51 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2012 11:08 PM by californian RSS

Kennedy Space Center!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For those that are looking for a good place to take their families, The KSC area is an inexpensive place to enjoy!

There is a lot to do, and I enjoy the FF in Titusville, but there is a nice CY and RI in Cocoa Beach as well.  Here are a few photo's that you may enjoy.

IMG_2527.JPG

If you have an interest in Manatee's, see plenty of them free at Haulover Canal, just North on Merritt Island.

IMG_2528.JPG

Interesting place!

IMG_2529.JPG

There's a manatee, one of many!

IMG_2531.JPG

A pretty place to enjoy nature!

IMG_2537.JPG

Plenty to do, don't forget airboat rides on the St. John's River!

IMG_2538.JPG

Astronaut Hall of Fame, is very special!

IMG_2539.JPG

Enjoy touring on a shuttle replica at AH of Fame!

IMG_2540.JPG

Enjoy a part of history here!

IMG_2541.JPG

Everyone enjoys rockets!  KSC is so special!

IMG_2542.JPG

Enjoy the new building that will house the real shuttle.  You will enjoy the KSC area!us

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
  • Re: Kennedy Space Center!
    rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

We loved our visit there just before the shuttle program was shut down.  Very educational!  We stayed @ the Marriott Grand Vista Vacation Club.  Very easy to get to most places.  The KSC was the highlight of our trip...another check off my bucket list.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

rinny54,

So glad you had a great time!

My family lives there and it is so special to visit them and enjoy the area.  Have me so many space center people that makes it nice to visitl

Thank-you!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Thanks for the pics.  I will be returning there in April.  I was there last year and got the annual pass.  I didn't know about the manatee sightings.  I will have to look for them.  How far out the way are they?

californian,

About 10 miles from Titusville.  Northern Merritt Island, but well worth the drive.  You will see many nature havens along the way.  Enjoy!

I definitely plan to do this.  Thanks.

How close is this to the space center?

californian,

Haulover Canal is in the same area as KSC.  You can also visit Playlinda Beach by KSC, it is a very secluded non-commercial beach.  The manatee watch area is about 10 miles from Titusville, and KSC is about 5 miles from the FF in Titusville.  From the RI or CY in Cocoa Beach you are about 10 miles as well.

Have a good trip, and if I can help answer any questions, please let me know!

It is amazing that I have gone to the space center a lot of times and never knew what else was close.  This site has been good for me due to people like you.  Thanks.

californian,

There is really a lot to do in The KSC area.  Port Canaveral is quickly becoming a major cruise area and there are many places to dine for any budget.  If you like to deep sea fish, you can go out of Port Canaveral to the Gulf Stream and catch Red Snapper, Grouper and ?.  The CY you are going to has beach access and is a nice property.

One thing that I would have liked to do last week, but didn't is see the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse.  It is now open to the public and is close to the original launch pads for the Mercury Program.

If you need any help let me know!

sg1974 Gold

Jerrycoin,

Great post.

We are going there in December and staying in the CY Cocoa Beach.

This makes me look even more forward to the trip!

SG

sg1974,

You will really enjoy Cocoa Beach!  Don't forget to visit Port Canaveral!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Yes, visited some time ago when the kids were younger.  Glad to read that it's fun and still inexpensive.  Nice pictures!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Was just there last week as Port Canaveral was a cruise stop.

Another favorite in the area is Cocoa Beach and Ron Jon's surf shop where they give surfing lessons.

Was having dinner in the Bistro watching everyone boarding the ship with their purchases of the day.  Saw an awful lot of Ron Jon tee shirts returning, along with shopping bags from Cocoa town shopping, and the families with kids and the Disney acquisitions as Disney World is a 1 hr drive from Port Canaveral.

GemPrincess,

Yes, that Ron Jon's is a "Hot spot"!  It's open 24/7 and is always interesting.  The is an interesting pub to visit not far from Ron Jon's and that is "CocoaNuts". It is right on the beach and beach volleyball is very popular.

GP, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Ron Jon's has even made the Cruisecritic blogs as a favorite of families with Port Canaveral as a cruise stop or point of embarkation and disembarkation.  Especially families with teenage and young adult children traveling with them.  They love the fact they can learn to surf in one visit, and the more athletic raved about learning to do handstands on their 1st surfing visit.

GP,

So well put!

Ron Jon's if a special place to visit, there is something there for everyone.

JC,

Glad you brought up this destination, as I think its a much overlooked travel destination with alot of advantages.  Since its off the beaten path, its more reasonable. But its close enough to enjoy the better known places like Disney, or to get off the beaten path with Ron Jon's.  Also, Kennedy Space Center is both fun and educational for kids and adults of all ages.  They have added alot of interactive displays and simulations so that it is a great learning event for all.

Only consideration is in the winter months, it is further north and above the FL snow line.  In the summer months, this makes it more comfortable there going further south.

In any event, its a great travel destination, with something for everyone.

GemPrincess,

I used to be on the Board at both Cocoa Beach and Titusville Chambers of Commerce, and the area is just as you said, a bargain!

For an inexpensive lunch take the family to The Titusville Pier, for a scenic lunch.  Then drive them to Haulover Canal, for Manatee watching!

Thanks for your post!

Lovet the Titusville Pier,

When I 1st developed a seafood allergy, was told to eat shrimp that had not been frozen.  Since all the commercial shrimp boats freeze their shrimp catch on board immediately this is a difficult proposition.

Titusville pier was 1 of 3 places I found that I could get fresh caught shrimp that had not been frozen

There were some smaller places in Maine were they caught their own shrimp as well, and a restaurant in Monterey CA, where one brother was the cook, and the other a fisherman.

GemPrincess,

You are one of the few, that I know who has been to the Titusville Pier!  Did not know about the fresh shrimp, but I have caught a lot of shrimp from that pier.  The Railroad Bridge to KSC is just North of the pier and is a wonderful place to fish.  There are a lot of redfish and other gamefish in the Indian River and they make a great meal.

Have you ever eaten at Dixie Crossroads?  It is famous for their rock shrimp.  You may enjoy a few pictures.  My family lives there so bear with the pictures!

IMG_1564.JPG

The pier is the place for "Fresh shrimp"!

IMG_1562.JPG

Family fun and fine inexpensive food at the pier!

IMG_1574.JPG

Max Brewer Causeway (My Sister in Law's late Father) is the way to Playlinda Beach and Haulover Canal, fun stuff!

IMG_1165.JPG

View from the Titusville Pier

IMG_1163.JPG

Loved ones always enjoy a corner table at the pier!

GemPrincess, I hope you enjoy the memories, and thank-you for letting me know about the fresh shrimp!

Location Brand Hotel
                  Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center

Thanx JC,

Great pictures bringing back memories!

Its been a few years since I have been to the Pier.  Was staying at a Marriott in downtown Orlando for a conference, and asked about fresh shrimp, and the concierge there sent us to the Pier as the only place to find shrimp that has not been frozen.  Xmas 2010 we had Port Canaveral as a cruisestop, and family from Melborne area of FL meet us at the port for some sightseeing.  We were suppose to go to the pier for dinner, but my nephew lost his laptop, so by the time we reported it as missing, we only had time for a restaurant near the ship.

GemPrincess,

Thank-you for the post!

There really is a lot to do in the KSC area.  Port Canaveral has really got to be a wonderful place to get to from Orlando.  The Cocoa Beach area is just as special.

JC,

Everytime I am in Cocoa Beach I can't help but remember that old TV show, "I Dream of Jeanie".

Silly association

GemPrincess,

The stories of the original astronauts is often discussed even today in Cocoa Beach.  I was lucky enough to meet many astronauts and here are a few pictures that I relish:

PTDC0057.JPG

With Fred Haise, Apollo 13, friend at the 25th Anniversary of Apollo missions. This took place at Astronaut Hall of Fame, in Titusville, Fl.

PTDC0044.JPG

The late great, John Denver, Alan Shephard, and Wally Shirra.  John Denver sang a great song "They were flying for me", a tribute to The Challenger crew!  What a great event, John Denver died not long after this event.PTDC0064.JPG

The Space program was always interesting and each space shot was unique, I really miss the Space Program!

JC,

Thank you for sharing your very special pictures!

Reminds me of another interesting place, The Air and Space Museum in WDC.

What is very unique about this museum, is it is the only one I know of, that while you are looking at exhibits, you are liable to hear someone near you talking about how they worked on the exhibit or something related to it.

Thank-you GemPrincess!

You are very special to the MI!

I do enjoy pictures.  You have meet some special people.

Californian,

Thank-you for your kind post.

Travel memories are very special to all of us. I hope all of us have many more.

Picture of the Atlantis above.  I didn't know how to add text so it is here.

The most incredible space show on Earth as Atlantis, the last of the space shuttle orbiters, departs Kennedy Space Center. Atlantis -Celebrate the Journey will mark the beginning of a new chapter as Atlantis makes the 10-mile trip to its permanent home at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex on Friday, November 2.

Another exciting space center event.  I wish I could be there.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Californian

very cool!  thanks for sharing.

I got so caught up in this that I was going to go.  Could still get air on miles, Marriott hotels priced OK but the killer was the car rental.  $50 for a weekend day plus all the taxes.  Oh well, it was a thought.

PTDC0045.JPG

John Denver was a tremendous Space Lover, he was special!

Location Brand Hotel
                                    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We saw the final launch of Atlantis and it was magnificent.  We enjoyed visiting the KSC that morning and it was really crowded, so we will return some day.

I sat in my yard over an hour last week hoping to see Endeavor as it made its' way across the country.  It was scheduled to fly low over Biloxi and New Orleans before landing in Houston and there was a possibility it would fly low enough over us to get a glimpse of it; however, I did not see it.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Impressive, close-up picture!

lonestar,

Saw a lot of shuttle launches and landings and they were always unique and of course very special.

I saw one from Orlando and even from that distance, it was exciting, and then another time drove to the Space Center for a launch.  Got to the viewing area and waited with a lot of excited people and then they scrubbed it during the final countdown.  I went back for the next scheduled time and it did happen.  I am so glad that I did.  It was really something to see.

For your info:  we are now paying the Russians $12.5 for transportation for each trip for one person being sent to the space station.  The last I heard we are having only 1 person there at a time but they need to be relieved after 3 mo.  Since our government feels that we must always have at least one person in the station, we are paying the Russians a minimum of $50/year till we can do it again.  Private industry is working on being able to do so.

californian,

This is , it makes me so when I think about what has happened to NASA.

My brother along with many others may get laid off at KSC if things don't change there.  The economy at the Space Coast is not good.

I think that many do not like what happened.  The budget was very small compared to the rest.  Now that they think that Mars might have had life, maybe another planet has or can sustain life and we could need a place to go.  The human race seems to be explorers.  Look how many of us like to travel to far places.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We ate here when we went to the launch of Atlantis and really enjoyed it.  I had forgotten the name of it.  Thanks for the memories.

taxman415 Platinum

I have never been to KSC but I am very excited since this spring one of my children is going there for their spring field trip and I will be going as a chaperone...

Enjoy!  Its lots of fun, and changed alot since initial visits.  They now have all sorts of interactive exhibits, and simulators.

taxman415,

You will be in for a good time!  If you can take the group to:

KSC

Astronaut Hall of Fame

Cocoa Beach

Port Canaveral

Manatee Park (It's about 10 miles North of Titusville Pier)

If you need a place to have a group dinner or event go to Pumpernickels.  They have great, inexpensive meals, and have a banquet hall if you need one.  They are on Hopkins Street in Titusville.  A family business with great carry-out as well!

taxman415 Platinum

Thanks Jerry we actually were looking for a place for to eat so you suggestion is very helpful...

taxman415,

If you are in Titusville, here are some inexpensive choices:

IMG_2521.JPG

Dixie Crossroads, a famous place, noted for their Rock Shrimp, not expensive and casual, located on Garden Street by US 1.

IMG_0037.JPG

Pumpernickels is at 2850 Hopkins Ave. and is run by a hardworking German family.  The owner, Henry is a friend, and try their Deli.  This is a great place for breakfast as well.  Tell them Hello.

IMG_1143.JPG

Sonny's is just down the street from the FF and I love their inexpensive BBQ!

IMG_0033.JPG

Durango's Steakhouse is 1/2 mile from the FF, on the other side of I-95 and while being a bit noisy, has nice wood fired steaks.  Service can be a little slow at peak times.

If you are visiting any cities around KSC, let me know,  and I may have some photo's or suggestions.  (Please bear with me on the people in the photo's, all loved ones).

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Sonny's is definitely good BBQ.

Likewise, if you just want in interesting, inexpensive and casual but tastey meal try the Titusville Pier.  Learned from GemPrincess, they serve unfrozen shrimp.  It's a fun place to visit as the scenery is very pretty.

I really like gulf shrimp that I can't get at home.  Whenever I am in that area, I try to get shrimp.  so when I am in the area next year, I will definitely thy at least one of these recommendations.

californian,

You will find great shrimp here in KSC.  If you want you can catch your own, no kidding.  You can shrimp from land or get a boat, or do it from one of the many bridges.  Its a great way to spend a night.  Unfortunatly, the best nights are the coldest, windiest, and most miserable times to be out.

Take my advice and just buy your shrimp and relax!

Thanks Jerry.  I will take your advice.  When I was on the island of Kauai, I was at a farmers market and a woman was selling shrimp that were caught that morning.  I bought some and they were really good.  I am looking forward to coming there more than ever.

californian,

Relax and enjoy KSC.  Let me know how I can help make it a special trip.

Thanks Jerry,

I will.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...