16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2012 7:05 PM by klaus29 RSS

Who gets credit for nights: Payer or guest?

glew Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Am curious: who gets credit for nights stayed at a Marriott property?  They payer or guest who actually stays at the hotel?  If I am staying at a Marriott property, and the room is paid for as part of a group (e.g. - corporation), does the corporation get credit for the nights or can I the individual get the nights stayed credit?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Who gets credit for nights: Payer or guest?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

my experience has been unless you pay for the room you won't get credit

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

taxman415 Platinum

The person who pays will get the credit but the reservation must contain the rewards member name and account number in order to get the credit...

Hope this helps...

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Glew,

The person whose Name/Marriott Rewards number that the reservation is attached to gets the Marriott Rewards credit only if that person is staying in the room.  In a case where a room is reserved under a corporate identity, I don't know if anyone at all gets reward credit.

Try this:  If you are still staying at the hotel, contact the front desk, and ask them if your rewards number can be attached to your particular room.  If they say no, ask them to explain how it works.  Thanks for posting, good luck, and please let us know how it all turns out.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Glew,

When I was staying at Marriott hotels and the bank was paying for the rooms, I was still getting the points and nights.  I just needed to make sure my Marriott number was on the reservation and i was the one in the room.  If you had previous stays that you might get credit for, I would call Marriott Customer Service and give them the information on the stays and your Rewards number.  I think they may be able to go back as far as a year, but I'm not sure of that.  Let us know how it turns out!

glew Platinum 7 Reviews

Thanks everyone for posting responses.  I will update folks on what happens in a week.

As people may surmise, I will be staying at a Marriott property next week as part of a group where a corporation is paying for the hotel.  Hence my original post as "Who gets the Marriott points/nights?".

I am a Platinum member and it will also be interesting to see if/how I am granted Platinum privledges even though I am not paying for the hotel stay.

Will let folks know what happens...

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I use to work part-time doing travel on the weekend.  We went on a fam to Bermuda, and stayed at the Marriott in Bermuda.  We also went to Miami and stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay while doing cruise ship inspections.  Both times, I was at the Marriott, and they were paying for the fam, I was accorded my plantinum benefits (was upgraded).

glew,

As long as you are Platinum and have your Rewards number on the reservation, I would see if you can get any Platinum upgrades while you are there also!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

My understanding is that if the platinum person is staying in the room, they can get upgraded and get other benefits as well.  The points and nts credit is different and if the person is not paying may not get the points.

Depends on who pays for the comp'd room

If the travel agency payed, I got the points and nights stayed credit.

If the vendor, in this case Marriott provided it, then I did not.  It worked just like using points or certificates.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

My experience is that it is not the payment basis, but the credentials of the guest in question.  That is to say, if my corporate entity had booked and paid for the room, but even up to the point of check in I provided my MR number, I get the points, nights, and any upgrades and amenities based on my status. Similarly, when I've covered the room for new coworkers that weren't MR members and I attached my number to the reservation, I got the credit for them as well as myself.

So, the answer becomes, whatever MR member number is attached to the room for the stay is what is recorded and credited, unless there's a specific rule (and stickler for them) that prohibits it.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

If it's a "master bill" to your corporation, you will not receive night or points credit.  If you're paying for the room with your own credit card & you have your rewards # in your ressie, you'll get the points/night credit.

Even if it's a master bill, you'll still receive elite bennies you're entitled to such as free internet, Plat arrival gift (if one is Plat), possible upgrade.

Cheers.

we don't do the master bill as they want everyone responsible for their own room and expenses hence it goes on your corporate card, and then line item by line item in the expense report its allowable or not allowable.  Allowable items are paid by the company.  Unallowable items are the responsibility of the employee, including any damages, smoking in a room, etc.

glew Platinum 7 Reviews

Ok folks - appreciate all the responses.  I've done my stay where the room was paid for by a corporation (not mine). I presented my Marriott Platinum credentials at the hotel. Was asked if I wanted Platinum arrival gift or points. No upgraded room (hotel was full).

I was credited for the nights stayed and the Marriott Rewards points even though room was paid for by a corporation.

Glew,

Thanks for updating.  That was in line with my experiences as well, so I'm glad to see that didn't change.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

one other note...I believe it is the corporation's generosity to allow the individual to acquire points/miles with corporate stays, at least it is in my case. My company likes for us to stay at Marriott hotels but we all pay with individual corporate credit cards. In our buyers' guide, it states that each buyer is given the opportunity to accumulate points/miles with stays but that they may be subject to IRS regulations as they may be considered gifts. I think some employers like to keep the points themselves.

I'm glad you were able to accumulate points for your stay, especially since you are platinum could possibly receive even extra perks.

klaus29 Silver

who payd is  not important.                ..  for  get the  points and nights,  important is  the reservation wars make  onder your name, and possible with your marriott rewards  number.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...