17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 11:14 AM by ksolsberg RSS

Question on Bonus Night Calculation from Using Marriott VISA Credit Card?

iamzeke610 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have a question regarding the calculation of "bonus nights" when using the Marriott VISA credit card.  The rules state for each $3000 charged on the card, the member receives 1 bonus night.  Let's assume I charge/spend $7000 on my Marriott VISA credit card during the month and pay off my bill in full.  I would receive 2 bonus nights...BUT what happens to the excess $1000 that was charged to the card?   Does it "roll-over" into the next month or do I lose credit for those expenditures?    I called Marriott in Salt Lake City and the representative could not answer my question.  Does anyone else know if the excess spend beyond what's needed for "x" number of nights is rolled over from month-to-month?   I'm getting close to Platinum by charging about everything on the credit card each month.  Hopefully the Community Manager will read this and respond as I'm sure other Golds trying to seek Platinum may be in the same predicament.  Thanks in advance for your help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Question on Bonus Night Calculation from Using Marriott VISA Credit Card?
    taxman415 Platinum

Based upon my past experience it appears that they roll the excess from month to month... There was a month where I had $7.5k of charges and $2.0k the next month and I received two bonus nights one month and then received one night the next period when I had purchased less than $3k... Hope this helps...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

designdeva Platinum 3 Reviews

A bit off this topic Taxman but I know you pay close attention to these matters.  Can you please tell me when I can expect spending on my Chase card to show up as bonus nights in my account.  Have spent a considerable amount over the last two months and have seen no additional nights posted to my account.  Thanks for any information.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

DD,

Good question. Not sure on when the nights get credited, but I've tracked the points and they show up each month after the statement closes. Mine show up on the 6th of every month, without fail.

taxman415 Platinum

My credit card statement closes on the 5th of the month and the bonus points usually post two days later and the elite nights bonus credit post on the 12th... The only exception was the first month I had the card where everything was delayed by about two weeks... Hope this helps...

tmrail Gold

This discussion highlights an issue that I have wondered about for a long time.  The timeliness of Marriott Rewards' posting of the bonus nights for each $3000 spent on the card is a very murky area.

Here's my current situation:  My Rewards status is Gold Elite.  The Rewards site tells me that I have "2 Nights Needed to Renew Level" (i.e., I currently have a total of 48 nights this year from stays, VISA spend, etc.)

The points from my most recent monthly cycle (when I had well over $3000 in spending on the card) posted this morning, but I don't see any change in the number of Rewards Credit Card nights listed.  So, how current is this information?  There seems to be no way to tell.  The card's Terms and Conditions say, "Please allow 6-8 weeks for Elite nights to be credited to your Marriott Rewards account from the last day of each calendar month you qualify"

Now, I am left wondering whether I need to spend, say, another $6000 on the card before the end of the year (assuming I don't have any qualifying stays) in order to reach the 50 nights needed to renew my Gold status, or if the nights from my most recent billing period will post sometime over the next 6 to 8 weeks.

Someone with Marriott Rewards or Chase surely knows the answer to this question, so it would be helpful if they would provide some insight on this topic.

ksolsberg Gold

When I go online and check Account Activity it has the total number of bonus nights on the left, then for the monthly statement below, it only lists points for activities.

Is there a way to see bonus nights added in the monthly statement? Or, just keep checking the acrued total for the year?

I too am 2 nights away, I have a Visa bill of $5920 due in December...curious if I will reach the 50 pts.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

It is a rolling tally. Whenever a $3000 threshhold has been reached another night is credited. There appears to be different ways the nights are credited. Sometimes they show up after the statement period closes, but usually they appear after the bill has been paid. It can be difficult to spend this amount of time figuring whether or not the nights credited for the spending are correct, so, when I get towards the end of the year I stop using the card and let a month of inactivity occur. That way, I can easily track my purchases (because they send a year end statement for the entire year) for a year and make sure the nights credited are correct.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...