8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2012 4:15 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Marriott WTC on 9-11-01

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For any who are interested, there's a documentary on History channel at 7 pm, central time, about the Marriott at World Trade Center on 9-11-01.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott WTC on 9-11-01
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Thanx for the heads up!

That was my favorite hotel when it existed, and part of the team I worked with was actually staying there that day and have quite horrific accounts of leaving the CL and walking all the way down the stairs thinking there was a fire in either the hotel or World Trade, and after arriving street level, and standing outside the hotel, having the police move them across the street and from there watching the 2nd plane hit the tower.  They were so close that they could not see the towers (which were attached to the hotel) because the plane was blocking the view, and then having to walk across Brooklyn Bridge to the Brooklyn Marriott.

Anyways the property was wonderful.

They had these duplex suites over looking the river, with a circular staircase going up from the living room to the bedroom.  Love to order room service and eat in.

There was a fabulous gym on the top floor with a pool in the center, the running track around the pool, and the stationary bikes and running machines between the track and the windows.

The concierge lounge had great river views as well, if you didn't get the duplex upgrade.

You could walk over to the World Trade from the Marriott and take the elevator up to Windows on the World which was great for drinks, or shop in the mall on the lower floors.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

GemPrincess,

Only stayed at the at the Marriott in WTC a few times.  However, I really remember the "Windjammer Lounge" ( I think that was the name!). 

While I was not there, my family was there one week prior to 9/11 at the Marriott.  The pictures of the stay are "Haunting", and I will always remember the wonderful times at this hotel.

There was a very special Amish Deli next door that I really miss.  May we never forget!

JC,

I do remember the "Windjammer Lounge".

Spent much time there, coming (waiting for room) or going (waiting for limo).

GemPrincess,

That was a memorable lounge!  But was it expensive!  I was with my buddy from Canada and had a drink there.  We had one and it was the most expensive single drink I had ever had.  The vodka was over $10 with tonic added.  From the Mid-West, I had never had a drink that cost that much.  It was a wonderful experience, and I cannot believe it is all gone.

Pretty standard NYC drink pricing.

Anyways, in those days I paid little attention as it all went on the expense report, and I got Marriott points for it!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

jerrycoin, just the opposite of drink prices...happy hour at the Airman's Club at Tan Son Nhut AB, beefeaters and tonic was 15 cents!

This sounds like the pricing at the Officers clubs in WDC area

Evern our student pub costed more than that

NU,

You deserved to have 15 cent drinks for your service!

Am still working on Burlington!  Am at The Lake of the Ozarks this week and St. Joseph next week!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...