30 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2012 11:12 AM by glew RSS

Boobirds.......listen up!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'll bet that caption got your attention!!

But, with all the negative vibe in recent posts regarding status recognition and poster clutter (really??).....thought I'd create a post and relate some info regarding my most recent stays at 7 different properties....and all within the last 20 days.

I have been acknowledged for my status in every single property I have stayed at. I have been thanked for my loyalty at every single property I have stayed at. I have been given a superb room in every single property I have stayed at. Views and location regarding privacy and elimination of the potential for 'noise' in every one have been fantastic. I will admit I have had one bad experience that I have posted about (Union Square Marriott) but the room I was given I cannot express misgivings about...it was great. The Marriott Anaheim, The LAX Renaissance, The Union Square Marriott (only problem stay), The Seattle Waterfront Hotel, The CLT Fairfield Inn at the airport, the Ontario Fairfield Inn, the Desert Springs Villas II (where they called me and thanked me in advance for being loyal to Marriott and asked for my preference on a stay and gave me EXACTLY the villa I requested). ALL have gone above and beyond to recognize me and try to make me happy with the best room they could find for me. I am not the type that cares about the suite when I travel alone, but the only request I made because my wife was traveling with me (DSV II) has been recognized exactly as asked.

Sometimes our travel experiences don't go as we plan. Other times we don't get the service we expect (and feel we deserve) at Marriott properties. It has been a point of discussion many times in recent history. I have also posted many times about shortcomings regarding training and staff preparedness regarding their best customers. But, I must say, my most recent experiences have told me that there is an effort being made to better the service we are being given on property. For that, I am pleased.......and I thank Marriott for the effort they have made to do so.

And that Union Square Marriott problem....they credited me a nights stay and refunded it to me. I'm pleased with that also.....they are making an effort to right the wrong when it happens.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Louis, MO, USA
  • Re: Boobirds.......listen up!
    taxman415 Platinum

I have to agree with you... I have seen a significant difference in the level of service at various Marriott properties... Most notable would be at the check in process and the staff member thanking me for loyalty as a Platinum member...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

taxman:

Glad I'm not alone in the service experience. Please let us know where the 'good experiences' have been. I think it would be a plus for everyone to know where those properties are that have elevated their service levels.

erc Platinum

That's a great post tef, I was wondering what you had been up to (I was worried you were going steppingstones on us). Congratulations on a terrific journey; that's the kind of Marriott we all knew and experienced during our decades of a mutually beneficial relationship, and still gratefully enjoy when the stars align. It shows the enormous potential the company has when it's properly running on all cylinders. Your next wave of travels will help determine whether last week was the 1972 Dolphins (which beat my beloved Redskins) or your beloved 2007 Patriots, who had memories of greatness snatched from their grasps.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

For sure, it is a hit-or-miss proposition.  Sometimes things seem to go our way, other times it seems you can't catch break.  Tef had a great extended experience and that gives us all hope that the same can happen for us.  The reality is that sometimes it will and sometimes it won't.  But, what it also shows us is that much of the positive experience is generated by the simple things that the property does for us and not the added cost items that we all clamor for.   At the end of the day, most of us are not looking for a free meal or the presidential suite, but rather a nod and a smile upon check in, attentiveness when needed, and a thank you upon departure.  That's all, seems simple enough to me............

I do agree as the Union Square property was the 'miss' on this journey, but the others sure have shown a different, and good, side. A couple more quick stops before getting home...and I'm hoping that the service will be in the good category.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Shoeman,

"But, what it also shows us is that much of the positive experience is generated by the simple things that the property does for us and not the added cost items that we all clamor for.   At the end of the day, most of us are not looking for a free meal or the presidential suite, but rather a nod and a smile upon check in, attentiveness when needed, and a thank you upon departure.  That's all, seems simple enough to me............"

Bullseye, Mr.  It's as much about how we are made to feel (ie. welcomed, appreciated, valued, respected) as anything else.

We'll see...and strangely enough that next travel wave will take me to the homeland of those 1972 'Fins....Miami....to see those Patriots of mine and then on to Aruba. I hope the oddysey continues, as it has really been a very nice change.

PSU Fan Platinum 2 Reviews

I would like to echo your praise of Marriott properties related to our cross country trip in August. My wife and I drove our son's car (BMW M3 convertible - too much fun!) from CA to PA. We stayed at 7 different properties - all in the Marriott family, of course - and were ALWAYS recognized as gold status and thanked for our loyalty. Our favorites were the Denver Marriott (where we were invited to a managers' reception) and the St. Louis Union Station (a wonderful historic property.) Also, we were usually upgraded and offered great suggestions for what to do, where to eat, etc. The entire experience was amazing and Marriott hospitality was a huge part of the pleasure - many wonderful Marriott employees and properties!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PSU Fan,

Yes, I totally agree with you about Union Station, St. Louis.  It is a great property, especially if you are attending a game, concert or want to enjoy the riverfront.

They have a very good CL, and professional staff.  Here is a couple of pictures for youl

IMG_0759.JPG

Wonderful CL professionals!

IMG_0763.JPG

Front Desk people are well dressed, professional as well as most helpful!

Location Brand Hotel
      St. Louis, MO, USA

jerry:

You're the king of staff and property photos! I can't believe how many times you have come back to a post with pictures of staff and property involved in a discussion! Neat!

Tef6178,

Thank-you for your post and comment!

People are important to me, as I travel, they are determining what kind of rooms I get, what kind of upgrade (If any), and what kind of time I have.  I appreciate when they are especially nice to me when I have loved ones with me.  When I travel alone it is no big deal.

Marriott has been as good to me as I have to them.

jerry,

I agree. When I travel alone I could care about the room I get...but when I am with my better half, I expect that the service and room choice I am given will be good on both counts. The layout we have here at Desert Springs Villas II is just beautiful. Sunset over the mountain...sun reflecting on the pond in the morning....really nice!

tef6178,

Yes, you are so right.  It is sad to take people along with you and have sub-par experience.  Especially after indicating to loved ones how the stay will be special because of all the time you have spent away from them.  Does that make sense?

Perfect sense jerry. It is always good to have expectations achieved when we travel with others.

curiousone Platinum

tef

Not sure if you are still in Palm Springs, but if you are and have a hankering for a big old deli sandwich, look for Sherman's Deli. There is one not too far from Desert Springs.

curiousone:

We went to Sherman's Deli (just down on Country Club Drive from the corner of Monterey)! I had a big Hot Pastrami with the spicy deli mustard! Was it ever good!! You're right about this place...it really is a good place for the eats! Thanks for the tip!

Glad to hear of your experiences! I hope others chime in as well.....

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

It feels good when things click.... thanks for sharing the good stuff, tef.

I had planned this commentary for after my trip and further stays concluded (next week) but I really sensed a lot of negative vibe lately and thought it was time to report that there are some 'good things' going on with Marriott.

Hi Tef,

Thanks for posting this.  I'm happy to hear that all (but one) of your stays were pleasant experiences in terms of customer service.  I'm also happy to report that every single stay I have made in the past year, from budget to full service, U.S. to Europe has been pleasant as well.

Regarding your Union Square stay, I don't recall you mentioning that you made a formal complaint (although I do recall that you mentioned that you received a customer satisfaction survey from corporate for that particular stay), and so I am just curious as to how your receipt of a refund while also receiving the night's credit (and terrific, btw) came about.

I did do the survey. It was an e-mailed survey that arrived during my trip (while at another location) and well after my stay at Union Square. It asked specific questions relating to my time at the Union Square property. That gave me pause to think that since corporate was sending surveys surrounding a 'specific' property that there 'may be' others who experienced what I did. So, I filled out the survey and provided commentary wherever it was asked for further specificity. At the end of the survey, it was revealed to me that they 'could' be sharing the responses with the hotel. I was fine with that. The GM e-mailed me directly with an apology and thanks for the specifics so he could 'address' them with staff. As a further gesture of apology, he offered to credit me back for one of the nights I was there and I accepted.

This appears to speak to the value of filling out the surveys.  Especially when coming from corporate.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Ditto on the excellent treatment at LAX Renaissance.  Given it's an airport area hotel I didn't expect a lot, but they were phenomenal!

There have been so many GOOD posts regarding the LAX Ren. Staff is so professional and caring. I am returning there Sunday and am really looking forward to the stay before we jet home.

tef6178,

They have always treated me special, no complaints as well.

keglerbill Platinum 1 Reviews

Great photos from the Union Station St Louis. Last time I was there, I was told by staff members that the property was going to become a Doubletree, effective October 1st. Anyone confirm that? If true, it's really a loss to the Marriott chain. The lobby bar (part of the old train station main waiting area) is magnificent -- 10,000 sq ft, and over 100 feet high domed ceiling.

jamespittman Member 1 Reviews

Did your survey come from Marriott directly? Curious if they are using another company to conduct these surveys.

The survey I filled out was a direct survey from Marriott. My guess is that it was from corporate. I never get surveys that are so specific in nature that it made me think they were specifically targeting responses for this property. With the issues I encountered, it made me think that other complaints had been received on this property and they were looking into what might be going on through targeted surveys.

travelprincess Platinum 1 Reviews

Thank your for sharing the half full perspective. I travel whenever I can and have been fortunate to stay at many Marriott hotels across the world. I have for most of the time found similar experiences to yours.

glew Platinum 7 Reviews

@tef6178 - concur with you.  Way too many negative posts (basically whining IMO).  I suspect some (not all) of the negative posters are the people that I see treating the hotel staff like indentured servants or worse.  Hello!  You treat the people that service you badly, you're going to get it in return.

Old saying: Be careful how you treat your secretary/admin, car mechanic, etc.  They can either make your life easy or miserable.

I had a boss years ago who treated his secretary/assistant poorly.  He was having a really bad day one time, and took it out on her.  On his next cross country trip (NY to LA), she had him stopping twice, turning a normally 6 hour trip into 12+ hours.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...