12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2012 9:01 AM by artisttraveler RSS

Union Square Marriott, San Francisco

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Usually I stay at the Marquis when visiting San Francisco but wanted to try another property. What a mistake. First, my greeting was OK as the associate welcomed me and told me that she wanted to get me a copy of the 'expanded hours' for the CL over the Labor Day weekend! Bonus....thought I. Not! The sheet I was given was for the regular CL hours....closed Sat and Sun open Sun night for snacks. I informed the associate that the hours looked to be the same as always. She looked and replied, 'Oh, yeah, you're right'. OK...how about breakfast coupons? She made a call and repeated to the person she called....'we don't do that for anyone anymore?' OK. Did you hear that? Yes, I did.....To be fair, the associate did make the effort and did give me a very nice room on the 27th floor looking out over the bay. Pictures are below.

Then, I return Saturday night to find a notice shoved under my door to the wording of...'Dear Elite guest, We value your membership but we have changed hours for the Concierge Lounge this weekend. We are closed Sunday night and Monday night and will be open only for breakfast Monday morn. If you have a question about this call the manager on duty.....No 'sorry for the inconvenience'.......just we're closed. I found that every time you walked by an associate at this property they tried their best not to see you. Only the bellman and security were connected to the customers. They opened the door for you each time you went in and out. I left Sunday morning and there were two 'managers' (I think) standing outside the front door. A male and female. They were disengaged from everyone coming and going. I walked out and the female said to the male...'you're supposed to be greeting everyone'.....I couldn't quite make out his response but it got a chuckle from her. Very classy.

I checked out Monday morning and went to the front desk to apply a gift card to my folio balance. The associate looked at me and dealt with me as though I was a big interruption to her day.....and there was not one other person at the front desk area! It's not like she was busy....... Nobody, other than the front door folks seemed to care at this property. They were all disconnected from the customer and in some cases just wierd. I still don't get why it was a problem to apply a gift card and balance bill the remainder to the credit card on file....but maybe it's just me. I'll just chock this up to a bad choice by me for a hotel. I won't make that mistake again. This property is off my stay list.

I did have a nice room though!

DSCN0040.JPGDSCN0049.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Francisco, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts San Francisco Marriott Union Square
  • Re: Union Square Marriott, San Francisco
    erc Platinum

Boy, it really speaks to the service quality level when a great room can't save the day - ouch. Consistent quality was the saving grace for elites during the current elite perk 'austerity' era, let's hope this was just a one off experience, but like you say, why chance it - off the list it goes.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I can't see myself in San Francisco, but if by some chance I do go there, I won't be staying at this hotel.  Thanks for telling us about your stay.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Tef,

The lowering of standards, i.e., smile, greeting, pleasant attitude, can almost always be traced back to the folks in charge. If the two manager types needed to remind each other that "you're supposed to be greeting everyone"...that really says it all. Sorry about your stay.

Strangely enough I received an e-mailed survey for the property after I left there. It is the only survey I received of all the hotels I stayed at on this trip (five of them). It came from Marriott corporate (I wonder if they are 'looking' at this property for reasons the same as I encountered that have been reported). This survey asked a lot of specifics about areas that were problematic during the stay and allowed for a lot of commentary. I was very candid and detailed about everything that took place at this property. I wonder if I'll hear anything back......

I'll keep everyone posted if I do.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I appreciate the post, Tef.  There are 4 properties quite proximal to one another (JW, Marriott, Stanford Ren, and Marquis), and I was just wondering the other day which one to book.  The Marriott is the cheapest.  Now I know to apply the 'you get what you pay for' principal, or in this case, you didn't get what you paid for.    Sorry.

txnroses Platinum

Standford is very nice. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

thanks, txnroses.  good to know.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We also stayed at the Stanford Renaissance a couple of years ago.  We had a wonderful stay.  I remember being able to hear the street cars, but it was not disturbing.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be looking at it next time I go to SF. It's either the Renaissance as you suggest or the JW that I was told was also quite good.

artisttraveler Gold 17 Reviews

We stayed at the UnionSq Marriott back in June and the experience was very positive. I don't know what happened for your stay but hope you have discussed it with the management there. We were greeted and checked-in early at about 10a from our east coast, god-awful early flight. Check-in was done by one of the managers, Chris W., who was very pleasant and was very helpful in giving us recommendations and directions to places we wanted to see. The CL staff worked hard to make everyone there happy, including very willingly sending down to the restaurant for soy milk. In the evening, there was a group of 'regulars' who brought in pizza (from outside) - they shared with everyone and the CL attendant even heated up the pizza in the CL microwave for us.  I don't remember interactions with other staff but the ones mentioned were terrific.

Well, I can't speak to the CL staff or anything about it, since they closed it for the time I was there. Not sure if they had a 'junior' team there for the Labor Day period, but they certainly embarrassed the Marriott standard.

artisttraveler Gold 17 Reviews

I suspect you are right - the 'junior' team (managers for a day) was in charge.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...