21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2012 8:07 PM by tef6178 RSS

E-certificates - more confusion

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I located my e-certification (free Cat 5) that I hope I have used to book Athens and this is what it now says. Note the part that it will 'automatically deduct the points from my account'.  My e-certificate is a free night, so why would points be deducted? Is this something different? If so, it does appear under my Marriott Chase card free night.

Using Rewards e-Certificate for Free Nights
Unused Rewards Certificates may be redeemed as e-certificates for free nights when booking an online reservation. The following request for information will display during the payment process. Select to attach the e-certificate and the free night redemption will be made automatically for you.

Using your Rewards e-Certificate

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: E-certificates - more confusion
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Prof,

No worries.  I see two 'radio' buttons there in your picture, giving you two options.

The first button is clicked (darkened).  That's the button to use your Cat 5 e-cert.  That's what you want, and it's what you clicked.

The second button, which is not clicked, is what you would click if you wanted a new e-cert ordered using points.

But you did not click the second button, you clicked the first button, so you are fine.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pluto....... I've never heard the term "radio" button. Is this another Plutoism or something you highfalutin techies conjured up?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Radio Button has been a term for these "controls" since at least the early 90's. I'm not sure if they were coined by Microsoft or Apple, but have been around since the early days of GUI interfaces.

Mikie...I just googled the Radio Button and read about them on Wiki.... Not sure how this has escaped me for 20 yrs, but I'm now hip, and will add it to my limited vocabulary.

I think I knew about radio buttons as such, but isn't it a recent change that we could book Chase MR card free nights online?  I always had to call before, and maybe they aren't used to that as much now and expected I wanted a pointsaver (despite being very explicit both times).

I love that we still use the word radio as so many other words have disappeared from this (older) person's vocabulary among students.  I taught my first seminar on History of Fear in the Medieval and Early Modern World today, and since it was introductory, I went beyond that and mentioned the fear caused (I wasn't alive but my father was) by the broadcast of HG Wells' War of the Worlds as if it really happened on radio -- and the resulting chaos.  It really was a good transition to talk about what we fear, how we process it, the media that can control it -- but overwhelmingly our own imaginations.

Hey prof,   If you want to throw those students for a loop, ask them when they last used a payphone..... They were part of the landscape not so long ago, but I meet young folks all the time that have no idea what I'm talking about.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

There is a pay phone in the Jackson Lake Lodge.   A short time ago, I tried to use it for a tool free call and it would not let me make it.  It probably only allows pay calls.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

My recollection of the 'radio' is the old transistor....always at the beach in the summer as a kiddo......with the earplugs!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Thanks, Mikie.

Pained, sorry my man.  Even since the PC came on the scene, I guess I thought we were all high falutin' techies.  Man, I think I've been in this biz waaay tooo looong...

Even though I live in central Maine, I haven't seen a pay phone in years.  My guess (based on reporting as well) is that most pay phones are not being used for good purposes these days now that most people have cell phones.  My most serious problem since I got sick and tired of paying for a bundled package with a landline that 67% of the time had no dialtone and quit that part of it is that I forget to take my cell phone with me.  It wants to be my landline and so far has succeeded. Obviously I take it on long trips though can only use it in US airports (I have a British cellphone for abroad), but no matter the efforts I make, I forget to take it with me.  But that's probably me because I'm mostly not at all fond of phone calls (Freudian, maybe?)

But I may have a book interview on CSPAN, so it's now sitting where I can no longer ignore it!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

When booking a redemption online, the first few steps of the process are the same for both point use and promo cert redemption.  When you get to that step of the reservation, it will allow you to either select the button to use points, or the other button to use a promo cert.  This option will only be presented if you have an available, non-expired promo cert that is eligible for use at that hotel.

Hi Prof:

I have seen and received the same as you describe. However, when you look at the reservation confirmation that is sent to you for the e-certificate you are using......the statement on the confirmation that expresses the points used for this reservation as 'zero'.

See below: This is my confirmation statement as copied.......

Summary of Charges

Promotional certificate: 11/27/12
    • Total points for stay:
    Summary of Room Charges Cost per night per room (USD)
    • Sunday, September 23, 2012 - Monday, September 24, 2012
    • (1 night)
    Marriott Rewards points
    (see Reward Description)
    Marriott Rewards Redemption, eCertificate required prior to check in
    Estimated government taxes and fees
    Total for stay (per room)

ADDITIONAL CHARGES

• On-site parking, fee: 25 USD daily
    • Valet parking, fee: 32 USD daily

Reward Rules

Marriott Rewards Redemption, eCertificate required prior to check in

Canceling Your Reservation

• You may cancel your reservation for no charge until 4:00 PM hotel time on September 23, 2012.
    • Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.

Modifying Your Reservation

• Please note that a change in the length or dates of your reservation may result in a rate change.

Hi all,

I only found that a couple of hours ago -- I was used to having to call reps to use Chase certificates, so they were the ones who pushed whatever buttons they did.  But mine does say 20,000 pts. for the reward as the first agent had suggested.  Should I just cancel it and start over for peace of mind?

ProfC

Prof:

First, if your confirmation shows points, then the e-certificate will still show as available on your activity page. If the e-certificate is not there, your reservation should mirror what I copied above and zero (0) points should be on the confirmation.

Hope this helps.

The e-certificate is still there on my activity page, and the 20,000 pts still show on the reservation.  But Andy said it might take a while. Thanks, ProfC

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I booked mine on-line!  Just remember to click reward redemption when booking, and the option shown above will come up!

I'm hoping someone can help me with this because nothing is working.  I have two days almost nonstop, so I don't know if I'll have a chance to call again and everything is the same this morning (unused certificate still there, 20,000 points still in the Ledra reservation.  I decided why not cancel both the Ledra and Amsterdam (more expensive, right category) reservations and start over.  I started with the Amsterdam one and read the instructions about how to use an unused certificate online, which said you do that when you get to the credit card section. I followed all those steps and got to the credit card section, and it won't work. It insists I use my Marriott Rewards card or some other card but does not allow for certificates.  What am I doing wrong?

Bravo to Karen on the MR Platinum line.  I decided even though I have to get ready imminently that I would try one more time.  She said while it looked all right to her, she went off the line a few minutes, because she said it still shouldn't look the way it did to me.  Got off the line, checked, and now the certificate is attached.  Thank you, Karen!!!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ProfC,

Glad to hear the MR Platinum line (kudos to Karen) was finally able to clear this up!  Happy travels.

Definitely - and Karen also emailed me the new reservation that specifically stated Cat 1-5 reservation.

Now....that's good service! Happy travels, Prof! Glad to hear all is resolved!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...