14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2016 11:59 AM by gopadres RSS

48 Hour Guarantee for Platinum

rjmoman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I just called the Platinum reservation line to make a reservation.  I was told both hotels in the city I was going to was sold out.  I inquired about the 48 hour Platinum Elite Guarantee.  I was told by the representative that the hotels likely requested for special permission to block the guarantee.  What is the point of offering a benefit of membership when you are not going to always honor it?  Why should I stay loyal to a chain that changes the rules to their benefit?  Has anyone else experienced this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 48 Hour Guarantee for Platinum
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Rjmoman,

Thanks for your post.  Below is the link to the terms and conditions for Marriott Rewards elite member benefits.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

48-hour Guaranteed Availability: Limited to Platinum Member's personal guestroom. Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked at least 48 hours prior to arrival available at all participating Marriott hotel brands except Marriott Vacation Club. 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events). Benefit cannot be used in conjunction with award usage or any type of promotional or discounted rates. For Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, 48 Hour Guaranteed Availability applies to studio rooms only.

I understand and agree with your frustration, however it looks as if Marriott has provided itself with an escape clause, which on (I would think only rare) occasion may be necessary.  I hope you will get some additional responses to your question from folks who have encountered the same experience as you, telling how it turned out for them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I have run into this as well.  I wanted to get into Gettysburg next May and the Marriott website didn't show a hotel.  Later in advertising I found a CY.  I called PR and they explained what I found and said they might be sold out for a graduation, etc.  I also found this for a hotel in Charlottesville and was told the same thing.  I can understand if a group wants an entire hotel for a special occasion, they probably prepay and don't want a few of us.  In Charlottesville, there was another hotel but not in Gettysburg so I had to go with a competitor.

I wonder if in the past, they always saved a few rooms for unexpected VIPs and just figured that we could get one too.  Maybe now they are looking for every dollar and don't same rooms or at least not as often.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

A fair question would be to ask if they could define the "special event".  I'm sure it's not a secret. If they are unwilling or unable, then the T&C definition is bogus.

PR didn't know what event, they only speculated, do you think this would be a question for PCS?

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Most home games for Florida State University football games do not allow the 48 hour guarantee for Platinum Members but they are willing to sell these rooms at very high prices..go figure!!!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Another revenue incentive for the hotel!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

My son is at FSU and I've learned to book my room for Parents Weekend the moment they become available. This was a hard earned lesson because the one time I forgot to book early I landed up paying $350 for a Courtyard.

Go Noles!

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Both my husband and I have run into this a few times.  (We are both Platinum status.)  When my husband did a little digging he was finally told they would release a room to him if he paid a premium.  I think it was something close to triple the rate.  Essentially, you are covering the cost of whomever gets bumped.... assuming, of course, that the hotel would have been booked solid to begin with as this was a week or two out from the date we needed it.  There was just a hold on all the rooms, at the time, due to a "special event" so they couldn't know for sure if the hotel would be full.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Have never been in this situation before (thankfully), but this is an interesting read.

I wanted to go to Monterey last Sat and looked more than 48 hours and it did not show any even though there are 3 Marriott's in the area.  I had to stay 1 1/2 hours drive away but did get a really good rate.

curiousone Platinum

I just tried to book a Spring Hill Suites in Flagstaff for Friday Oct. 12. The SH was booked and and the web site listed other local Marriott hotels that were still open, a CY and  FF. Since the CY was an acceptable alternative, no need to try the 48 hour Plat guarantee.

What should have happened is you should have been able to see the SHS with rack rate and the others with perhaps discounted rated.  It appears that many of us are not shown sold out resorts through the platinum override.

gopadres Platinum

I know this is an older thread, but I just experienced this as well.  Tried to book a room in San Luis Obispo this Saturday and everything in a 50 mile radius is booked. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...