23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 12:58 AM by kharada46 RSS

Do you earn points when you book with e-certificate or reward points?

leanprocessrog Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I was wondering if you earned reward points when you book with either the e-certificate or reward points?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Do you earn points when you book with e-certificate or reward points?
    Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

You would earn points on incidental expenses if the property normally awards points for that activity (such as meals at a full service property)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

You will, however, still receive the welcome gift points (500 for full service hotels, less for others) when you stay on an e-cert or points.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

If you can get the gift certificates at 135,000 points for gold and platinum, you do earn points and night credit.  The 135,000 points get you $1000 in gift certificates and then you would get back 15,000 points if you stayed at a Marriott that gave 10 points per dollar when the 50% bonus was added in.

Those certificates normally cost 190,000 points for the $1000, but there again, you also get points back and nightly credit, which would really help sometimes towards a Mega Bonus reward.  

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

So once you use a gift certificate to pay for a stay, it's not actually a e-certificate or rewards points stay, right?

husker:

You are correct. When gift cheques (that's what Marriott calls them, not certificates) are used, they are used as cash to pay for charges (room or incidentals). An e-certificate stay or rewards points stay requires no cash. The gift cheques as discussed are used to pay for charges, not e-cert or rewards stays (although they can be used to pay for incidental charges incurred while on a free stay).

worldtraveller Gold 1 Reviews

can you buy gift cheques and use it for RC stay ? where can I find more information ?

so gift cheques are like cash and they have to accept it in the hotels as payment ? or can they deny ?

sorry ....have never even thought about that and normally book via e-certificates .. so I am not sure

what is the better deal.

They are good at Autograph Collection, but it doesn't mention RC on my cheques.  It does say they can't be used at ExecuStays or Executive Apts., so I wouldn't count on RC without some assurance from the RC, probably in writing.

They can be denied for a rate that requires ID such as AAA, AARP or sr. citizen rate, or military.  I've never had them denied for sr. citizen or AAA rate, though.  I had problems with them once at a CY when the clerk told me they had to be presented at check in as if they were coupons, which they aren't and the conditions don't say that you have to.  CS wouldn't back us and said they had to side with the mgr. on site, who was the clerk we were having trouble with.  He was also talking with the mgr. by phone, I guess, and gave us a new bill, taking the cheque.  She called us a short time later and gave us a generous amt. of pts. and apologized saying she'd have to make sure her personnel knew more about them.  I would stay there again just to see and because it was nice.

Most places don't seem to know how to use them, though, so I take the cheques to the desk now while nobody's there and just give them time to look them up or get help.  There is a number at the bottom for them to call. 

'...most places don't seem to know how to use them, though, so I take cheques to the desk while nobody's there and just give them time to look them up or get help......'

Very true and also good advice. It's what I do.

designdeva Platinum 3 Reviews

Have looked on website and can not find where to purchase these gift certificates.  Can you give me more info please.

Go to Marriott Rewards and look for the cheques.  It was hard for me to find, too.  Look at the top line of the sign in page.  If you have trouble, just call the 800 number and they'll help.  They've always been so helpful to me.

Marriott Cheques

Marriott Cheques — Save your cash and use Marriott Cheques instead for golf, dining, and more. They're available in various amounts and currencies and accepted at participating hotels worldwide. 
        Reward Points View Details & Order Reward
        Elite Only - $100 Marriott Gift Cheque25,000   View  
        Elite Only - $1000 in Marriott Cheques135,000

View  

~

Let your points take you farther. Redeem online for flights, car rentals and more … it’s easy!

Also,

Marriott Rewards

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Do they have an expiration date?  If you buy $1000 ... how does it arrive?  Meaning is it loaded on one gift card?  For example, could I give a smaller amount to a family member to use?  Sometimes they want a free room cert, don't really understand the value, and I hate to say no when they want me to spend 20,000 points when I can get a cheap leisure rate for the given night.

Yes.  They expire one year from date of issue.  They say they can't be used for special rates like AAA, or sr. citizen, but I've had no problem with sr. citizen rate so far.  Also, they aren't secure.  If you loose them, they aren't replaceable.

They can be used for all Marriott originating charges and you don't have to be a registered guest.

They are transferable to other people as a gift, which is part of the reason they can't be protected.

There are 20 cheques worth $50 each.

No change can be given, so I usually will pay anything over the $50 increments.  I did decide to let them have 60 cents rather than to worry about it once, though.  They had been really nice anyway and given us points, free parking, and a welcome gift of ice cream and wine.  :-)

Pretty soon, I'll order the 3rd set since Dec. of last year since I only have $150 worth left of the set I ordered in May.

The next best value to me is the $1000 credit on a cruise for 145,000 points. 

I definitely recommend these, though, since you can judge your best value so easy.  Points or cheques?  Nights counted with cheques and not counted with points.  And a return of at least 15K points if used at a place that gives 10 pts. per $1.    

anandtd Platinum 7 Reviews

I see the points needed for $1000 certificate is 190k. Could you please let me know where i can get $1000 cruise certificate for 140k points..  I am in the process of booking a cruise vacation

curiousone Platinum

I had one time where I was going to let them have a couple of dollars on a cheque. Rather than have a couple of unassigned bucks in the system, they applied a credit to my Visa card!

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I've never used these so don't know much about maximizing points/gift check/gift card usage.   However I just saw an offer to get a 10% bonus when you purchase a Marriott GiftCard online up $1500  during October.   Is this a good deal?  

It would be a good buy with the 10% off.  That would be $100 free for $1000 gift card.  Gift cards are where you pay cash or use a credit card.  If you have a Marriott credit card, you would also get points on top of that from my understanding since we don't have the credit card.  I think these are used as a prepaid gift card and the balance is deducted each time with no expiration date.  I'm pretty sure they would be used like cash and you'd also be credited with stays and points for these.  In my opinion, this would be the best deal from all that I've read concerning expiration and so on if you want to spend the cash up front.

The gift cheques use points.  When I last got them in May, they were 135,000 points for $1000 worth in $50 increments and they expire in a year.  I'm leaning towards getting a 3rd set since Dec of last year since we're almost out of the 2nd set.  The advantage is using points and being able to choose the best value for cash vs. points for place.  My personal feeling is that you would compute the $1000 as $100 for 12,000 points and then whether or not you use them to meet a mega bonus could bring the cost down even further if you needed the stays.

You were really lucky.  That might not ever happen again.  :-)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...