22 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2012 4:22 PM by nalced1 RSS

Will Marriott invent me to drive towards Platinum

cosmiccatnip Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have been platinum for three years now but it looks like I will end up with around 68 days 7 short of plat

Question is? Will Marriott allow me to slip back to gold or push me towards Platinum via some incentive

Next year I will be back to usual travel and will easily attain platinum

Thoughts/experiences

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Will Marriott invent me to drive towards Platinum
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

comiccatnip,

Marriott has showed much desire to help people maintain there status.  Discuss this with the "Hot line" and members rewards.  Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Cosmic....

Does the 68 night total include any rollover nights from last year? If not, remember any nights that rolled over will be counted toward your platinum status.  Either way, good luck.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

cosmiccatnip,

Jerrycoin is correct.  Marriott Rewards will work with you to help you maintain your platinum status.  I suspect that with you having over 60 plus nights on your account for the year that you will automatically get renewed without taking any further action.  If not I would then contact Marriott Rewards and ask what options are available to get you back to platinum status.  In the past they have offered some members a platinum challenge (eg. stay 20 nights in certain time period) or use some of your points to get back to platinum status.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Do you have the Marriott credit card?  If not, if you get one, you will get 15 nights and be there with some to spare.

traveler2 Platinum

I agree with all the above. In the past they have offered a buy back program as well. I believe the option was to buy back your level with points. Contact Marriott rewards and ask what the options are. Californian also had a good idea!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Here's the Marriott plan offered for those who fell short at the end of last year.....

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/blogs/news-promotions/2012/01/30/regain-your-elite-status-for-2012-with-points-elite-buy-back-returns

Hope this helps.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I just talked to the Marriott Platinum customer service, and based on my previous record of stays, they said they were putting a note that if I fall just a couple of days short of Platinum this year, they will still honor my Platinum status next year.  I would give them a call and talk to them.  If you call before you get short, they might give you a little incentive to stay a couple of more nights and then give the status to you, and not have to go through the process of possibly buying back your level next year.  Calling them usually seems to help your situation.

This is nice to hear.  I have a friend who lost his gold status and is planning a trip to Copenhagen and really wanted the breakfast and free Wifi.  He called and was told that if he checked back closed to the travel date, they could give him gold status for the duration of his trip.

He might even want to check out the "taste of Platinum" if he's going for a special trip and especially if he is going to pay for those nights.  You can direct message me if you want more specifics.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

What is Taste of Platinum?

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Missgee

'taste of platinum'  is an opportunity for someone who is not platinum to get a 'conditional' platinum designation that can become permanent if you can hit the requirements put forth.  I cannot quote the exact requirements, but in a nutshell, Marriott will give you a specific amount of time (maybe 2 months) to stay a specific number of nights to achieve platinum.  Think of it as a 'fast-track' opportunity to reach that level.  You should contact Marriott for further information.

good luck

Shoeman

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Thanks Shoeman.  I've been platinum for a few years now.  I was just wondering what "Taste of" was.

This type of program makes sense.  When one obtains status, it is hard to go elsewhere where you are a no one.  These people are the ones that are wanted.  Most don't travel enough to maintain status with more than one.  To lure people over, they are given status and then just have to maintain to stay there.  If people are not happy where they have status or just feel that they would be happier elsewhere, they go.

Shoeman had it right.  I think the Taste of Gold used to only take around 6 nights or so to make it, and Taste of Platinum took 20 or 25 nights to make.  Then you kept the status for a full year after the year you made it.  That gave you a whole year to see if you could maintain the 75 nights to keep it for the future.  It does entice people to stay a little more than they might have normally stayed during that 3 month challenge, and might entice them to not go to other chains as much once they made it.  Although, as we have seen talked about here, once you get Platinum, many other chains will match you for at least a year.  I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (in Walla Walla) where there was no Marriott, and although I very frequently uses that chain, they had done a Platinum match, so I was upgraded to a suite there.  Nice option to have available sometimes.

Try,

I have never done that.  Do you show them your platinum card and they treat you as though you were that with them?

No, you normally have to check with each company and talk to their customer service and explain that you are a Platinum member with Marriott and ask if they have a status match.  Most will, but not all.  They will tell you what they need to confirm your status (each is a little different), and then they will usually give you that status for the end of the partial year (like the rest of this year) and then have you at that status for the next year to see if you meet their qualifications for the following year.  Most match you at their top level, except one of the chains put you at just below their Diamond level, because they say they don't match up to that level, they make people earn that one outright.

Also, If there is a particular brand that you are interested in, just search this site for Status Match , or maybe add the brand if you want to narrow it down some more.

Thanks.  I have never tried that but it is worth a try.  I like most on this site look for Marriotts first but I have been going to many areas that don't have any Marriotts.  Hiltons seem to be in most of those places.  I have silver with them but it is the gold that gives free breakfasts every day at resorts as well.  That is a nice thing to have.

From what I saw on a recent FlyerTalk, they may not match, but have a FastTrack to Gold that may require only a few nights to get that.  I would call them and see what they can do for you.  Let us know what you find out.  I too always use Marriott when I can, but have to go to other brands when they is not a Marriott close by.  Pays to get the best from the other brands, when you can.  Good Luck

This is good to know.  I probably will not stay at one this year but will inquire when I do.

nalced1 Gold 37 Reviews

I was going to fall short last year and about this time of year they came to me an offered that if I stayed 50% of the nights I needed by the end of the year that they would keep my level in tact.