46 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 2:29 AM by jerrycoin Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

My Favorite Places for Breakfast are.....?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

GemPrincess,

This topic would make a whole new discussion.  You bring up a good subject on great breakfast places.  Here are a few great ones anytime of the year.

Houston, down Westheimer from The JW is "Mama's", a relaxing Texas original that has great breakfasts.

Stowe, Vt, "Top Notch" has wonderful "Green Mountain" pancakes and sausage.

Littleton, NH, "The Littleton Diner" will make you feel you are back in the 50's with its laid back comfort food.

Paris, France, The C-E serves up the finest Eggs Benedict I have ever had, and I am not an E/B fan!  That's a great way to start the day, and it's comped!

IMG_0535.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Burlington, Vermont, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Burlington Harbor
Houston, Texas, USA
Concord, New Hampshire, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn Concord
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
Quincy, Massachusetts, USA
Quincy, Massachusetts, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Boston Marriott Quincy
Braintree, Massachusetts, USA
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn New Orleans Downtown
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New Orleans Marriott
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites New Orleans Downtown
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA The Ritz-Carlton Residence Inn New Rochelle
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New Orleans Pere Marquette Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New Orleans Pere Marquette Hotel
Hollywood, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Omaha Marriott
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada Courtyard By Marriott Pik Palace, Shahdag, Autograph Collection
London, Ontario, Canada
London, Ontario, Canada Residence Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Delray Beach
  • Re: Fall Foliage Plans?
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

JC,

I almost starting putting links into the post, but need to do a little more digging on this one. The best ones I can remember don't seem to have a web presence, so I may need to extract it from travel websites like TripAdvisor.

Will start a thread on this.

Also, I have kind of been thinking about how we might go about doing a location based web threads. For instance the leaf peeping would be great by location.  The list was overwhelming when all together but if broken out by location would be more useful.  And to really make it useful, it would be great to have folks post back with their experiences and pictures.

Same is true of starting the breakfast thread.

Anyone with some ideas on how we can improve on what we have been doing.

Maybe some clever ways to make use of new features that we haven't considered??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GemPrincess,

Nice work, hope Pluto will have some "Idaho" revelations as NU, and others with "Hog wild" great breakfasts!

I am really not a "Big breakfast" type of guy, but when you really get "Blown away" by some wonderful food while traveling, it makes a great start for the day.

GemPrincess,

You have undertaken a lot of work.

Good luck, I wish I could do more, along the way of "Technical" things, but I am just to limited.  Last night was the first time I have ever used a GPS in a rental car, and it really helped me a lot.

Hope we can get some other MI to add to the the discussions.

JC,

Just daydreaming and playing on a rainy Friday afternoon!

Probably should do this on Tue or Wed when the weekly airfare specials are posted, and then match it up to my Cat 1-4 certificate availability.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Rainy?  I WISH!  It is still in the high 90's here.  The thermometer hasn't dropped below 90 during the day in over 4 months, and rarely dropped below 95 (today is a blessed exception - only 92!)  Almost 40 days over 100 here.  The forecast for October 1st is 103!  Waaaaaaah! It's going to be HOT in Sequoia National Park tomorrow.  At least there will be shade.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

The Ghent Marriott without question.  They don't have a CL so you get breakfast in their restaurant and it's fabulous.

What do they serve in the restaurant?

What is your favorite?

Want to trade?

We are chilly and rainy now

Headed to cold and snowy soon!

• Re: My Favorite Places for Breakfast are.....?

JC,

Hope you don't mind, but I tried out the 'branch' feature on this discussion.

GemPrincess,

No problem at all.  I will share with you a problem, flying a United Commuter (First time on United in years) to Cleveland.  This was a "Step back" in time, or the way traveling may become in the future.

Please keep up the fine posts as well as the wonderful information.

JC

NP!

One good branch deserves another!

(did the same to you on the breakfast post )

Kinda of wish we had options when branching

• move the entire post when it doesn't pertain to the initial discussion at all
      • copy the post (or any post) to another thread where it is relevant to others

With both of these options we could 'cleanup' the threads, and get them logically ordered so we can better find things.

Could also create a network of travel info, e.g. the new orleans breakfasts could appear under both the destination of New Orleans, and the topics of breakfasts.  We might even want to have another that talks about restaurants.

Or even better would be to have links, so the comments are made and stored in one place and can be linked to any applicable threads.

Looking at drbarbra's pictures

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1320

reminded me of one of my favorite diners, Stars in Hingham Harbour which is just down the road.

http://www.starshingham.com/openmenu/breakfast-menu/

I posted the breakfast menu as this is the theme of this thread, but they also have wonderful lunch and dinner, reasonablely priced by east coast standards.

Location Brand Hotel
    Quincy, Massachusetts, USA
    Quincy, Massachusetts, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Boston Marriott Quincy
    Braintree, Massachusetts, USA

GemPrincess, and a special welcome to drbarbra's beautiful boating picture and menu!  She reminds me of another famous place that I just loved their hot cakes.  It is across the street from The Renaissance in Hollywood, "Mel's Diner", now that is another place that is fun and memorable to visit.

Hope she has some pictures, or someone does, would love to see some.

Location Brand Hotel
      Hollywood, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Omaha Marriott

Or how about razorbackfan's picture of Cafe du Monde in New Orleans.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1223

Or mikegu's pictures

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1317#comment-10569

Just love those beignets

http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignets

with chicory flavored cafe au lait

http://www.cafedumonde.com/coffee

holding myself back from booking flites and hotel right now for tomorrow's breakfast

Nothing is ever simple or common place in New Orleans, but then there is the truly upscale Sunday brunches like Antonines Jazz Brunch with Oyster's Rockefeller that was created by Antonines.  When you order them, you get a number showing how many orders have been made since they were created, including yours. No scrap book or photo album is complete with out this

http://www.antoines.com/menus_sunday.html

see @happy 's pictures of a special birthday cake by Antonines

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1183

Location Brand Hotel
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn New Orleans Downtown
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New Orleans Marriott
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites New Orleans Downtown
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA The Ritz-Carlton Residence Inn New Rochelle
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott New Orleans
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel

GemPrincess,

Great one!

I can taste that "Heavy coffee" and Beignet's right now!

Location Brand Hotel
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

My favorite place for breakfast, and lunch and supper too for that matter, was Paschals in the Atlanta airport "A" terminal.  It closed recently when the contract, like many others in that airport, was not renewed...lots of new eating establishments are opening at ATL as a result.  Paschals had the best smoked sausage, grits, and corned beef hash, and some of the best sweet tea in GA!  It was basic American breakfast, just like I like it..and I could pronounce everything on the menu.  Great place!  RIP.

My very most favorite breakfast is at the Marriott C-E.  They have a perfectly lovely and varied spread, including an omelet chef.  There is so much to choose from, but I like to keep it light while traveling.  A slice of fresh French bread and some Fromage, along with a hard boiled egg, coffee and juice, and I am good! to! go!  But if one wants to splurge, the sky's the limit there (to wit, Jerry's gorgeous Eggs Benedict).  The dining room is very pleasant, as is the courtyard patio, and the staff is phenomenal.  Last visit, my brother-in-law, a CEO of a worldwide coffee company, chatted up one of the restaurant staff, a lovely young lady who's name escapes me, and he lamented to her that for all the coffee drinking that the Parisiens do, a person can't get a decent cup of coffee in this city to save their life.  She told him (us), there is one place you have to try... and she went on about how this place picks their beans, roasts their beans, grinds their beans and brews and presses their beans, and said we just had to go there.  She found the address for us, and well, guess where we ended up that day?

And so there we found ourselves, for about two hours, while the brother talked business with the proprietor.  But we met some fascinating folks as well (I'll never forget Aldo), drank some very good coffee and it was all good.  Here's a photo of the little place on the Quai right around Pont Marie just across from Île Saint-Louis.  It looks like a little nothing of a place, but it is a real hidden treasure, hidden in plain sight as they say, in the heart of Paris.  If I can find the rest of my photos, I'll post a pic of the inside.

cafe soluna.png

So in 2nd place would have to be the restaurant in the Monterey, CA Marriott.  The buffet was fantastic, the omelet chefs are very talented, the room decor really lovely, and the chairs magnificent.  Our server was one of the most delightful, friendly and consummate service professional's I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

Finally, The Grand Flora hotel in Rome, and not so much for the food, but for the rooftop terrace and the magnificent view (and the professional staff).  One thing I thought was a bit quirky, they had a metal service bucket stocked with ice and little bottles of coke and diet coke.  For breakfast!

I have to add one more.  The Courtyard in Meridian/Boise West has a fantastic breakfast restaurant area.  Great food, great room, great staff, and great tables and very comfy chairs!

Pluto,

You have great taste!

That C-E is so special.  It is not really that large, but it is such a special place to dine as you start the day.  Their patio would also be a lovely place to dine, but I have yet to enjoy the relaxing looking patio.

Could this waitress be the lady who served you at The C-E?  I think her name is Marie, and she was so special on each of our stays.

IMG_1093.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

le restaurant in The C-E is a very special place for breakfast.  You can ask, and get just about anything you can imagine!

Jerry, that's the place!  No not large in size, but perfect nonetheless.  We breakfasted at one of the tables on the top tier (two steps up, I believe) every morning.  It was so lovely to start our day with conversation about what we had previously done, what we would do that day, and just generally catching up with one another, while feeling so welcome and comfortable, thanks to the lovely staff.  Marie was not our gal, but she looks like a real cutie who enjoys spreading warmth and good cheer!

pluto,

Yes, it is a pretty relaxing and intimate place for breakfast everyday.  I really enjoyed all of the staff and it is hard to imagine three, or more great Marriott properties (La Defense, Ren AdT, and C-E) so near each other.  Here are a couple more photo's of C-E:

IMG_1044.JPG

Looking toward the Marriott from across the street at The Alsatian Rest.

IMG_1094.JPG

Fabrice, was just one of the many fine members of the staff at The C-E.

IMG_0520.JPG

The Courtyard and Patio at The C-E, wonderful place to relax.

Nice shots, all very special.  I am really looking forward to making some special Marriott memories in London (2014).

Pluto,

Thanx for sharing!

Can't wait to try your recommendations!

GemPrincess,

Am at the recommended Marriott by other MI in Niagara Falls, and it is very spectacular.  Will try to post some pictures soon.

Thanks to the various MI who recommended such a special place.

JC,

Perfect time for the trip!

Have never been in the fall, only the summer (crowded with tourists) and winter (have actually seen the falls freeze over)

but never in the change of colors.

Should be spectacular

GemPrincess,

This is the last night they have the lights on the falls for the year.  Crowds are large and they have put me in a very special room.  I just want to thank all the MI for the recommendations for the Fallsview Marriott.  This is a very special hotel.  Will have some pictures soon.

JC,

You do know how to live!

GemPrincess,

All I know is "This is the only life I have, it is not a dress rehearsal", and I truly enjoy the wonderful MI I have personally met, but the ones that have contributed to my happiness.

Next week, I hope to go to Burlington, Iowa (Not a hot spot for world travel), but I am sure I will have a great time with wonderful people.  This week, I am going to enjoy Canada, and go to Niagara on the Lake, where I have never been before.

Your posts are very informative, and please keep them coming!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Niagara_024.jpg

Niagara_034.jpg

Two fall foliage shots from the Niagara Falls area (top) and the Grand Canyon of the East area.  Yes, it was beautiful; however, we were told it was not a good year to go leaf peeping.

If you're ever in California's Central Valley, try Pluto's.  Best breakfast you'll ever have!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Here's my three favorite breakfast spots from three different parts of the world:

1) The Beachcomber Cafe....right on the water at Crystal Cove just down from Newport Coast Villas. Delicious...get there early or you'll be waitin for hours.....

2) LADURRE....just across from the Marriott on the Champs-Elysees in Paris. Known for their macaroons but do not pass up the actual breakfasts, they are out of this world with flavor.....but bring your wallet.

3) The Golden Spoon.....Hopkinton, MA at the start of the Boston Marathon and just off Rte 495. The best breakfast anywhere around with full plates and a small price....but get there early on the weekend...or you'll be in a line around the building. I'm biased here because my wife and I owned it until we gave it to the employees when we came south after I retired from my 'real' job.

tef,

You nailed it with Lauderee, does this look good!

IMG_1046.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

I wish that I had signed off early ... it's 11pm here and a long time till breakfast!  We have had many amazing breakfasts in beautiful locations but, for me, Cafe du Monde has the edge ... I am only thinking coffee and beignets but with such an amazing atmosphere, where else could beat it!?!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

The Hawaiian Cafe in Waimea, Hawaii (on the Big Island).

HawaiiEWP_4904_13254EWP_4904.jpg

This cafe is a reasonable distance from the Waikoloa Beach Hotel.  It was well worth the drive.

taxman415 Platinum

We love Grampa's Bakery and Restaurant in Dania, FL... The Breakfast starts with complementary cinnamon filled fresh pastries... Yum Yum... Enjoy...

Photos for Grampa's Bakery & Restaurant | Yelp

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...