48 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2012 12:29 PM by californian RSS

Marriott Waterfront Hotel, Seattle

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just one word can sum up this property. Magnificent! I was greeted warmly by an associate and he took the time to look for a room he thought I would like. I did! Overlooking the harbor and right out in the front of the property. The staff here was very pleasant and accomodating. The hotel didn't seem overly busy, but there was plenty of staff on hand. They have a restaurant 'The Hook and Plow' that seemed to be new but wasn't busy. People I spoke with who did eat there said the food was very good! I hope business picks up for them! The Concierge Lounge was staffed with associates who really tried to make you feel welcome. They wanted to refill your juice, coffe, can I get you something. they were very nice. The food was good also. The CL was pointed off to the side of the property and didn't face the harbor directly. It faced towards the sports stadiums downtown wioth the harbor off to the right as you looked out the windows. Not the best setup but it was fine. It was also a small room. Thank goodness it wasn't busy!

It was my first trip to the city and I really enjoyed visiting the 'Public Market'. I've never seen a bigger site dedicated to 'trash and trinkets' in my travels! The waterfront was beautiful and the light rail syatem made it easy to get around the city if you didn't want to walk. It was even easy getting to and from the airport on the light rail....and only $2.75 each way!

I also did a 'Duck Tour' and that was fun, but the best highlight and restaurant I went to was having dinner on the 76th floor of Columbia Tower. You could see the top of Mt Rainier in the distance with a cloud cover below the peak. You couldn't see the peak from the ground (with the cloud cover) but I was above the cloud cover on the 76th floor and the view was something like I've never seen before! Magestic! ere's a couple of photos from my room....

DSCN0052.JPGDSCN0053.JPGDSCN0056.JPGDSCN0058.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Seattle, Washington, USA
  • Re: Marriott Waterfront Hotel, Seattle
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

very cool.  thanks for telling us about this place.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I keep hearing good things about this property......thanks, tef

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I love Seattle!  Thanks for reporting on this property.  Yes, another good report.

pevers Platinum 2 Reviews

Spent a couple of nights there in at the beginning of August. Property is nice. Only complaint is the standard one when the Concierge Lounge is closed - no breakfast vouchers.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

You mentioned light rail.  Cna you take a train from and back to the airport on it?

I stayed there in August a few years ago and it was very busy.  I had to wait in a long line to check in with only 1 person behind the front desk and was given an OK room.  The CL was very crowded.  I did have a good time and enjoyed Seattle.  I plan to return next summer.

cali:

Yes, it is very easy to ride the light rail train from and to the airport. There are signs for the 'light rail' inside the airport. You cross a walkway and can access the light rail platform station. Buy a one way ticket to Seattle (the last stop is Westlake). It costs $2.75. There are places to put luggage on the train and there was plenty of seating available. I was ablt to walk to the hotel from there.The return trip I took from Westlake to SeaTac airport. Cost again was $2.75. Just reverse the walk from the station to the terminal! It was very easy. Depending on what hotel you stay at, it might make a difference in where you exit the train. Here's the ligh link rail schedule. From there you can access other issues and questions you may have:

http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Central-Link-light-rail.xml

Hope this helps!

Thanks.  I plan to go next August and stayed at the Waterfront Marriott last time and am considering the CY at Pioneer Square since it is less pts.  I will make my decision after Mar 15 when they change hotel Catagories and hope the Waterfront goes down.

Did you use the elevator to go to the Westlake station?

It is about a 5-10 minute walk from the Westlake station to the elevator. The elevator is right next to the hotel.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

does it also go to Vancouver?

met some folks on a cruise that said they take the rail from Seattle to Vancouver to avoid buying the international ticket.

would be convenient to stop off at the Seattle Marriotts en route.

The 'light rail' train is like a subway system and only operates locally from downtown Seattle or Tacoma to the airport and back.

I agree, the CL is very small. I would think the only drawback to this property is that the Lounge is so small. If it's busy it's got to be a tough place to be in. The staff was very attentive though to the guests who were there in the CL. Top notch service!

The service in the CL was great but the ship people were in the CL and made it crowded and noisy.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We absolutely love the SEA Waterfront, visit about 4-5 times a year.  We have a specifc room we always try to book and just about every time get it.  A splendid view for sure of Elliott Bay, close to good dining in Pikes Market as well as other spots in downtown we have become aquainted with for drinks and food.

The hotel restaurant keeps changing.  It has to be very difficult to get customers when there are so many wonderful dining places a 10 minute or less walk.  The hotel staff is always very friendly and wanting to help in any way they can.  The lobby bar is a fun place to stop by for a pre-dinner drink before heading out.

Seattle has so much to offer guests and this hotel is a jewel.

The restaurant in the hotel "Hook and Plow' had just opened. They had a lot of advertising signage saying they were the 'best new restaurant' in Seattle. I agree it's a tough sell with so many good places to eat so close by. Folks who did eat there I spoke with were happy with the food and selection!

Thanx  tef for all the info on The Marriott Waterfront Seattle, as I have not stayed there yet.

Previous trips I stayed at the FS near the AP, or downtown.

My favorite restaurant is 13 Coins near the airport (there is also one downtown, but the airport restaurant is best in my book).

I also like the Greek diner in Pike Street Market cause they have Shad Roe and eggs in the morning.  In WDC I had to wait for spring for shad season, and then shad roe was always served fried crisp for dinner.  But at the Greek Dinner at the Pike Street Market I could get this dish any time.

Hi Gem:

I think you would enjoy this property! The staff was great! The walk to Pike Street and the Public Market is easy. They actually have an elevator that will take people from the waterfront street up to Pike Place with a short walk from the elevator. I was surprised how many hills there were in Seattle! It reminded me of San Francisco.

I found the elevator too.  I agree that the location is great.  I walked or took the free bus to all the places that I visited.  I am going back because I didn't get through my list of things to do.  I may take the boat to Victoria this time.

Cal,

I recommend taking the boat (Victoria Clipper) to Victoria.  It's an enjoyable ride, and a wonderful city to visit as well.  I long to go back.  Last time we stayed at the Empress Hotel (very nice), but there is a Marriott in Victoria that I'd like to try next trip.

Pluto,

I was thinking about a day trip, going over having lunch and looking around.  If I went over would there be enough to do to spend some nts.  It would mean taking luggage.

Cal, In my opinion there is plenty (tons!) to do to warrant a two night stay.  There are numerous sights to see (can even take a tour bus of the area), museums, wonderful shopping for us ladies (my favorite is the Irish linen store and the English China store), art studios and galleries, glass blowing studios, coffee and tea shops, fantastic dining.  All within walking distance.  You can even take high tea at the Empress (for about $35/person).  Also, whale watching, bird watching, salmon and trout fishing.  If you've never visited Butchart Gardens, it is a must see (not much color between December and early March, but they do a lovely display of Christmas lights and decorations (with skating rink to boot).  Pack light.  I don't remember luggage being a problem, but we were home based in Seattle.  But even so, pack light.  I finally learned my lesson on this last 19 day jaunt through Europe.  I boxed up and sent home half of my stuff at about half way through the journey (and I'm no stranger to Europe travel), and never looked back.  I'll always only travel with a carryon sized bag from here on out.

Thanks.  I will give that more thought.  The carry on is interesting.  More and more people are doing that.  When I do that, I have a problem with liquids, for example: I use a special toothpaste that only comes in 4 oz and is not allowed.  The other is worrying about fitting it in the overhead if I am not able to board early.  The big plus is that you don't have to worry about it not being there at baggage claim.  I have had lost and delayed luggage and it is not fun.

Cal, try to get a small screw cap jar, and squeeze the toothpaste into that.  I am the quintessential super low man traveler, and I've always gotten overhead bin space on long haul flights.  The short haul flights have the gate check service, which is sweet.  It's like a hybrid between checked and non-checked baggage, and it's free! (so far )

thanks for the suggestions.  I will give it a try.  There was a time when they wanted everything in it's original containers so they could see what it is.  That time may have passed.

Even though they say they are searching for liquids in the airports, I don't think in the US they still are as I bought some drug store items in MI and meant to leave them there, but forgot they were at the bottom of my backpack.  Made several trips back and forth from EWR and DTW, and no one noticed them in security.

Didn't find them till I went to London, as LHR security found them.

They are really checking.

LHR is pretty serious in my experience.  Hats off to their security (I guess!  That's why I try to avoid LHR, not because I have something to hide, but because I don't relish jumping through all of their hoops.)

It did take several hours coming and going to process through LHR, but they are thorough.

curiousone Platinum

Look for the GoToob travel bottles on the web. Great little bottles designed for travel.

Pluto,

Agree with you on there being lots to do in Victoria.

Initially went as it was on the way to Vancouver, but really loved the time spent there.

And the car ferry rides, one from seattle to victoria which was the best, and the 2nd from Victoria to Vancouver.

Pluto,

Love the car ferry from Seattle to Victoria.

Did that some years back and enjoyed tea at the Empress, Sea World, and the scenic trip along the water front.

Also did the Victoria to Vancouver Ferry which was much shorter ride, but not as nice of a Ferry as Seattle to Victoria which reminds me of the older cruise ship without the cabins.

There is also another Ferry in San Diego to Ensada that it alot of fun, like the cruise ship minus the cabins.

Thanx tef,

I have used the elevator before when shopping in Seattle.

How far is the hotel from the elevator?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

tef6178,

Like you, my stay was "Magnificent:! 

IMGP0030.JPG

Got upgraded to a wonderful, two room suite, with multiple balconies on the CL.

IMGP0032.JPG

Quite a view from the room.

IMGP0035.JPG

Pike Street Market is a wonderful place to watch "Fish throwing", and shopping.  It is up the steps from the Marriott!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

When you here?  If you or any of the other "regulars" get this way again, let me know and see if we can work a get-together into our schedules!  I'm about an hour south of Seattle, in Olympia, WA.

tryt53,

Sure will let you know when I get into the area!

Spent some time in Olympia and would enjoy getting back there.  Seattle would be another great place to have a MI "Open House"!  I really enjoy the Metropolitan Grill there and can almost taste one of those great steaks!  Here are a few more photo's you may enjoy!

IMGP0036.JPG

Looking toward the Marriott from Pikes Street Market.

IMGP0161.JPG

IMGP0162.JPG

Plenty of history in Seattle!

IMGP0164.JPG

Different foods for all!

Yes, It brings back fond memories.  I worked a few blocks away, for about 4 years and used to walk over to Pike Street Market area at least once or twice a week, during lunch hours.  I miss that, but I don't miss the 2 hours a day commute time when I lived in Federal Way and commuted to downtown Seattle every day.  Now my commute in Olympia to the company I work for her, is 10 to 12 minutes commute (depending whether I hit the 3 lights red or green), and I have a lot more time to do things I like to do at home.

Tryt,

Hats off to you for your short commute time.  It is a true and rare gift to be appreciated and not glossed over.  Good for you.

Hey what were you doing in our favorite room?

Yeah those suites with the double balcony are excellent.  Always a great view and place to sip wine while watching the boats in the bay and people walking the street.

Headed there soon so you better not be in our room. haha

IAHFLYR,

The room is all yours!

Don't forget to enjoy a nice Salmon meal along the waterfront.  Can't remember the name of the place, but there were plenty of wonderful places to enjoy seafood.

Have a good trip!  Here's a photo for you!

IMGP0039.JPG

We always find a great Dungeness Crab at Anthony's Peir 66 upstairs at the bar.  And of course, lunch at Matt's in the Market for their lunchtime only Salmon Chowder, OH MY that is a huge delight.  Yeah, we know it well for sure and simply love the entire area, just wish the cost of living was lower so I could retire there and have the lifestyle we have here in Texas! But oh well, that is why they made airplanes and airports. haha

IAHFLYR,

You are making me very hungry!

There are so many great places to dine and visit near The Marriott in Seattle.  That wine shop at Pike Street Market served me well!  Bought a case and took in on the cruise to Alaska.  Kept it cool by leaving it on the balcony and it really was pleasant having a glass while we sailed.

By the way, since you are in Houston, is Tony's still open.  They were right across the street from The Marriott on Post Oak.  Likewise, (I wish I had a picture) of Mom's on Westheimer?  Houston has some wonderful places as does Seattle.

We get out wine from the Cost Plus World Market just above the hotel on the corner of I think Virginia, just north of Pike's Market.

Ahhhh Mom's, fine spot for sure.  Tony's, I don't know the answer to that as we live up on the north side of town and don't get down to the Galleria area often anylonger.  My guess is that Tony's is still open though.

IAHFLYR,

Yes, I forgot the name but that Cost Plus World Market is the place I shopped and what a nice selection of wine.  It was sure a lot less than the cruise ship!  I really did not know you couldn't bring your own on the ship till later in the cruise!  What a break!

tef,

You'll have to let me know ahead, when you get back to Seattle again.  It'd be a good chance to get together, as I live about an hour south.

Hi tryt:

I'll certainly give you a 'heads up' next time I'm in Seattle! This was my first time there and I really enjoyed it! Looking forward to a return trip.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...