21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2012 12:06 PM by californian RSS

Corporate request not to change bonus!!

traveler2 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just got off the phone with the Platinum Elite line and asked what options were available to change my bonus. I was told that a request was sent down by corporate to not make any manual adjustments to the bonus. That we will have to comply with the bonus that was chosen for us! I have made a change in the past with no problem.  Now, I have to say this irritates me a bit! I may not make my 25 nights this promotion so I loose out on valuable points. Why doesn't Marriott wise up and let us choose what bonus best fits our needs for that particular time frame. If we make the wrong choice then it was our mistake to make and we own it!  Come on Marriott.......Make your loyal members want to stay!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Corporate request not to change bonus!!
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

traverler

that's not very nice.....   I too have never in the past had any issues with adjusting my bonus opportunity to better fit my needs.  Very surprised to hear of this.  I think I might try to call back and get someone else on the line, see if that helps.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

traveler2 Platinum

Also, just found this on Andy's page. Guess it says it all!!

Greetings Insiders,

Details on your 2012 Fall MegaBonus promotional offer will be available today in Promotion Central.

Visit your personalized MegaBonus page to register for your unique offer by October 31, 2012 for paid stays (using any payment method) made between September 15 and January 15, 2013, at over 3,600 participating Marriott properties around the world. Promotional offers are specific to each individual Rewards member, and as a reminder, promotional offers may not be switched.

Watch for more information and official terms and conditions starting July 31, 2012 at MarriottRewards.com/MegaBonus2012 and safe travels!

Andy

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

well, there you have it.  I suppose that I can understand their desire to offer controlled bonus promotions and that if too many changes are allowed  it could distort what they wanted to accomplish, but it does seem like an abrupt about face in policy. 

traveler2 Platinum

I agree that making changes on an individual basis can be a nightmare. What they want to assure is that I continue to stay after reaching my goal as platinum and not spend nights gathering points and status at a competing hotel chain. If I have to stay 25 nights to receive my 50k bonus that means I can't stay anywhere else. However if I was on the 2 stays  for 1 free then I could. Guess they are smarter than the average bear!!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Take shoeman's advice and call back.  It's surprising how different the answers can be between different phone clerks at Marriott Rewards.  And if you're not satisfied, ask for a supervisor.  Nothing has changed.  If you want to change your promo, they'll change it.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Looks like I have 3 Cat 1-4 Certificates from the Summer Program that I have not used, so they have selected the same program for me in the fall, where I will get another 3.

Was going to give away as a gift, except I would have to be there, and its not local.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Gem,

I talked to Platinum Rewards just a few days ago, and they told me they could change from my points promo to a free stay certificate without a problem.  I would call them and see if you can't change it anyway.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Thanx tryt,  I feel like I have a buggy whip collection going on.  Though who knows.  When I have 6, it might actually be worth that plane ticket to KL for the Cat 4 JW they have

erc Platinum

It will be interesting to see come January whether Marriott honors the changes already approved by their customer service employees or if they retroactively void them.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Because of this site, I learned that I could get mine changed for summer.  I called and they did.  I added some stays that I would not have done if not for the promotion.  Marriott and I both benefited.  My Megabonus was set and I did call and was told that it could not be changed.

Another hotel chain allows people to put their own promotion together.  Under ideas you could vote for Marriott to allow us to do the same.  If we get a promotion that we like, we are more likely to meet the requirements which in many cases could mean extra stays for us and then extra revenue for Marriott.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

If it shows up in your account right now, I don't believe they can take it away from you,

The concern is for those who called and they said they noted it and call back after earning the bonus and they will change it.  that happened to me for the summer and I got it changed.  I don't think they could or would take it back but they are concerned about the Megabonus for fall.

erc Platinum

Well put Cal. It appears to me (now, finally)  that in spite of the boldness of the headline, traveler2 just happened to face what several of us did when we called about changing the promotion - a service rep who was following a different (the original) directive. I see (now) that traveler2's reference to Andy's blog posting was to Andy's original (watch for more information starting July 31). Originally I was concerned that since my change was only granted verbally over the phone (as in, not showing up on my promotions chart) the change might have been dissolved or forgotten by time I called to collect in January.  But now I optimistically agree with Nuhusker, that apparently nothing has changed, that it depends on who answers the phone, so call back until you reach a representative who changes it for you . 

traveler2 Platinum

erc,

Perhaps you are correct and I may get someone different that will tell me yes but this is what I was told yesterday while talking to the platinum line. I asked her specifically if this was from corporate and she said "Yes, we have been given instructions from corporate not to change any individual promotions". I only asked about the fall promotion and I asked the day before it actually started.  I don't think that anyone that has already been changed would be affected. My guess is that they get overrun with requests and the agents have to manually adjust and I'm sure that runs into a lot of time for them. I agree with shoeman, it probably distorts the goal behind offering the bonus. My hope for this blog (and bold headline) was to get Marriott to pay attention and see the need to offer us all a choice for the bonus. And to give my fellow traveler the heads up!

Yes, I may try to call again but not really sure if I care to. I may just work on my Hilton points as I am already platinum for next year.

erc Platinum

Ouch, thanks for the clarifying update. I'm sure you got corp's attention, they read everything (on flyertalk, the posters deliberately don't list their sources of lower room rates in their quest for the Look No Further guarantee out of concern that Marriott then revises the sites ). For you, I give my best Billy Clinton, 'I feel your pain' and for me, I'm back to my original concern on whether or not they will honor the verbal agreements they previously made (probably everyone but erc's!). This site has turned me into Woody Allen, "you'd be paranoid too, if everyone was out to get you".  Oh well, I've got a great trip scheduled for Chicago at some nice Marriotts next weekend with CL's offering breakfast coupons, so I'll just reminisce about 'the good ol' days'.

traveler2 Platinum

I really hope that they do honor any requests that have already been made and agreed upon and I do believe they will. Otherwise they would have an uprising on their hands!! :-) We will all keep plugging along and hopefully Marriott will pay attention to our concerns.  Either way we all get to enjoy the perks that goes with being an elite, valued member.  Enjoy your trip to Chi town. Its a great place to visit.

traveler2,

If you go to ideas, there is a vote on Marriott allowing us to pick our promotion.  You could vote up if you feel this way.  It has not gotten any real momentem and even if it does, I am not sure that Marriott would do it.

It does cost Marriott money to allow us to change it.  The phone lines are really busy when we first call and then we have to call again to collect.  To me, I think Marriott should offer us a choice of bonuses that we qualify for and let us choose.

traveler2 Platinum

Thanks Californian, I had no idea that was there. I just voted up!

Good.  I think that many don't know it is there.  Almost all voted yes but I noticed that 2 people voted no.

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

They have always very nicely changed and monitored any request of this sort I have ever made. Maybe somebody over there was having a bad day.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...