21 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 8:51 AM by eb5147 RSS

Will gaining the next elite level hurt me because of rollover nights?

mickb116 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am silver elite with 46 nights right now.  Only 4 were rollovers from last year.  Am I looking at this wrong or will moving from silver to gold hurt me for next year? As of right now, I will roll over 32 (46-4-10) nights to next year.  If I stay 8 more nights, thats 54 so I get gold status (Yay!), but then I roll over 0 (54-4-50) nights to next year.  Status carries into the following year so I would start with gold, but 0 nights towards reachieving gold for the following year with (less 15 from CC) 35 left to go and all 60 if I want platinum.  If I don't stay any by the end of the year, I carry 32 nights, plus 15 for the CC is 47 so I only need 3 to get gold and 28 to make platinum.  So, if I'm understanding the rollover program correctly, its in my best interest to avoid all Marriott properties until after the first of the year.  Anyone see a flaw in my logic?  Please, because I do like the Marriotts in the area I typically travel for work.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Will gaining the next elite level hurt me because of rollover nights?
    blava007 Platinum

Mickb116,

Not to add complexity, but adding your “2012 Rollover Nights + CC nights + Few early in the year stays in the Marriott hotels” may give your 50 nights early part of the year; thus a Gold Level for the remained for the 2013 and Glod Level for 2014 as well. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

If you achieve Gold status this year, it will continue all next year.  Your stays next year will earn status for 2014.

mickb116 Gold 37 Reviews

I know, but as blava said, if I avoid Marriott the rest of this year and stay only 3 times early next year, it gets me Gold for 2013 and 2014.  In addition I'd like to get to platinum where again, if I stay more than 25% of the nights left in the year I could make it this year and carry it to 2013, but with 1 less night to earn and a whole year to do it, I could have it for whats left of 2013 at that point and all of 2014. 

I do travel a lot but not nearly enough to earn/maintain platinum on a regular basis (at least at my current travel level).  So for the long run, taking my probably 3 weeks of travel left this year to a different chain and working on a status there may make more sense.  3 weeks is a lot of money for the hotel but still a week short of getting me to platinum.

Maybe the hit to rollover nights wouldn't be so bad if they start the status nights clock at the status level below yours when the new year starts.  As an example:

Say you have 55 nights and gold status for 2012.  You would start 2013 with 5 rollover nights (55-50 for gold), but would tack that on to the silver level (10).  So then instead of needing 45 nights to keep your status for 2014, you only need 35.  I'm not necessarily saying you get credited 10 nights but more like for existing members the scale shifts so on that little bar chart on account activity page, the bottom of the scale would be the silver mark rather than 0 and likewise gold for current platinum members.  Granted this may work better/fairer if silver was an even grouping from gold/platinum (i.e. 25, 50, 75 vs. 10, 50, 75).  The increase in silver level puts fewer people into that bracket which can allow for more people to keep their status at a higher level if they have a light travel year but I think the big gap between silver and gold is completely intentional.

At this point I think I'm just rambling, trying to figure if there is a good way out given that I like staying at the Marriotts, but want the higher status knowing that 2014 will be much lighter on the business travel and heavier on the personal travel I pay for myself.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Mick,

This is very interesting...... I tend to over think these things so please bare with me.

There are some on here that will cringe at the thought of using rollover nights to attain Gold or Platinum. I'm not one of them. I say, every individual should manage their hotel, airline, rental car, loyalty programs for THEIR benefit. So, let me applaud you for having the presence of mind to consider your options.

When I look at the stakeholders in your predicament I see two. You and Marriott.

So, if we look at what's best for you, I like your thoughts of gaining two years of status versus one if you manage your stays. To your point. You can have Gold for the last 2 or 3 months of 2012 and all of 2013. OR you can rollover from Silver, qualify for Gold early (1st Quarter?) in 2013 and gain 2 years of status. It's hard to argue against being patient and hitting the target early in 2013. Platinum may come later in the year, that's a nice kick in the pants, as well.

Now, let's look at Marriott.  If you continue to stay until the end of 2012, they gain a few nights. You'll get your status and they'll have you for 2013, as well. 2014 looks as if you'll be back at square one and they lose the advantage of having their "Gold/Platinum" hooks in you. You may shop the field and consider other chains when 2014 comes along.  On the other hand, Marriott, who already has your 46 nights in 2012 in the bag loses your business for the last quarter of 2012. BUT, your early earning of Gold in 2013 keeps you coming back until the end of 2014. So... if Marriott had to choose, I'd bet they would rather lose a few nights in 2012 to gain many more nights in 2014. Plus, the added benefit for them is they may convince you, with their excellent standards, to keep staying year after year.

I see it as a win/win for you and Marriott. I'll even bet the sharp folks at Marriott had this in mind when they started the roll over program. It's the old give a little to gain a lot plan.

This has been an interesting post.  I find it interesting that not staying at a Marriott will offer more days of benefits.  You could do 3 more stays and still be in the same position.  I read Marriott's write up on roll over nights and it does get extended year by year and is good for 2012 but not beyond that at this time.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I too find this post very intriguing.  It's nice to read that Mick has options, and I hope he does what's best for him. 

I have a status predicament that is somewhat similar to Mick, in that I will fall short of gold requirements by a few nights by the end of this year.  The decision for myself would be (as a non-business traveler, so not as many nights) whether or not I spend the money to get the missing nights needed for gold next year, or step down to silver while letting 36 nights rollover (making an assumption that there will be rollover nights into 2013), and staying silver until probably summer, when I would be back to gold (and you're saying the year after as well?)  Since free breakfast is my most important gold status perk, I have to ask myself how many weekday (or in Europe, weekends too) breakfasts we will lose between January and July (when I would regain gold status), and how cost effective the trade off would be, if at all.  Next year, the majority of my stays will be at brands that offer free breakfasts to all guests, with perhaps at the most, 10 days at locations in Europe and Hawaii that would offer free breakfasts to gold and above, where as in 2014 there will be many more Europe nights where I will definitely need the free breakfasts.  So I will have to do the math and see.

Question for Mick,

If you have 46 nights currently and stop staying at Marriott for the rest of the year, wouldn't you rollover 36 nights (and not 32)?

Does anyone know if the Courtyard in Kona and the Marriott in Waikoloa offer free breakfast to gold/platinum elites?  Hawaii seems to be a different animal.

mickb116 Gold 25 Reviews

I have 4 nights that rolled over from 2011 and the nights don't roll over twice.  So I only get to roll over 46 - 4(2011 rollover) - 10 (silver) = 32

I also agree with breakfast being a favorite, with free internet and earning rewards faster rounding out my top 3.  Residence Inn solves the breakfast and internet issues regardless of status but for whatever reason is only half as many rewards points as a Courtyard or Marriott.

Mick, thanks for clarifying that.  I'll bear that in mind in the future.  I happened to not have any rollover nights into 2012, as I just happened to hit exactly 50 nights in Dec. last year, and for the first time, so it's all a bit new, and I am learning.

Pluto,

CYs never offer breakfast.  When I stayed at the Marriott in Waikoloa, I did not get breakfast.

Another thing to think about is reaching lifetime gold which I believe requires 12 years as a Rewards member and 800 paid nights and a certain number of Rewards pts (conflicting numbers 1.6M to 2M)  If Mick is staying at other brands, he is losing nights towards lifetime status.

I don't know where you are as far as obtaining this but I can say it is worth it.  I have had Lifetime platinum for many years and each year seem to stay the required # of nts but not under pressure.  I will be cutting back in the near future and will still have my benefits.  As a result will continue to stay at Marriotts.

mickb116 Gold 37 Reviews

Another good point, although I'm thinking more short term at the moment as far as status.  I've still got the better part of a decade to make the 12yr requirement.  I did notice on the lifetime status requirements it looks like to get gold you need to have held gold at least once ever and likewise for platinum.  This has got me eyeballing platinum saying, if I can hit that in the next year, that takes care of that requirement then its just a matter of getting to the nights/points and by then the time will have taken care of itself.  Nights points and time I can get to eventually but I don't typically rack up 75 nights in a year, at least not right now.

Mick,

Keep in mind that requirements can change.  For others chains, to obtain lifetime one must be at that level for several years.  Marriott could change that and require more than 1 year.

I am also lifetime with AA and recently, they changed the requirement but that was only for those who are not yet there.

Keep in mind that the cc can really help since it gives you 15 nts just for having it and another nt for every $3k spent.

Cal, of course CY's do not offer free breakfast.  Brain freeze (and in this weather! )  Thank you for that as well as for the info re:Waikoloa.  You also make a very good point about maximizing credit towards lifetime status.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

mickb116,

As pained stated, I agree that each person should manage to get the most out of any program and take advantage of any opportunities to help mange the calendar and the points to get the maximum they can for themselves and their family.  Your logic is pretty sound on trying to get the most months you can get out of the status upgrade.  Another thought is the "Taste of Gold or Taste of Platinum" programs for getting a status immediately and then have to stay a number of nights within a 3 month period to maintain it for the rest of the year and for the next year.  This can be very useful if you see a 3 full month (and a partial month of when you start the program) where  you will stay enough nights to meet the challenge.  No matter which way you get your status, and the end of the first full year of having that status, you will no longer have any rollover nights and will either have to buy back (if that is offered) your level you are going to lose, or go back and start all over again the next year.  By the way, I understand that the "Taste of ..." programs can be used more than one time.  Good Luck!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

mick:

Good analysis, but don't forget to factor in when those 15 nights for the CC are added to your account. I have heard many differing time frames when they are credited, so be sure to check when you get the nights credited. If the nights are credited late in the year (mine have been credited in November for many, many years although I have heard others get theirs in June or July) and you need the nights for the status bump, you would have to wait for that time to get the status bump or stay the extra 15 nights to get it.

mickb116 Gold 8 Reviews

I hadn't even thought of that, I just assumed it would be at the first of the year.  Although I guess it would make sense that it would be on the anniversary of when you opened the card, hence all the different time frames.  I opened my card in spring some time so that isn't too bad of a wait but I will have to factor that in.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews
    Do you use points to pay for some of your nights?  If so, you might want to consider attaining gold early so you could the the $1000 in Marriott cheques for 135,000 points and using them to pay for nights that you would get credit for.  The cheques are only good at that point value if you are gold or platinum.  You would have a year to use them and would actually be getting points back instead of using them.  That would make your cheques cost a maximum of 120,000 points since your bonus would be 50% instead of 25% and assuming you use them at places that give you 10 points per dollar spent instead of 5 like we get at RI.  If you use those during Spring Mega Bonus to get 40,000 or 50,000 points for 25 nights or the lesser bonus for 15 nights stayed, that would bring the point total down more.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...