10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 12:04 AM by eb5147 RSS

megabonus mystery in the arctic

deepfreeze Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Why is it you stay at a cat 5 hotel and only get a cat 4 verticate on megabonuses? My cert is expiring cause there are only cat 5 hotels in anchorage. nearest cat 4 is 400 miles away. I asked this question in the comments section of the internet site and got blown off. seems like the rewards are getting less and the rooms more. Since when does a fairfield deserve cat 5. I should think there is a scheme going on

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: megabonus mystery in the arctic
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I think you have a valid point.  Marriott keeps raising the categories of the hotels, inflates them,  but keeps giving us the same certificates which makes them worth less.  The same case for using rewards points.  This has come up before.

If a person is a member of a HMO and they are in an area that doesn't have a clinic, often there are exceptions where one can get treated elsewhere.  Most us us don't want to incur expense in using a free night.  If we are making plans for a trip and can fit in, good, but if not we like to use it close to home.  Maybe Marriott should make an exception when there is not a cat 4 hotel within a certain radius of where we live.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Deepfreeze,

Perhaps you can try and calling Marriott customer support and ask if it would be possible for you to change your megabonus promotion from earning free night certs to earning reward points for stays.  It sounds like earning points over certificates would better suite your needs.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I have talked to the Platinum Line on several occassions and was unable to get them to budge on this one.

I think it may be the only outstanding request ever made and not resolved by Platinum Support

taxman415 Platinum

Keep trying... There have been several discussions about this and the prevailing theme is that it appears to be up to person that answers the phone... I like many other had to make a few calls before we got our promo changed... Hope this helps...

Taxman,

Not referring tot he changing the promo.

Referring to once you have the Cat 1-4 certificate in hand and try to use it.

No one has budged in letting us use it in a Cat 5 property.  I have treid serveral times, and the answer consistenetly is no. Not even if I pay extra.

Nor have I heard anyone else say they have been able to use a Cat 1-4 certificate in anything higher

I completely agree!

Cat Certificates should some how be related to the category of property they were earned in.

Its not only fair and equitable to Marriott and customers, but will fit into the property stay patterns of the customer and hence be useful.

I am working hard to figure out how to use mine

erc Platinum

Deepfreeze

I have stayed at both and you are right, the Anchorage Fairfield should not be a higher category than the Fairbanks Springhill, (which means they'll probably raise the Springhill !) but what we have often found in dealing with corp policy in Bethesda is that being right is overrated. Essentially Marriott is telling you tough luck, drive the 400 miles (no luck with the Iditarod) and enjoy your stay, fly elsewhere that you don't want to be, or watch that certificate slowly expire right in front of your eyes.

I feel much more empathetic to you than to others (who have valid points about earning cat. certificates similar to their spending) of us who are in the 48 contiguous states. Gather up the Honolulu (who can at least fly to Maui) rewards players and raise a stink

The one thing that others have reported is that they have been able to get the certificate expiration extended.

I didn't bother with mine, as I had no idea how I would use them.

I now have 3 from the summer and 2 from the fall promotion, but only 1 trip where I can actually use one.  I will say that the platinum line did a great job of making sure I got the suite upgrade on it though.  I did not get this using points.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I agree!  Here in Honolulu, our last Cat 4 property on the island (CY Waikiki Beach) was upgraded to a Cat 5... I don't understand why either, as the hotel is very noisy and has some serious climate control issues!  So MegaBonus certificates are now completely useless to me unless I fly to Kauai or the mainland...  It would be nice if we could use said certificate on island... would be an even better gesture if Marriott were to give Hawaii residents (and Alaska residents) a discount on rewards redemptions

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Do you think that the hotel might be able to make some arrangements since they would be the ones more likely to know the situation and they would know what hotels you'd probably stayed at to earn them?  It might be a long shot, but at least it's worth a shot.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...