3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2012 7:12 AM by taxman415 RSS

Tips on getting a forgotten cancellation off your bill?

evilhomer Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just curious if anyone else has run into this. I'm a platinum who travels about 100 nights a year for work. As occasionally happens, you book a room for a trip you do not make. I'm usually good about cancelling them, but in this particular case (Courtyard Upper East Side, New York), I forgot. Imagine my glee when I saw a $301 charge on my credit card. When I've encountered this situation in the past, one appropriately contrite call to the hotel results in the charge being removed.

Not this time. The assistant manager was inflexible, which on one hand I understood, since I likely cost them a reservation at an otherwise full hotel. Then again, I've stayed at this property probably 20 times over the years, and I am platinum, and I did ask very nicely.

I've already had issues at this hotel (I checked out one day early at 2:45 p.m. last month to move to the JFK Fairfield Inn -- a Marriott property! -- and was charged for the full night at the Courtyard, which I thought was a ridiculous way to treat a loyal customer, and which I fought vehemently until the charge was removed, but not before about five different phone calls, and more than a little aggravation .... OK, end of parenthetical run-on sentence), so I'm not sure how far to push this or if I even have a case.

What do you all think? I've never had another hotel refuse to remove the charge before.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Tips on getting a forgotten cancellation off your bill?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

evilhomer,

You may have a difficult time getting the hotel to remove the charge since that property is a popular destination and they could have probably sold the room to another customer.  I would try again but this time with the General Manager of the hotel.  If that doesn't work you could always try contacting your credit card company and try to dispute the charge.

Good Luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I agree, call the hotel manager directly.  I had it happen to me once when I reserved a room for a business colleague, and he didn't show.  No problems whatsoever removing the charge.

taxman415 Platinum

FYI... A spoonful of honey will catch more flies than a gallon of vinegar.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...