.

There is also much in the area to enjoy, just driving down Westheimer.

Location Brand Hotel
    Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston

Thanks JC... I enjoy people watching. This sounds like a nice place to sit and observe.

PP,

You may enjoy the diversity of the plaza.  There was a ice rink, plus a lot of entertaining aspects of the Galleria. 

Let us know how things turn out, no matter where you go and what you do in Houston.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

pained -- I'll be in Houston for a week late January, so let me know what you do and where you eat.  I'm staying at the Marriott by Galleria Mall based on recommendations from other Insiders.

nuhusker,

Double check and make sure you go to the right Galleria property.  Their is a JW (Formerly Intercontinental Hotel), and is most nice as is the Marriott/Houston West Loop, 1750 Loop South.

NU, there is so much to do and see in that area you will really enjoy your experience.  One thing to prepare yourself for is the traffic.  Worked out of San Felipe and 410 for years and I have never seen anything like the Houston traffic in that area.

Will do.

Well... I didn't get to my hotel till after 6PM, so was a bit rushed to get the night started right. II took Razorbackfan's advice and dined at Goode Company BBQ. It was great. Not fancy, sat outdoors at picnic tables. Very good BBQ brisket and spicy pork combo plate. I grabbed a slice of the pecan pie. It was also very good. I would have been happy with 3 bites, but I ate the whole thing!

PP,

That sounds like a great time!  Keep us informed of how the rest of the time goes.

Glad you enjoyed Goode Company BBQ.  We were surprised at how small, but busy it is.  Are your 24 hours in Houston up?

I'm also going to check out Goode's BBQ in January.  Looking forward to it.  I love good BBQ!

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

NH ... I just hate BBQs ... I just go to keep the wife company ...

Wow!  You might change your mind if you have Goodes in Houston.  Or Oklahoma Joe's in Olathe, KS.  Or Maurices in Columbia (and other locations), SC. 

I was only joking NH ... I'm the first one in the family to start BBQing ... given the weather in the UK, I am often BBQing in the rain. 

I always search out a BBQ restaurant when we are in the USA ... we found Bennett's in Gatlinburg, when we were there last year.  Unfortunately, I have never managed to time one of our trips to coincide with a major BBQ event ... all my US colleagues used to rave about them ... one even competed.

Sounds like a good place PP ... we will be passing through Houston for 1 night on our South States Roadtrip ... travelling on the I-10, so this looks a good place for dinner.  We are driving from San Antonio.  What did you think of the Marriott where you stayed?  I am tempted to follow Jerry's suggestion of the West Loop one or try the Courtyard close by Goode's place.

RazorB ... you should be getting a commission on the Goode Co BBQ recommendations, eh?!

Chris, we stayed at Marriott West Loop for 3 nights last June and had an exceptional stay.  I would highly recommend the hotel, too.  I was so glad PP enjoyed Goode's BBQ.  I had forgotten to mention they serve a jalapeno cheese bread with their meals.  I think that is also an option for their sandwiches.  My all-time favorite BBQ is Whole Hog BBQ with several locations in Arkansas.  They also have a location near the Super Dome in New Orleans.  The pulled pork (my favorite) at that location is good; however, the sides don't compare with those offered at the Arkansas locations.  Our favorite BBQ in New Orleans is found at Voodoo BBQ.  We prefer the St. Charles location.  They serve corn pudding as a side that is delicious.  I have tried several recipes, but can't quite duplicate the texture of theirs.

Ok, I'll go for the West Loop ... thanks ... if both you and Jerry recommend it, I can't go wrong!  We are in New Orleans for a full week so I shall try and get to that Voodoo BBQ ... the only problem with NO is that there are just sooo many great places to eat ... and ... it will be Jazz Fest for 3 days, so even more places to eat!  Another MRI has already recommended Bayona's (was that you? ... I lose track) ... it looks amazing, so that's a 'must do' too.

chrisf,

You really won't go wrong with that location.  That Galleria is pretty spectacular.  Nice stores from "Needless Markup" (NM), Saks, and many many more.  Fine dining and plenty of free parking.  You might check and see if the hotel offers a shuttle.  Watch the hotel rates, as they can change up/down all the time.  Since you will have a car, take a drive thru one of the wealthiest areas in The USA, "The River Oaks"area, close to the Galleria and Marriott.  You will see some of the finest homes in The South, or anywhere.

I'll see if we have time to check out the River Oaks ... are they historic homes?

Chrisf,

Let me know when you are going to be in Houston and where.  I would rather come to the great city of Houston and see you than most other places in the US.

There is just something about Texas that I admire.

By the way, I always visit the Texas Embassy in London, when I visit London.

IMG_0245.JPG

Jerry,  I have just about finished our Southern States schedule ... looks like we will be in Houston on 22 April 2013.  We are driving in from San Antonio, which looks about 3.5hrs away?  I'll put the schedule up on my Roadtrip posting soon.  I was waiting on the date/time for our flight from Auckland into LAX ... the logistics of the New Zealand stage were proving challenging.

I haven't been to the Texas Embassy for some time ... I must give it a try again.  I love Tex-Mex food ... we used to go to Cafe Pacifico in Covent Garden but it became a bit too noisy and busy.

chrisf,

Have bookmarked April 22 to be in Houston.  I hope you saw my note to you about getting the GPS on your rental car?  It was posted in Rental Car Tips.

The Texas Embassy is sort of fun, but the location really makes it worthwhile, I don't think Gordon Ramsey would recommend it!

That's great Jerry ... we are looking forward to it.  As suggested, we've booked into the Marriott West Loop by the Galleria.  Yes, I spotted the GPS suggestion ... for once, we are ahead of the game and have our own that we take everywhere. 

When I was working on a government contract in London, I used the Texas Embassy quite a bit.  There is a very low limit that one can spend on entertaining government employees in the UK and we could just come in under that limit at the TE and the team loved it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...