25 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2012 3:47 PM by painedplatinum RSS

How to obtain the "super platinum" status?

cubsscout Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have been told that I am 12 nights away from qualifying for the next status above platinum. From what I understand, once you stay 100 nights you then are elligible for this status. Marriott then takes the top 3-5% of these qualifying memebers. Is this correct and is there any way to increase the possibility of being selected? Also, what are the perks of being selected to this new status? Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How to obtain the "super platinum" status?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

It is my understanding that those who stay the most nights and spend the most dollars for those nights on a recurring annual basis are more likely to be awarded Platinum Premiere status.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

cubsscout Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks for the reply! I figured that was the situation but thought I would check to see if there were any "secrets" that might increase the chances. Thanks again

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

What are the benefits to being a Platinum Premier member?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

L6S,

There aren't many additional benefits. One for sure is a dedicated phone number. A second is a nice letter and a gist. This year was a free subscription to the online WSJ. There is a theory, and it makes sense, that if one is recognized as Platinum Premier, they would be at the front of the line for an upgrade, if everything is equal. 2012 is my first year at this level. I have been Platinum for at least 5 years and averaged around 125 paid nights per year. As far as checkin experiences.... I would break it down like this.. 20% of the time I'm recognized as Platinum Premier, 50% of the time I'm recognized as Platinum, and the other 30% not recognized at all. 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Isn't there also a 25% discount on food at Marriott during the stay?  Seems like I recall something like that.

With the dedicatd phone number is it different than the Platinum dedicated phone number? Congratulation on this achievement! Three years ago I had 225 nights in one year, and I don't believe i was recognized for this, so is this something new?  I just hit 600 Lifetime nights  and 1,750,000 points!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I don't think the higher number of nightly dollars has anything to do with it because I got a lower room rate for my husband to have billed his company.  Also, he did get a discount on the meals at Marriott last year.  It was printed on the back of his PP card, but this year, the gift was the digital WSJ on a smart phone instead.  But even though he spent a lower nightly rate, we've been in Marriott rooms since Jul 4, 2010.  There have also been extra nights in other places for vacation travel between cities and business back home so we get more nights than 365 a year. 

bboyd28 Platinum 7 Reviews

Based on lifetime dollars spent, and lifetime nights.  I have 1,500 lifetime nights and have had the last two years

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

When is the PP status given out, and for what time frame is it based on?  As I thought someone mentioned that they just received it recently.

L6S,

This is my first year and I believe it was real close to Jan 1......Probably a bit later 'cause I recall Marriott taking a few days to close out the year. My Black PP card has a valid thru 02/13 date.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm no spring chicken, but isn't carrying a black pp card, or any other for that matter , 'old school'?  I have never shown my card and never asked for it.  my wife carries it and flaunts it when traveling alone, but I think it is a relic from the past and no longer necessary.  thoughts?

It has managed to wedge itself in my wallet, Shoe. That is strange on the surface, because I have so many hunks of plastic of one sort or the other in a drawer, that I'm not sure what any of them say..... By the way, since it still occupies space, I have actually tossed it on the front desk twice this year. I had my wife and daughter with me on one leisure stay and could only book a king room. When I checked in I handed the FD associate my CC and the Black card to see if that would score me a suite....SOL was what I got.  The second time was when the associate had never seen Platinum Premier come up on the screen before and wanted to know more about it.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Last years PP card had the restaurant discount on the back that anyone had to show to get that discount.  This years has the WSJ smart phone subscription if one is interested in that.  And there's the dedicated phone line that is so much more pleasant even though the call does revert back to the regular line at times.

I'm part of the "wives' club" who flaunts their husband's "black" card because our names aren't allowed to be included even though we often do the booking and travel to see about things at home.  (I've read on this site before that the cards aren't actually black, but dark gray because black seems to be reserved for some other type of card, but they look black to me, too.)  Sometimes they have to have points moved to my name, but lately, they haven't bothered doing that.

jmring Platinum 5 Reviews

No additional awards or perks as far as i am concerned.  See my post from a few days ago about Marriott Rewards.  I have decided to leave the program because Marriott does not recognize this level with any additional "perks".  To wit, my last stay due to a pre-booked room was yesterday at the Marriott OKC and i was given a standard room, not even on the lounge floor.  When i asked about a room on the lounge floor, none were available, therefore, i didn't even try to ask for an upgrade or larger room.  Why waste the breath.

I write this as I am in a Doubletree in Dallas, TX, where they upgraded my room (without asking) and provided vouchers for the restaurant.  Mind you, I had to start at the gold level with Hilton, but in the last week with them, I have been upgraded to a larger room at every property.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...