37 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2012 5:01 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Niagara Falls, in "The Fall"!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Wow,

Many thanks to MI for recommending such a special place to stay.  I think if was Razorback who first interested me in coming back to NF and staying, for the first time on the Canadian side of the falls.  This place is very special.  Thank-you MI, for the recommendations at NF.

IMG_2562.JPG

A view from my room.  I enjoy the fireplace in 2324, had a wonderful room service dinner, cajun trout (first time) and the CL is just down the hall.

IMG_2563.JPG

Another great shot from the room!

IMG_2568.JPG

Note that beautiful rainbow above Niagara Falls!

IMG_2576.JPG

That's Niagara Falls at night, and Horseshoe to the left, this is the last night of a lit Falls.  Am going to enjoy this till Midnight tonight.

Hope to have more "Fall pictures from the area this week"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Niagara Falls, Canada
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa
Buffalo, New York, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Buffalo Amherst
Buffalo, New York, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Buffalo Airport
  • Re: Niagara Falls, in "The Fall"!
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Great pictures.  Reminds me of my stay.  You mention the last night of lit falls.  Do they stop for the winter?  Did you have fireworks?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian,

The lights are still on, they are going to stop them after tonight.  I hope they have fireworks, but will let you know.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

JC,

Great pics!

Thanx for posting so we can all vicariously enjoy your exciting trip!

GemPrincess,

Thanks, there was no fireworks tonight, but the view was wonderful.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jerry,

What a neat place and I love the view from your window.  We will have to got there in the future as well.  Are the lights going off forever, or is it just an annual fall thing? 

tryt153,

They turn the lights out for the Season.  Was lucky to see the last light show of the year on Sept. 30th.  It was pretty spectacular, and I didn't know they restricted the flow of the water over the falls.  They report instead of loosing 3 feet of rock each year, they are now only loosing one inch. 

This is quite a tourist area and prices are pretty steep.  Will still have a good time and hope to have some photo's to share with all in the next few days.

(No fireworks last night)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Jerry, I am so glad you are enjoying Niagara Falls.  I sat at our window for hours.   One of the hostesses in the CL had pictures of the falls in the winter.  I think you would enjoy seeing them.  I can't believe it has been almost a year since we were there.  Have fun!

rajorbackfan,

The CL is compact and professionally ran by Kathy.  It has a wonderful view and I enjoyed your recommendation and reviewed her picture book.  She says "Hello" and "Get Well Soon"!

IMG_2579.JPG

Very helpful, very professional, and full of great recommendations on what to see and enjoy, Thank-you Kathy!

IMG_2578.JPG

CL has a fabulous view of the falls and Lake.  The sun was so bright you can't see out the window, but it is spectacular.  Will try to get another photo later in the day.

By the way, a special thanks to you razorbackfan, it was your posts and information that inspired me to come back to The Niagara Falls area.

Location Brand Hotel
      Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa

When I was there, I would sit by the window and enjoy the view.  Thanks for the reminder of a good time.

They had fireworks a few days a week during the summer.  I had to plan my stay to be there when they had them.  Sorry that you missed seeing them.  It was nice.

californian,

Yes, it is very "Riveting" to literally sit by the window and enjoy the scenery.  Last night, ordered room service and sat by the fireplace and enjoyed a wonderful  "Cajun Trout", had a glass and gave a salute to "Razorbackfan" for the recommendation to give Fallsview a try.  Had been to the area a number of times, but have really enjoyed this trip.

Hope to have a few more pictures as I will tour Niagara on the Lake tomorrow.

Jerry,

I had been there many times in the past and this was the first time that I opened the wallet and stayed at a nice place with a falls view.  It really does make a difference and was worth what I paid.  The CL was very comfortable and that made a difference too.

Yes.  Everything was expensive with the VAT tax, everything is costly.

I suspect the currency exchange from Can$$$ to US$$$ is not helping the pricing any.

Use to be that we rarely thought about pricing in Canada due to the great exchange rate we use to have.

Now its gone in the opposite direction.

So true!  The same for Australia and other countries.

This is why I have used cruise ships more and more.  Am paying in US dollars and they have US pricing.

Everything else I am paying so much more for when I leave the country due to the devaluatio of the USD.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

You are most welcome.  I really think that the ability to review Marriott properties and to recommend activities, dining, etc. in the area are the best features of Marriott Insiders.  Your pictures bring back wonderful memories.

I agree with you about reviewing Marriott properties.  I put more faith in what an Insider sayd about a property than other sites.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Jerrycoin -- I've never been to Niagara Falls, but your report and razorbackfan's have increased my desire to do so.  Thanks.

nu,

How about we talk about it over dinner in Burlington.  Would enjoy having the Ms. and you as my guest on either Tu or Wed 10/16 or 17.  Will be at the FF and want to bring you up to date on upcoming travel plans.  Will be working till 5 PM, but we could go to one of those nice places down by the bridge.

Will have more for you later!  Going sightseeing and playing tourist this afternoon!

nuhusker,

There is really a lot to do here.  Here are a few pictures that show the diversity of the area very soon.

curiousone Platinum

I am looking forward to visiting the Marriott Niagra Falls in the next few years. I will definitely use the Marriott cheques to pay for the hotel stay. I will make it a business trip since I deal with a manufacturer in Buffalo, NY. I am still in the middle of a self imposed "no fly" restriction to try to save money.

curiosone,

You will be in for a great time.  Some planning will really make your trip very special.  Many of us MI will be glad to share ideas and recommendations with you prior to the trip.  Hope to share more pictures with you shortly:

Did you buy the Marriott checks or use points?  I remember another post recommending this.

GemPrincess,

I used neither this trip, I am saving points for London, but am concerned because the point "Price" has really shot up for next year.  I am really looking at a lot of "Choices" on international travel. 

When one see's the prices here in Niagara Falls, with VAT and all, thank's for a CL.  However, here a glass of vino is $15 each/ouch!

sg1974 Gold

JC,

Great photos, brings back some nice memories.

Look forward to seeing more of your photos!

SG

Most "Tourist Traps" are just that, but I was most surprised and impressed with a unique place a few blocks away from The Marriott.  The Skylon Tower, had an "Early Bird Dinner", at $35 pp, it was a 3 course most memorable meal.  Salad, Steak and dessert served by professional, well dressed, multi-lingual staff.  If you eat later, the prices practically double.  It is a revolving restaurant, that completes a revolution in one hour.  The scenery was magnificent, and worth one visit.  It sits 775 feet above the falls, and is open year round.  They also have a non-revolving buffet which is also $35.

(Will add photo's as soon as I can upload them)

If you don't mind crossing the bridge back to the US

On the US side is the Anchor Bar & Grill which is historic (originators of Buffalo Wings) and reasonably priced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_Bar

http://www.anchorbar.com/

Spent the better part of the year on the US side on a merger, and the whole team would go there about once a week as it was a favorite for many of us.

Location Brand Hotel
      Buffalo, New York, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Buffalo Amherst
      Buffalo, New York, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Buffalo Airport

GemPrincess,

I won't make it to have some wings this trip, but appreciate the tip, and hope that others will enjoy.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I ALWAYS hit the Anchor Bar at the Buffalo Airport.  LOL

The locals in Buffalo tell me that Duff's has the best wings.  I'm going to give it a try the next time I'm there.

jerrycoin, thanks for the pictures of the Falls.  It's the exact same view I had when I stayed there.  Fabulous hotel.  And the Skylon Tower meal is definitely a good choice.  Thanks for the memories. 

missgee,

Thanks for the input and sharing your experiences.

I hope I can share with you more pictures and experiences, but I can't get my photo's to cooperate wright now.

Please keep your comments and suggestions coming as all of us appreciate others travel advice.

dispite all the trips to buffalo, have never been in the airport.  They sent us back and forth in the company jet, and the company being merged had an airstrip that security would pick us up at. so I missed out on all my frequent flyer mileage, exploring the airport etc.

I will say thought that when the Office filmed the wedding scene at Niagra falls, the Anchor Inn was also there favorite place and spent many a night there.

This is a great place to visit!

IMG_2603.JPG

haven't been in years, but your pictures are making me want to go back.  We spent many summer holidays there growing up, as teenagers, in college, and also during the merger efforts. But once I started flying commercial air for work, stopped driving through Niagara Falls to the East Coast.

GemPrincess,

Went to the IMAX, and it was really interesting.  The history of Niagara Falls, very special.

IMG_2588.JPG

Enjoy the pictures about Niagara on the Lake.

It is less than 30 minutes from Niagara Falls and is very special.

One other item that turned out to be very enjoyable at Niagara Falls was the IMAX.  I really never get to go to movies, but the IMAX was showing "The History of Niagara Falls", and it was 45 minutes of pure entertainment.

One tip, you can save some money on the tickets by visiting a "Visitor center" as shown in this group of pictures.  By the way, when you see what some people have gone over the falls in, it makes you wonder.  Very interesting experience at the IMAX and the museum that adjoins it.

IMG_2635.JPG

This visitor center is on Stanley Avenue, and they are most helpful with local information, reservations and tickets.

IMG_2636.jpg

This is famous local place to dine, especially for breakfast.  You will want to bring your "Lumberjack" appetite!

IMG_2637.JPG

Unique place to dine!

IMG_2638.JPG

IMAX entrance!

IMG_2639.jpg

Interesting museum!

IMG_2640.JPG

Wonderful lobby of The FallsView Marriott.  Note the windows overlook the falls, quite a set-up!

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Ohmygosh, the flying saucer restaurant!  I had completely forgotten about that!!

missgee,

It's a worthwhile experience going to The Flying Saucer.  I couldn't remember at first where is was located and the Tourist Guide really enjoyed me asking about the place.  It is popular with locals for meals and is something different.

If you go, just make sure you bring your appetite!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...